PDA

View Full Version : Rock Star INXS may return (with Queen? Van Halen?

frets5150
09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Rock Star INXS may return (with Queen? Van Halen?), and may lead to Canadians on other US reality shows

Rock Star: INXS executive producer and creator Mark Burnett “is negotiating with CBS to produce a second edition of Rock Star next summer,” the Calgary Sun reports. If that happens, the show could look to find a lead singer for another group, or it could go the Popstars or Making the Band route and create a brand new band. The paper reports that “[g]roups like Queen and Van Halen need singers, [Burnett] said, or he could form a brand new super group.”

In addition to a second season, something else might come out of the series: Canadians might be able to apply for US shows such as Survivor. J.D. Fortune, the winner of Rock Star: INXS, and Burnett says, “If you look at that situation, it certainly bodes well for the future of getting a Canadian on Survivor.”

Why the change now? The Calgary Sun says that “U.S. networks have restricted their reality shows to U.S. citizens. Burnett says some of it is because of legalities — Canadians might not be bound to the same contractual restrictions — but really it’s all about ratings. The presumption was nobody in Texas or Florida or California wants to cheer for a final four tribal member from, say, Brampton, Ont.” But now that a Canadian has won a show that was fairly popular in the US, that could change.

Good Fortune for Canucks on Survivor [Calgary Sun via TVtattle]

:rolleyes:

Unchainme
09-23-2005, 11:12 PM
If Ed wants to really send the legacy of Van Halen down the shitter, He Would Make Rock Star:Van Halen, And Judging from recnet history he probably will :(.

POJO_Risin
09-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Dude...he could do fucking RockStar: VH 10 times over and not take the band any lower...

it won't be Van Halen...or even Queen...

I could see a super group being put together though...perhaps even with Navaro involved.

There will be another season though...

Shaun Ponsonby
09-25-2005, 06:37 AM
Why would Queen do it? They are doing great with Paul Rodgers. They are hapy with Paul Rodgers, and they're making a lot of money.

bueno bob
09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Rock Star: Van Halen? Well, fuck, I'd probably watch it...may even try to compete :D

What? I'd sing for them.

bueno bob
09-25-2005, 10:03 AM
They oughta change the name of the show to "Who Wants to Sing for an Irrelevant Band?"...

Mezro
09-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Any band could do it for the publicity and to jack up catalog sales.

The band could pick a new singer, sign the guy to a 90 "hired gun" contract and then part ways without ever recording a song or playing a live date.

Mezro...the benefit: cash, exposure and not much work involved...nobody would turn this down...

Rikk
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I agree. That's my whole problem with the fucking show. People acting like there's a story where there shouldn't be...hype, if you will. Funny that before this T.V. show, INXS couldn't get arrested. They've had two lousy singers since Hutchence died, and didn't sell a record and had attempts at tours that failed miserably. This was all hype..."Who will be INXS's new lead singer?" Funny, but the world didn't give a shit before.

And don't get me wrong...I think they were a good band back in the day. But Hutchence was the fucking spirit of that band. Can't people get past the idea that original lead singers are essential to the make-up of a band?

Shaun Ponsonby
09-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Don't know much about them-but Hutchence WAS the band.

And, the only other singer I've heard them with is Terence Trent Darby, who was an odd choice.

Shaun Ponsonby
09-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Can't people get past the idea that original lead singers are essential to the make-up of a band?

Not always true-look at Deep Purple and Iron Maiden.

General Zod
09-25-2005, 05:54 PM
This is all nonsense!!!:mad:

The worry over who should sing for INXS is all nonsense when measured against the fact that I now own your very lives.

Kneel before Zod.

thome
09-25-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree. That's my whole problem with the fucking show. People acting like there's a story where there shouldn't be...hype, if you will. Funny that before this T.V. show, INXS couldn't get arrested. They've had two lousy singers since Hutchence died, and didn't sell a record and had attempts at tours that failed miserably. This was all hype..."Who will be INXS's new lead singer?" Funny, but the world didn't give a shit before.

And don't get me wrong...I think they were a good band back in the day. But Hutchence was the fucking spirit of that band. Can't people get past the idea that original lead singers are essential to the make-up of a band?

I say this early in the show and people are like your wrong man.
Its a way for a the artists in a band to make some dough.
That simple, I did like it and Marty should have won .I saw it as a TV show nothing more.Hutchence was one of my all time favorites. Late 80s .
If they were serious they would have had some auditions and put
out a Cd. Lets see what becomes of it ?

POJO_Risin
09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
2 lead singers since Hutchence died?

Terence was never their front man...just did 3 gigs with them...and never a complete set...

Jon Spencer...was the guy that was officially named their front man...I think that was his name...and they worked with him for 3 years...never an album I don't think...

