PDA

View Full Version : Bret Michaels Trying Out Country Music

Sarge
03-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Bret Michaels Trying Out Country Music
Thu Mar 25,10:04 AM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - When Alan Jackson (news) sang "Gone Country" several years ago, everybody thought it was a satire. But it's getting more real every day. The Tennessean reports Poison lead singer Bret Michaels is close to signing a country deal, on the new indie label Lofton Creek Records.

AP Photo

Michaels lived in Nashville for a few years in the late 1990s and was back there this month spending time with singer-songwriter Jeffrey Steele (news), who recently signed with Lofton Creek. Reportedly, Michaels is planning a country version of his song "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." And he's already dipped his toes into a country career. He makes a cameo in Tracy Lawrence (news)'s upcoming video for "It's All How You Look At It."

Michaels web site confirms the singer's transition to country. The home page shows the former pop star donning a cowboy hat in photos with Brad Paisley (news), Uncle Kracker and Keith Urban (news). He also reports that he will release a country CD called "The Other Side of Me" later this year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=495&ncid=762&e=7&u=/ap/20040325/ap_en_mu/michaels_country

Mr Grimsdale
03-25-2004, 01:38 PM
i thought he'd been cuntry for a long time

LooseMenace
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
"Planning a country version of Every Rose..." ???
Say what? If it gets any more country, it'll be bluegrass.
Bret, just....leave us alone. Ty Tabor and Doug Pinnick need the attention more than you do, you no-hair-havin' Pennsylvania punk. Cowboys don't wear leopard-skin Stetsons, either.

BrownSound1
03-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Poison sucked, Bret Michaels sucked, country sucks.

PhxRocker
03-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Bret Michaels will release a country CD called "The Other Side of Me" later this year.

FUCKING FAGGOT!! :blow2:

Mr Badguy
03-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Ha ha, this is so funny.

Poison are/were my wife`s favourite band ( although she`s since went the way of all housewives, with all the "Turn that shit down!" crap ).

She will freak when she sees this.

What a fuckin` sellout.

Mr Badguy
03-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Ere, Rikki Rokket`s hairdo is straight out of a granny`s hairdresser.

And CC looks about 80.

He should get a blue rinse.

Jeez, to think those guys were once "cool".

Hollywood Jesus
03-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Cool move to me.

Right now, a lot of country tunes are closer to Vintage VH than anything on rock radio. "Hell Yeah" Montgomery Gentry, "Good Little Girls" Blue County, "Chicks Dig It" think Chris Cagle, "One Hot Mama" Trace Adkins...

Plus think of the the almost-country sounds of Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top and the like.

Hardly a sell-out move by Michaels. Seems more like finding an audience for the music he's already makin'. Hell, our own DLR has dabbled in Vegas show tunes and a Travis Tritt duet.

FORD
03-26-2004, 09:43 AM
At the rodeo
In the old man's truck
Behind the bushes
Lookin for a sheep to fuck
Down in the basement
Behind the moonshine still
And baaaaaaby...
Talk dirty to me!

Mr Grimsdale
03-26-2004, 09:49 AM
maybe cc will prove totally inept at playing the banjo too

Mr Badguy
03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FORD
At the rodeo
In the old man's truck
Behind the bushes
Down in the basement
And baaaaaaby...
Talk dirty to me!

QUALITY!

These are better than the original lyrics.

Roy Munson
03-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
At the rodeo
In the old man's truck
Behind the bushes
Down in the basement
And baaaaaaby...
Talk dirty to me!

You owee mee a neew keybpard!~

twonabomber
03-27-2004, 04:16 AM
every thorn has its rose...every cowboy picks his nose.

ELVIS
03-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Yee hah...:rolleyes:

FORD
03-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Yee hah...:rolleyes:
\
Why don't you drive up to Nashville and see if you can play on his record. Hell, even Elvis played guitar better than CC Deville ;)

Mr Grimsdale
03-28-2004, 03:50 PM
i bet i can't

actually i probably can

diamondD
04-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Last summer, they played a show here, and the night before the concert, Brett came down to the restaurant of the hotel they were staying at. There's a sushi bar there I was at and he played some acoustic songs. Not really surprised after hearing him that night that this is something he wanted to try.

BrownSound1
04-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
Cool move to me.

Right now, a lot of country tunes are closer to Vintage VH than anything on rock radio. "Hell Yeah" Montgomery Gentry, "Good Little Girls" Blue County, "Chicks Dig It" think Chris Cagle, "One Hot Mama" Trace Adkins...

Plus think of the the almost-country sounds of Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top and the like.

Hardly a sell-out move by Michaels. Seems more like finding an audience for the music he's already makin'. Hell, our own DLR has dabbled in Vegas show tunes and a Travis Tritt duet.

Dude, if you would have had the whole country thing crammed down your throat since birth like I have you would feel a lot differently about it.

Country music today is this, a huge songwriting machine that spits out songs to be recorded by cookie cutter artists. (Sounds like pop music doesn't it.) No one has any originality anymore, and that is what is most sickening to me. Although I never cared much for the music, I will tip my hat to anyone who does their own thing, and frankly those people aren't making music anymore.

BTW, never liken ZZ Top to country again...They don't sound like any country, if anything some country bastard ripped THEM off. SRV?? you should be shot for even thinking that. Don't confuse a "Southern" sound with country, because they aren't the same thing.

FORD
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
SRV's biggest influence was Jimi Hendrix, which is obvious from his style of playing and his choice of cover tunes. If there's anything "country" included in his blues sound, it must be a subconscious thing from growing up in Texas.

Now on the other hand, I do remember a few ZZ Top songs that were borderline country, with steel guitars and all. And they DO wear cowboy hats on stage sometimes. But not enough that the Nashville establishment is begging for their next album.

As for country bastards ripping them off, it's probably no surprise that ZZ Top, Skynyrd, The Allmans, and every other southern rock band of the last 30 years has influenced modern country as much as Hank Williams or Johnny Cash.

Far as I'm concerned, it's all good. I can find something worth listening to in just about any form of music. Except boybands, disco, and cheese ballads.

PhxRocker
04-16-2004, 01:55 PM
In my opinion there's a big difference between Country and Southern Rock, and it fucking pisses me off when people confuse the two!

I love good Southern Rock like: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, etc......but I HATE Country music!

SRV wasn't so much a Southern Rock artist as he was a Blues artist....