PDA

View Full Version : Steins.... wot do U dink?

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 05:54 PM
http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=044

Im interested in this one. Any op's on it? Im hooked on the lightweight and emg's. Mistake or not?

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 06:27 PM
c'mon ppl. this is serious here. Im a week away from ordering. ( a week because "Keith" from Musicyo.com emailed me assuring me that other colours will be available within days... which Im guessing, means months.) Any colour ideas? All kinds of pastels, but Im thinking a very dark orange, black, dark purple/blue....maybe light yellow...)

Brett
09-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Fugly man, spend it on something else. Never like those things, they don't even look like guitars.

Nitro Express
09-23-2005, 07:20 PM
The original Steinburger guitars were made from polymer plastics and graphite composites, not wood. They were great sounding guitars. I have no idea how the musicyo ones compare but they aren't made like the originals.

DrMaddVibe
09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I've played the bass version...it wasn't light!

Keeping it in tune was a real bitch too.

I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it...strike that...I wouldn't buy one.

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Fugly man, spend it on something else. Never like those things, they don't even look like guitars.

fugly man? :D bitch. Ive always had a facination with them, and the emg pick ups that give a harsh tone. its priced at $200. What other "good" guitar can you get for $200 nowadays?....

I HATE the single coil pick up sound and Ive already got a strat copy and Ive got a les paul knock off in the form of a slammer. What else is there? Im peddled out. My amp is good, for the space and sound i require. (Line 6- highly rec.) Flying V? heard they were awkward as hell and heavy... Well the Jacksons anyways.

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The original Steinburger guitars were made from polymer plastics and graphite composites, not wood. They were great sounding guitars. I have no idea how the musicyo ones compare but they aren't made like the originals.

I read another post from another critic page, saying in bold "We do not sell anything from MusicYo".... Can that be good? LOL Right away I was like...Uh? oh ok... sounds like Musicyo has a few enemies. :)

Nitro Express
09-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Musicyo is ran by Gibson. Gibson owns the Stienberger name. All I can say is the model you are interested in isn't remotely like the ones Ned Stienberger made in the 1980's. It's a wooden look a like. Maybe it's a good guitar for the money and maybe it's a dissapointing piece of shit. All I can tell you for sure is unless you play any guitar before buying you have no idea what you are getting.

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Musicyo is ran by Gibson. Gibson owns the Stienberger name. All I can say is the model you are interested in isn't remotely like the ones Ned Stienberger made in the 1980's. It's a wooden look a like. Maybe it's a good guitar for the money and maybe it's a dissapointing piece of shit. All I can tell you for sure is unless you play any guitar before buying you have no idea what you are getting.

very good point. The Music City here where I live do have quite a few selections, but they didn't have the ones I wanted to play. Behind glass they have the "bullseye" Zakk Wylde les paul for $4000. A Few BB King autographs... No Steins. No Jacksons. Not even any kramers.

bummer.

pawn shops here i come. I bought my other three there, so maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe it would be cheaper to put some emgs on the Eddie kramer I have instead?

Cathedral
09-23-2005, 10:56 PM
The new Kramers are shit, that's all i can say about music yo junk so far.
Didn't the original Steinbergers have a Trans Trem on them?

You get what you pay for, so check their return policy and go for it if the price is the deciding point for you.
But it is going to be heavy if it is made out of wood, especially at that price.
But if you can't return it for a full refund if it sucks, keep shopping.

Would I buy one? Nope...and i love Steinbergers.

Matt White
09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
For $200.00???

Why not? Give it a try!

I bought a Danelectro for about that much a few years ago.....

And I Love that guitar!!!!

Big Troubles
09-24-2005, 09:11 AM
30 day return no questions asked. $200. 4 to 7lbs, depending on the model. GT Spirit or the Pro L series I believe. For that weight Im thinking its not made out of wood, except the fret-board. I dunno. I always wanted to play something far more unique than what I was playing. But then again, its never the guitar you play, it's how the guitar is played.

Chances are, I'll buy it and let everyone know how pissed or delighted I am. thanks for the heads up guys.