I would watch SPED and the jokettes do this show in a heartbeat...because it would be a fucking joke...

I'd prefer to watch Brooke Burns strip though...

Rikk
09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
That's the thing...it's entertainment. I, too, would rather watch a chick play with herself. If people would just admit they watch the show for the dramatic value, then cool. Don't pretend that INXS needs a new singer. Does VAN HALEN need a new singer?

Hell, the North American public would be glued to their T.V. if Menudo suddenly had a CBS show dedicated to finding new members. It would become a hot new item for maybe one season. And you'd have people at this site trying to defend it in threads such as this one.

POJO_Risin
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
You're getting carried away...

no way fucking MENUDO lasts 3 weeks...

it's got to be something that a group of people give a shit about...

I think there are plenty of people that still care about INXS...

I think CBS was hunting for a certain demographic...with it being on at 10:00...and they got it...

VH would be the same demographic...

POJO_Risin
09-25-2005, 07:32 PM
And I wouldn't watch ANY chick play with herself (almost any)...but I WOULD watch Brooke Burke play with her toe...

rustoffa
09-25-2005, 07:37 PM
The thing that struck me about what I saw of that show was how the remaining INXS members looked like clowns. Maybe not clowns....more like INSYNC forty years from now. It's called aging dipshits...embrace it and leave the outfits @ home.

The thing is, they're goona do something that's viable...think about INXS....that dance-friendly shit lends itself well to a smashmouth/euro-trash ska revival.

You know what wouldn't be viable? Rock Star T Rex, Rock Star Janis Joplin, Rock Star Plasmatics, exetera.

Fuck that show, fuck INXS, and I'd like to fuck Brooke Burke.

POJO_Risin
09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
So we need to change this thread to...I'D FUCK BROOKE BURKE...LMFAO...

Rikk
09-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Agreed.

Seriously...if it's about INXS because of viability, then fuck viability. Viability has also tried to bring with it a lesson that Sheryl Crow's songs aren't boring when the truth is, they are but plenty of us would like to be Lance Armstrong delivering the pizza for an evening.

bueno bob
09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Agreed.

Seriously...if it's about INXS because of viability, then fuck viability. Viability has also tried to bring with it a lesson that Sheryl Crow's songs aren't boring when the truth is, they are but plenty of us would like to be Lance Armstrong delivering the pizza for an evening.

The real question is, who's more boring - Sheryl Crow or Melissa Etheridge?

rustoffa
09-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Agreed.

LMFAO!

DrMaddVibe
09-26-2005, 06:46 AM
RockStar: Nirvana

RockStar: Blind Melon

RockStar: The Police

RockStar: Soundgarden

Rikk
09-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
The real question is, who's more boring - Sheryl Crow or Melissa Etheridge?

An interesting one...and surely a topic that we could all explore if we had the disposable income to go out and purchase all their albums, the time to listen through them all and the non-alcoholic beer to cry into afterwards, sad about relationships 'n' stuff.

Rikk
09-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
RockStar: Nirvana

I would send a hitman after Grohl and Novoselic if this ever happened. That said, this is one of the most guaranteed non-reunions in history. Hey, the SEX PISTOLS only lost their second bass player that didn't even play on anything. For NIRVANA, they lost their everything. One of my favorite bands, but unless they find a way to uncremate Cobain, cure the gunshot would that destroyed his entire brain and the front of his face and then convince him that THIS TIME he should not kill himself, I don't really see it happening.

RockStar: Blind Melon

Funny, now this I can almost see happening. The only reason it won't is because the band really only had one major hit. Also, they were definitely not pop content the way INXS was. BLIND MELON was actually a creative, talented band with a lot of electicism, and I just can't see this being pulled off for a show like that.

RockStar: The Police

This would be funny for the laughs alone. STING from THE POLICE is surely dead...first, because nobody could ever properly imitate him, let alone replace him...and second, because the original STING, the one that used to write cool songs 'n' stuff and was actually worthy of respect, well, he's been dead since maybe after the second solo album. Anyway, this is one that the public would never buy.

RockStar: Soundgarden

I can't see the band getting back together minus Cornell and trying to pull something like this off. This is a band with too much integrity, and fans would definitely not accept it considering Cornell wrote most of the songs too. Furthermore, it was Thayil more than anyone that wanted to pull the plug...not Cornell. Cornell wanted to keep working and touring. Thayil has been the virtual stranger since 1997.

bueno bob
09-26-2005, 11:04 AM
An interesting one...and surely a topic that we could all explore if we had the disposable income to go out and purchase all their albums, the time to listen through them all and the non-alcoholic beer to cry into afterwards, sad about relationships 'n' stuff.

