PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page Made Honorary Citizen of Rio De Janeiro

rustoffa
09-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Jimmy Page Made Honorary Citizen of Rio De Janeiro

The former Led Zeppelin star was honored for his work helping street children.

Legendary guitarist Jimmy Page has been made an honorary citizen of Rio De Janeiro for his work helping underprivileged street children in the Brazilian city.

The former Led Zeppelin star received his honor in a ceremony at Casa Jimmy (Jimmy's House), which he opened in 1998, in Rio on Tuesday.

Speaking at the event, Page said, "The greatest satisfaction is not the decoration. It is knowing that I am able to help someone who needs help."

Casa Jimmy, run by British charity Task Brasil, offers Rio De Janeiro street kids food and clothing, provides job training, and assists pregnant teenagers. It has so far assisted over 300 children.

State legislator Paulo Melo said, "Jimmy is not a Carioca (Rio resident) or a Brazilian but he has solidarity with Brazil."

Page, 61, first decided to help Rio's poor children when he was in the city in 1994 to promote an album and witnessed a fight break out between two street gangs.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2005

Soul Reaper
09-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Good for Page, hope he continues doing what he's doing.....

BrownSound1
09-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I've got nothing but respect of Pagey.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-25-2005, 03:29 PM
If things were right on this planet, Jimmy would be a honorary citizen in every city where he has played.
And Dave would be the honorary President of this earth.:)

Matt White
09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Jimmy is making up for a lifetime of misbehavin'!!!

thome
09-25-2005, 09:23 PM
I like the fact that if they wouldnt have honored him i would never
known of his humanitarian effort .Shows hes really sincere.

Unlike most Personalities who do these type of things for another excuse to get thier face in the Press.

Jahuli
09-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, Jimmys the best isnt he?

Soul Reaper
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli
Yeah, Jimmys the best isnt he?

do i detect a hint of sarcasm in that?!

Seshmeister
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I always get nervous when I hear about pedophiles running childrens charities...

Nitro Express
09-27-2005, 01:32 AM
I met Jimmy Page a few years ago at a charity fund raiser. I was expecting a burnt out, wierd rock star. Who showed up was a propper British gentleman in a very nice suit. Jimi Page was elequent, fun to talk to, and was a real gentleman with the ladies. He had the long lost edequate of a former age. He was very British. Propper British. I couldn't believe it. Man, it was hard to believe this was the dude who had all those sexual escapades at the Hyatt House, was a herione addict, and owned an occult book store. I thought Page would be kind of creepy. He was very far from that.

ODShowtime
09-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I always get nervous when I hear about pedophiles running childrens charities...

you couldn't suck the sweat from Jimmy's dragon pants

Seshmeister
09-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I know, I'm far too old.

BrownSound1
09-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Don't you have him mixed up with Pete Townshend?

Seshmeister
09-29-2005, 07:59 AM
http://www.stryder.de/rest/Groupie_Central_Lori_%20Maddox.html

ODShowtime
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I know, I'm far too old.

touche' or however you spell that

what is the age of consent over there anyway?

Seshmeister
09-29-2005, 09:03 PM

I think Jimmy sticks to that now but he used to go younger.

Terry
09-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Wasn't Page hooked up with Lori Maddox when she was 14 years old and he was, like, 31? Think that's where the pedophile reference comes into play.

Anyway, nice to hear he's doing good works, helping others, etc. Agreed that celebs giving to charity seems more genuine when it's not accompanied with a self-generated press release.