Oh and BTW, I was eyeballing the Kramer pacers and Strykers....LOL They look nice and they are cheap, Im guessing their stock plummeted years ago.

twonabomber
09-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Didn't the original Steinbergers have a Trans Trem on them?

not all of them. they have R-trems too.

the EMG's in that MusicYo Steiny aren't real EMG's, they are EMG Select. kinda like Duncan Performers, not the real thing, their cheaper little brother. still, it's $200. could do a lot worse for a lot more money.

back in 95 i happened to find a Steiny copy made by Cort. got a 3/4 size Strat body with Strat-style pickguard and pickups, no trem. i think i paid $125-150 for it. it actually doesn't sound too bad. currently it is in pieces, i pulled the (real) EMG's out of my Hamer and i'm gonna put 'em in the Cortberger. gotta fab up a new pickguard. i may try to find another one and make a new body for it, just for shits 'n giggles.

DrMaddVibe
09-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Buy the Kramer and paint her up!

Big Troubles
09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Buy the Kramer and paint her up!

:D I like the headstock dive on them Kramers ever since 84... Hmm... These ones happen to come with emgs. (or imitation ones) reviews are good. Price is cheap. conflicted. confused. Wonder if drummers have this much shit to think about? Isnt a symbol a symbol? a snare a snare? maybe not.

Last_Child
09-24-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't shit about this...

so..

How do you tune one of those?

twonabomber
09-24-2005, 05:30 PM
they've got tuners on the bridge.

twonabomber
09-24-2005, 05:44 PM
lots of good info here...

http://steinbergerworld.com/

Last_Child
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Hookey.

Big Troubles
09-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Im gonna order the steinberger. black. 30 day return. $319, with gear bag and a book on other fads of the 80's. :D

jojo2371
10-09-2005, 11:59 PM
lol check out ed roman's website ,he will tell u all about musicyo,those are not real steinbergers ,buyer beware ,ed steinberger has nothing to do with those cheap imitations!!!!! $300 bucks? a 12 year old in korea prolly made it for $17 !!!!!!!!

twonabomber
10-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Ed Roman has about as much to do with Steinberger as Ned Steinberger does.

besides...Ed Roman is an asshole.

and buyer beware ANYTHING on MusicYo...Gibson is buying up classic brands and turning them into import lines.

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Im gonna order the steinberger. black. 30 day return. $319, with gear bag and a book on other fads of the 80's. :D

Bad idea...

Piece of crap...

:elvis:

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Isnt a symbol a symbol?

You mean cymbal ??

BTW, Stein is not short for a Steinberger...

I don't know where you got that from...

Either way, don't buy that piece of shit...

Then again, go right ahead, I don't give a fuck...

Throw your money away on that piece of shit...

Good luck getting $50 on ebay next year...

Don Corleone
10-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Never being a big fan of them myself. I do know on the newer ones the trems get fucked real easy (I've seen a friend go through 2 in 6 months before he got rid of the guitar)

Big Troubles
10-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You mean cymbal ??

BTW, Stein is not short for a Steinberger...

I don't know where you got that from...

Either way, don't buy that piece of shit...

Then again, go right ahead, I don't give a fuck...

Throw your money away on that piece of shit...

Good luck getting $50 on ebay next year...

God Damn you are one angry fucker. I swear sometimes I think you have a vagina. ;)

They sold out anyways, so fak 'em. Where did I get the idea that "Stein" was short for Steinberger? I didn't get that idea, I shortened it for the thread title.

What attracted me to the the STEINBERGER was the size and weight. I want something I can handle easily, something that screams unique and cool. Right now I own a a les paul shaped Hamer(double humbuckers), and an eddie replica kramer body/fender neck with a single coil pick up. I hate it. I

so I would like something lightweight. Unique and prefer 2 emg humbuckers. (price tag no more than $1500)

suggestions?

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Maybe one of these ??

Click! (http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_viper.htm)

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Click on the Olympic White one and change the finish...

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 09:18 PM
click! (http://www.music123.com/ESP-Viper-400-i126056.music)

ELVIS
10-11-2005, 09:52 PM
http://www.samash.com/images/items/lg_EV400VSBX.jpg

Don Corleone
10-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Elvis, what the fuck is up with you today?

ELVIS
10-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Nothing...:)

Don Corleone
10-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Fair enough

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 08:40 AM
I hate the "horns". Nice guitar otherwise though. Im not sure why Angus Young plays the one he does. 3 way toggle, tone/volume, emg's! very cool. Now something without "horns".

what do you play?

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511059/

check this one out.