Unfortunately, my wife is UTTERLY FANATICAL about Melissa Etheridge and listens to hardly anything else (save Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrissette, that "Bitch" song by Meredith Brooks, and occasionally Meat Loaf, The Monkees, and that "Arms Wide Open" song by Creed), so I could pretty much tell you anything about Melissa Etheridge you like...how all of her albums virtually sound the same...how all of her song topics are essentially about her personal triumph over her love life problems, or being "The Only One" who's right for whatever girl she's in love with from moment to moment...oh, she did a song called "Scarecrow" about some kid who was tied up and beaten to death for being gay, too...and I think she wrote a song about being holed up in a hotel in London somewhere once...shy of that, lyrically, there's not a lot of variation to speak of. Which may go a long way as to explaining why she's been virtually hitless since the "Yes I Am" album of...'93, I think? Anything she actually releases as a single vanishes off of the radio about as quickly as it appears in favor of repeat playings of "I'm the Only One" and "Come to My Window"...I guess those two songs are going to go down in history as her versions of "War Pigs" and "Iron Man"...

No argument, Melissa Etheridge will NEVER see the kind of momentum she did in '93/'94 again.

However, now that she's triumphed over cancer, I'm sure that I'll be subjected to more "personal triumph" songs with her next album. On the plus side, though, at least they won't be "personal triumph" songs about her failed relationships... :rolleyes:

Given the choice, I'll take Sheryl Crow any day of the week, honestly. At least there's some musical and lyrical variety with her shit. With Melissa Etheridge, if you've heard one of her albums, you've heard all fuckin' 8 of them. Were it not for the lesbian community buying up all of her shit like it was going out of style, Melissa would be playing to packed houses of 15 people in bars at this point, I've no doubt.

PHOENIX
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
The most likely direction for this reality show is to stick to a pop music platform. So i wouldnt be surprised if the next band looking for a lead singer would be the Cars.

bueno bob
09-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Actually, The Cars have already decided on me. I've told them they need to open all of our upcoming shows with "Hello Again".

Supermodels, line up, I'm coming...

Shaun Ponsonby
09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
CAT

DrMaddVibe
09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Actually, The Cars have already decided on me. I've told them they need to open all of our upcoming shows with "Hello Again".

Supermodels, line up, I'm coming...

With me on bass!

TheManWithNoName
09-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Some blog hits:

3. The guys from INXS are now old and really, really delusional about themselves. This ain’t a comeback. They might get a hit album out of all this exposure but I’m pretty sure that it’s a one-time deal. Without all the television 3 times a week things will cool off, but quickly. And next season it’ll be Rock Star: Van Halen or whoever.

I'm betting this has been posted elsewhere, but I read on some shit site a couple of days ago that there's even a thought that KISS would sign on to do the show to hire new performers to don their makeup and carry on the KISS franchise.

Rockstar: KISS would be the most confounding of all jokes to ever hit the air.

Shaun Ponsonby
09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I think I've soiled myself.

TheManWithNoName
09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
What a fucking train wreck ROCKSTAR: KISS would be...with Stanley and Gene sitting there...hiring a bunch of tools to take over for them.

We all know that Kiss is a shadow at this point...

but man...you want to talk about "soiling" your reputation...

Keeyth
10-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey, no one has metioned Rockstar SUBLIME.

No, seriously about the only thing I'd watch is David Lee Roth picking out a backup band...

Hey, now THAT'S an idea! A reunion of Van Halen, sans Alex, and a reality show where they pick a new DRUMMER!! :D!

Yeah! Now THAT I'd watch!

daone
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
So if they did a Van Halen INXS dealio... they could have Dave, Sammy, Gary... and who was that chic that was gonna sing for Van Halen if she had balls... and a couple of other people on their competing for the spot that has always rightfully belonged to Dave.

I think the show would have entertainment value.

And if its what it takes to get Dave back into the folds... why the fuck not?

Keeyth
10-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Oh c'mon, are you serious? Neither of the parties involved would be interested or go for something like that in a million years...

thome
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Given the choice, I'll take Sheryl Crow any day of the week, honestly. At least there's some musical and lyrical variety with her shit. With Melissa Etheridge, if you've heard one of her albums, you've heard all fuckin' 8 of them. Were it not for the lesbian community buying up all of her shit like it was going out of style, Melissa would be playing to packed houses of 15 people in bars at this point, I've no doubt. [/B]
Great post given the chance id rather go deaf than hear another word
from either.

Etheridge used to play all over KC in the Early years local bars and
dance halls You have no idea how much she sukked back then.

I couldn't stand her then and used to walk out on her .

I tried she is the worst.Maybe its a guy thing but that Lesbian Hook
is so pathetic.

Our gay love is so beautiful, YUK.My OP