PDA

View Full Version : Top Democrats won't attend anti-war rally in Washington

BigBadBrian
09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Top Democrats won't attend anti-war rally in Washington

BY STEVEN THOMMA

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - As the anti-war movement arrives in Washington this weekend, many top Democrats are leaving.

Nationally known Democratic war critics, including Howard Dean, the chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, Russell Feingold of Wisconsin and John Kerry of Massachusetts, won't attend what sponsors say will be a big anti-war rally Saturday in Washington.

The only Democratic officeholders who plan to address the rally are Reps. Cynthia McKinney of Georgia and John Conyers of Michigan.

Today's leading Democrats head a party divided over the war, and many leaders are wary of standing with anti-war activists, who represent much of the party's base. The divide between anti-war activists and Democratic leaders underscores a challenge the party faces in the 2006 congressional elections and beyond. Some activists say that Democrats such as Clinton and Kerry who criticize the war but refuse to demand a timetable for withdrawal are effectively supporting the status quo - and may not merit future support.

En route to Washington for the rally, anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan protested outside Clinton's New York office. "She knows that the war is a lie, but she is waiting for the right time to say it," Sheehan told about 500 cheering supporters. "You say it or you are losing your job."

Spokesmen for the Democrats who are skipping the anti-war event all said they had schedule conflicts. But some leading anti-war activists aren't buying it.

"There are a lot of people here who are wondering, where are the Democrats?" said Tom Andrews, a former Democratic House member from Maine who's now the national director of Win Without War, one of several groups that are organizing three days of protests against the war in Washington starting Saturday.

"The Democratic Party has an identity crisis on this issue. We need voices. We need leadership," Andrews said. "But fear is driving them."

The rally comes at a time when a growing number of Americans want a timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, a proposition that both President Bush and many leading Democrats reject.

A poll this week by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center found that 51 percent of Americans want to keep troops in Iraq until it's stabilized, but the ranks of those who want to set a timetable to withdraw have grown to 57 percent from 49 percent in July. (Evidently some people chose both answers.)

At the same time, a growing number of grassroots Democrats are dissatisfied with their party's leadership in Congress. The percentage of Democrats who are happy with their leaders dropped from 64 percent in May to 49 percent now, the Pew survey found.

Dean, who rallied anti-war activists with his fervent opposition to the war during his 2003-2004 presidential campaign, already was scheduled to spend the weekend meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus, spokesman Josh Earnest said.

"His views on the president's handling of the war in Iraq are well documented," Earnest said. The anti-war rally, he said, is "not something the party was involved with."

Kerry planned to be in his home state this weekend, a spokeswoman said. At Brown University on Monday, the senator ripped Bush's conduct of the war, saying the president should admit "countless" mistakes in the war and proclaiming that "real leadership stands up to special interests and sets the course for future generations."

Feingold was scheduled to be out of town, a spokesman said. Feingold is the only national Democrat weighing a 2008 presidential campaign who's endorsed setting a timetable to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq.

Clinton also didn't plan to attend, a spokesman said.

"Our job is to make them pay a price for continuing to support this war," said Bill Dobbs, a spokesman for United for Peace and Justice, another group that's organizing the anti-war weekend in Washington.

Sixty-six members of Congress have formed an "Out of Iraq Congressional Caucus" that wants either immediate withdrawal or a timetable to withdraw. None of the party's congressional leadership and none of the likely candidates for president are members.

Anti-war organizers said they expected 100,000 people Saturday. A rival group plans a rally Sunday in Washington to show support for the war.

Link (http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/politics/12715225.htm)

ELVIS
09-23-2005, 10:15 AM
What ??

No Dean ?

No Feingold ?

No Hitlery ?

No Kerry ?

:elvis:

FORD
09-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What ??

No Dean ?

No Feingold ?

No Hitlery ?

No Kerry ?

:elvis:

Dean has a scheduling conflict. Though with Conyers and McKinney at the event, perhaps the Congressional Black Caucus should have rescheduled??

Of course Hillary and Judas won't be there. The DLC has been for this war all along. And they know damn well the Democratic base is pissed at them for it.

As for Feingold, after yesterday I'm starting to think he's been replaced by a pod person. :(

Warham
09-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Don't worry, Harry Belafonte will show up!

Cathedral
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
So will Phil Donahue, lmmfao.

So, not only are they protesting, they are making threats too...how lovely to be an American these days, eh?

I myself would like a timetable on a pull out, but immediate withdrawl is out of the question and an unrealistic expectation.

bobgnote
09-23-2005, 08:11 PM
The anti-war rally that is worth some shit is the one with the vets integrated into determined civilian sectors, with media interested in their wank.

Mostly though, I am weaz, so I watch and wait. Democrats are such sucks, and then in a big gathering? The sucks all get to inhaling, and THEN . . .

Legendary suck holes, who need to get kicked and fucked, and that's the better looking ones, is Democrats all out pretending at once.

FORD
09-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Shut up troll. :rolleyes:

thome
09-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Its the peoples rite to march although i think for naught.

Did you see Donahue on O'reilly last night that dude is gone.