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 08:44 AM
this one looks sweet too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511512/

ThrillsNSpills
10-12-2005, 11:39 AM
If you're going to go the cheap Steinberger route, you should check out Hohner. They're better than the Spirit series.
Offhand I don't know if they have any headless guitars other than the broom style.

ELVIS
10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
what do you play?

Real Fender Stratocasters...

All customized by me similar to Yngwie's, with scalloped fretboards and Dimarzio HS-3 pickups...

I have a couple vintage Strats that are untouched...

I also have various other guitars and bases lying around...

ELVIS
10-12-2005, 12:17 PM

check this one out.

I would never waste $2500 on any guitar!

ELVIS
10-12-2005, 12:18 PM
That Jackson might be nice...

ELVIS
10-12-2005, 12:21 PM
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/5/6/273056.jpg

Musicians Friend...

Real EMG's

$699

Nitro Express
10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
I can't stand that headstock or logo. It's a good looking guitar until you see that cheap ass looking logo and cheesy headstock.

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
If you're going to go the cheap Steinberger route, you should check out Hohner. They're better than the Spirit series.
Offhand I don't know if they have any headless guitars other than the broom style.

broom style was the one I was looking at, but they have only left handers left. Of course that was going through Music Yo.

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/5/6/273056.jpg

Musicians Friend...

Real EMG's

$699

I looked at that one as well. The headstock and LTD logo threw me... Looks like 24 frets too. Nice finish. Great price too.

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Fender eh?? Hmmm...

Throw some emg's on this and you've got yourself a sale! :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/515207/

$399. Cheap. Great quality. Looks good.

Big Troubles
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
That Jackson might be nice...

yup. me likes it too. very slick. good price. well fair anyways.

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 02:06 AM
I like this...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/3/230023.jpg

Those pickups should be just fine...

The guitar might need a professional setup, maybe not...

twonabomber
10-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Right now I own a a les paul shaped Hamer(double humbuckers),

import or USA?

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
import or USA?

Made in Indonesia. :D

It actually plays prety nice. Just a looking for something light and I do want to dabble with some emg's. I think that's why i figured Steinberger. (Until everyone told me how wrong I was LOL)

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I like this...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/3/230023.jpg

Those pickups should be just fine...

The guitar might need a professional setup, maybe not...

Well being in a small city, we have ONE place to go to get a pro set up. Sad I know. My nephew bought a re-issue Zakk Wylde "tiger striped" Gibson and wanted to install original emg's. Very cool. Except, he thought that because I used to solder PS2 chips for everyone in town that I'd know what I was doing installing EMG's. LMAO! Not quite. He brings the guitar and emg's to Music City....4 days ago..... They told him "it shouldn't take long"? Nice.... So Im hoping whatever I end up with is ready to play.

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
EMG's come with easy directions...

I have one Stratocaster, a 1983 model with a scalloped maple fretboard with real EMG's...

It sounds good, not great, and I hate having a battery in my guitar...

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 11:33 AM
EMG's come with easy directions...

I have one Stratocaster, a 1983 model with a scalloped maple fretboard with real EMG's...

It sounds good, not great, and I hate having a battery in my guitar...

these instructions were anything but easy. It was like chinese stereo instructions. If the guitar had no pick ups it might have been easy, but with emg's already installed, it meant more work. Uninstall, then install. Blah... and yeah the battery is fucked up. That was another thing that needed to be soldered, the 9 volt connection. Shit... I hated having to change my battery for my pedals, I can only imagine how long a 9 volt lasts for emg's..

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Not long, especially if you forget to unplug your guitar, which I never can remember...

My dad was an electronics technician in the Navy, so my brother and I learned basic electronics early on...

We have experimented with all kinds of crazy guitar wiring...

One of my strats has a push-pull wah circuit that's pretty neat...

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Not long, especially if you forget to unplug your guitar, which I never can remember...

My dad was an electronics technician in the Navy, so my brother and I learned basic electronics early on...

We have experimented with all kinds of crazy guitar wiring...

One of my strats has a push-pull wah circuit that's pretty neat...

you wired the push/pull wah yourself? very cool. The only soldering Ive ever done was for Sony playstations. Made some good coin in town for doing so too. :D

you still play often?

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm playing now...

I have a home recording studio that I'm sitting in as I type...

The Wah circuit is cool to just set in an eq'd position...

It's noisy though...

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm playing now...

I have a home recording studio that I'm sitting in as I type...

