PDA

View Full Version : 'Little Rascals' Actor Thomas Bond Dies

Matt White
09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
LOS ANGELES Sep 25, 2005 — Thomas Ross Bond, who played Butch the bully in the "Our Gang" and "The Little Rascals" serials of the 1930s, has died. He was 79.

Bond died Saturday of complications from heart disease at Northridge Hospital, said his manager, Frank Marks.

Bond played a member of the Gang named Tommy. After his first year he was dropped from the cast but returned later in the role of Butch, the archenemy of Alfalfa.

Bond appeared in dozens of "Our Gang" and "Little Rascals" features before outgrowing the role.

Born Sept. 16, 1926 in Dallas, Bond got his start at the age of 5 when a talent scout for Hal Roach studios approached him as he was leaving a movie theater with his mother.

The scout "asked him if he'd be interested in acting, (said) he had a great face and he could set up an appointment with Hal Roach in L.A.," Marks said.

His grandmother drove him in what, at the time, was a rugged journey: "It was all dirt roads from Dallas to L.A," Marks said.

In the 1940s, Bond played Jimmy Olsen in two Superman movies and appeared as Joey Pepper in several installments of the "Five Little Peppers" serial.

In 1951, Bond quit acting and went into television directing and production work before retiring in 1991.

Bond is survived by his wife, Pauline, son Thomas Ross Bond III and a grandson

:( RIP Butch

Soul Reaper
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
On some episode of The Simpsons, Moe got fired from the Little Rascals....reduced to a bartender...not enough LARG!

Soul Reaper
09-27-2005, 12:22 PM
The 1990s Little Rascals was goddman awful...it's been on SKy Movies a few times....

Nitro Express
09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
The original Our Gang series produced by Hal Roach in the 20's and 30's are timeless. My dad loved watching the Rascals, I loved watching the Rascals (a local TV station showed them after school), my kids love watching the Rascals on DVD, my grandkids and greatgrandkids will still be loving the Rascals. Timeless. Like a good Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy movie.

The modern remake movie is an absolute discrace. The producers and directors should be spanked vigorousely with a toilet plunger for discracing such a legacy.

Hardrock69
09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I think he was thast surviving member, though I could be wrong...

Matt White
09-28-2005, 12:22 AM
There can't be many left......

BRILLIANT SHOW

"YUM YUM...EATTUM UP!!!"

BrownSound1
09-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Several years ago I bought a huge VHS box set of Little Rascals episodes...one of the best things I ever got on video. Later they released them on DVD, and I bought them again. LOL

My favorite eras are the Jackie Cooper and the young Spanky ones. I detest the later ones when Alfalfa and Spanky are freakin' teenagers and they added Froggie and Robert Blake to the cast. Kind of like the Joe Besser Three Stooges era...they sucked big time.

diamondsgirl
09-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

Born Sept. 16, 1926 in Dallas, Bond got his start at the age of 5 when a talent scout for Hal Roach studios approached him as he was leaving a movie theater with his mother.

We have the same birthday. :cool:

different year :p

The Little Rascals were cool to watch when I was a kid. I would love to see those shows again. Buckwheat kicked ass.

Matt White
09-29-2005, 01:23 AM
:DI got my kid sister a Kitten when she was 11 years old...she named him WHEEZER after the kid on THE LITTLE RASCALS....

He lived to be 18 years old...

She said recently that it was the BEST Birthday gift she has ever gotten!!!:cool::p

Hardrock69
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Buckwheat Kicks Ass!!!

Antman
10-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I always thought he looked like Buster Poindexter aka David Johansen.