No i don't I was just flipping thru the channels.

He said" the Death toll of Americans has doubled in the last (amt of months.)
And guess what.... BILL SO HAS HALIBURTON STOCK ".....I almost sh@t myself.

WOW this mans best days are long gone like his mind.

DrMaddVibe
09-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Hillary Clinton Praises Belafonte's Anti-US Rant

2008 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton praised anti-American activist Harry Belafonte on Thursday after Belafonte charged that U.S. foreign policy had "wrecked the planet."

"There's a lot of people out here who are really pissed off," Belafonte told the Congressional Black Caucus, with Mrs. Clinton and Rep. Charlie Rangel standing nearby.

"Our foreign policy has made a wreck of this planet," Belafonte complained. "I'm always in Africa . . . And when I go to these places I see American policy written on the walls of oppression everywhere."

The former calypso singer's anti-U.S. rant won immediate praise from Hillary, who stepped up to the microphone and told the crowd: "What Harry said is so important."

In quotes aired nationally by radio host Rush Limbaugh, Clinton explained that in last year's presidential election, "we heard a lot . . . about moral values. And you know as well as I do that there's a big move on to get people to forget that it's not only private morality, but public morality that needs to be looked at and considered."

Hillary then charged that the Bush administration had made "a concerted effort to make it even harder for poor people and non-English-speaking people and elderly people to vote in this country."

Clinton was followed to the podium by Rep. Rangel, who wasted no time in disparaging President Bush as a racist.

"George Bush is our 'Bull' Connor," Rangel railed. "And if that doesn't get to you, nothing will be able to get to you, and it's time for us to be able to say that we're sick and tired and we're fired up and we're not going to take it anymore!"

Mrs. Clinton offered no objection to the president of the United States being compared to one of America's most notorious racists.

Rwanda happened under Clinton...I guess he hates black people more than Bush

Katrina...799 dead...some of them white!

Rwanda...An estimated 1 million people were killed within a three month period in 1994!

Do the math. Clinton REALLY hates blacks!

Warham
09-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Cindy come and me want to go home!

Cathedral
09-25-2005, 12:15 AM
I was wondering the same thing that the folks at the DU were wondering.

Why wasn't there more buzz about this protest in the media?

If i have the cash to stage a protest i'm going to raise funds to put an invite on every popular tv channel in the country.

I saw nothing about it except for this site, this thread actually.

Warham
09-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Because it was a massive failure in Crawford, TX.

Satan
09-25-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Because it was a massive failure in Crawford, TX.

Yeah, such a "massive failure" that you're still whining about it. And such a failure that the Chimp had to go running to the Mormons in Utah and Idaho to protect him from the mean Veterans families.

Except he got protested there too.

The only massive failure was Junior's recent "vacation"

DrMaddVibe
09-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Does anyone think its bizarre behavior to create multiple id's and carry on conversations with them like they're really other people or manifestations of divinity?

ford...you're mental.

Nickdfresh
09-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Hillary Clinton Praises Belafonte's Anti-US Rant

2008 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton praised anti-American activist Harry Belafonte on Thursday after Belafonte charged that U.S. foreign policy had "wrecked the planet."

"There's a lot of people out here who are really pissed off," Belafonte told the Congressional Black Caucus, with Mrs. Clinton and Rep. Charlie Rangel standing nearby.

"Our foreign policy has made a wreck of this planet," Belafonte complained. "I'm always in Africa . . . And when I go to these places I see American policy written on the walls of oppression everywhere."

The former calypso singer's anti-U.S. rant won immediate praise from Hillary, who stepped up to the microphone and told the crowd: "What Harry said is so important."

In quotes aired nationally by radio host Rush Limbaugh, Clinton explained that in last year's presidential election, "we heard a lot . . . about moral values. And you know as well as I do that there's a big move on to get people to forget that it's not only private morality, but public morality that needs to be looked at and considered."

Hillary then charged that the Bush administration had made "a concerted effort to make it even harder for poor people and non-English-speaking people and elderly people to vote in this country."

Clinton was followed to the podium by Rep. Rangel, who wasted no time in disparaging President Bush as a racist.

"George Bush is our 'Bull' Connor," Rangel railed. "And if that doesn't get to you, nothing will be able to get to you, and it's time for us to be able to say that we're sick and tired and we're fired up and we're not going to take it anymore!"

Mrs. Clinton offered no objection to the president of the United States being compared to one of America's most notorious racists.

Rwanda happened under Clinton...I guess he hates black people more than Bush

Katrina...799 dead...some of them white!

Rwanda...An estimated 1 million people were killed within a three month period in 1994!

Do the math. Clinton REALLY hates blacks!

Got a link for this piece of shit AssVibe, or is it more right-wing blogisphere crap, quoting out of context and using selective editing?

BTW, BUSH killed nearly 2000 US servicemen that didn't need to die, in a shitty war (that may result in Islamic Fundamentalists taking control of Southern IRAQ).

BTW, BUSH must hate AFRICAN blacks because of the staggering numbers dying of poverty and AIDS his Administration is doing largely nothing about.

DrMaddVibe
09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Look it up yourself dumbass!