The Wah circuit is cool to just set in an eq'd position...

It's noisy though...

Your own studio? Fuck Im talking to the AFKA Elvis. ;) Very cool. You play bass as well I assume?

The noise you speak of, is it feedback from the wah? I like the idea of setting it up, like its fine tuned the way you want. Do you find you change your eq settings according to the "mood" to which you play? 50,60's... boxy/ crunchy rock... 80's/90's...arena/reverb type set up? Know what I mean? Im forever changing my presets... I just can't stick to one "sound". I guess I still like experimenting. Did it like crazy with all the pedals. Still do.

Big Troubles
10-13-2005, 09:44 PM

its just the neck (maple) and the trem. Now R-locking instead of Trans.
That, so far is the only differece I know of.

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 11:02 PM

The noise you speak of, is it feedback from the wah? I like the idea of setting it up, like its fine tuned the way you want. Do you find you change your eq settings according to the "mood" to which you play? 50,60's... boxy/ crunchy rock... 80's/90's...arena/reverb type set up? Know what I mean? Im forever changing my presets... I just can't stick to one "sound". I guess I still like experimenting. Did it like crazy with all the pedals. Still do.

I'm constantly playing with tone...

My basic sound is a bit like Yngwie, but maybe not as clean...

The wah in my guitar is just a bit hissy. Randy Rhodes sometimes used a wah just cracked open a little to get his nasily evil sound, as I like to call it, and that's what I had in mind with the wah circuit...

I also like trying to get a hendrix thing going on. I just bought the new Digitech JHE pedal, very cool. It sounds more like Hendrix than anything I've been able to do, ever...

And yes, I play bass almost daily...

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 11:04 PM
its just the neck (maple) and the trem. Now R-locking instead of Trans.
That, so far is the only differece I know of.

The original had a graphite neck and a composite body and the trans trem...

That new thing only looks like a Steinberger...

Leave it alone...

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Click on this pic...

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/1d/c6/7c_12.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberger-USA-GL-2T-GL2T-Trans-trem-II-Near-MINT-EXC_W0QQitemZ7357814236QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem)

Big Troubles
10-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Click on this pic...

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/1d/c6/7c_12.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberger-USA-GL-2T-GL2T-Trans-trem-II-Near-MINT-EXC_W0QQitemZ7357814236QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem)

page not responding...

Big Troubles
10-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm constantly playing with tone...

My basic sound is a bit like Yngwie, but maybe not as clean...

The wah in my guitar is just a bit hissy. Randy Rhodes sometimes used a wah just cracked open a little to get his nasily evil sound, as I like to call it, and that's what I had in mind with the wah circuit...

I also like trying to get a hendrix thing going on. I just bought the new Digitech JHE pedal, very cool. It sounds more like Hendrix than anything I've been able to do, ever...

And yes, I play bass almost daily...

the wah is a very nice function for spicing up leads. Never been a big fan of Hendrix. I like the songs he did do, but for me I dont see any furthering with his technique of guitar playing. If you played "like Jimmy Hendrix" but on an original song of your own, people will still think you are playing a Jimmy Hendrix song. God I hope that made sense. I like the style, ya just cant do too much with it. (well I cant anyways- and I have not heard any other band use a wah throughout their songs that weren't a cover of Hendrix) The wah I have is the Dunlop wah. Basic but effective for cutting into leads and generally fucking around. My nephew I was telling you about (Zakk Wylde 2nd reissue Tiger guitar) spent $200 on the "Wylde wah" and swears by it.

Big Troubles
10-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I guess if I buy a Steinie now quite a few ppl will be "I told you so" in a few months time. LOL Maybe I will stay away. Musicyo is getting a shit load in at the end of the month.

That Fender you posted on the last page was nice. Maybe I will shop Musiciansfriend a bit more. ;)

btw, very cool that you play the bass as well. you do a loto of recording I assume? No band though?

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I've been in bands...

I work every weekend, but I've been thinking of maybe joining a band in the New Orleans area...

We'll see...

But, check out ESP (http://www.espguitars.com/home.htm) guitars some more...

They may have what you're looking for...

Big Troubles
10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Im stuck in Jackson mode. I was checking out the V's and some of the lower priced guitars and came across this one. I think I might have posted it earlier. I also just realised that Musiciansfriend doesn't ship outside US. Jesus... So now Im trying to track down a website that ships to Canada.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511497/