09-28-2005, 06:46 AM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46552

Panhandle broadcasting:
Air America crumbling?
Liberal radio network asking listeners for donations to help spread message
Posted: September 27, 2005 9:52 p.m. Eastern

By Joe Kovacs © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Air America's Al Franken

Air America, the liberal radio answer to Rush Limbaugh, is now asking its listeners to send in money, leading some analysts to say the network is "crumbling."

The network, featuring voices including Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, has developed a program where people become "associate" members by contributing cash.

On its website, Air America lists the benefits of membership, stating, "In return for your help, we'll send you a monthly Associates insider e-mail with the backstage news from our shows and our headquarters. When we take Air America Radio on the road, we'll invite you to meet our hosts and progressive leaders in your community. And for gifts of $50 and up, we've got free stuff to send you."

Among the "free stuff," Air America is giving contributors three bumper stickers to help spread word about the programming. Gifts of $100 or more entitle listeners to "a stylin' yet functional tote bag," and for those donating at least $250, "our hosts and staff will personally thank you at this level of giving on AirAmericaRadio.com and on the air."

"We know we can't achieve this next stage of growth without significant help from you, our loyal listeners," said the network in an e-mail to supporters, according to Mediaweek, which said the "unusual move for commercial radio" was "more common to noncommercial stations and political action committees."

The problems at Air America were the subject of a segment tonight on "The O'Reilly Factor" on the Fox News Channel.

"It is really almost comical that they're putting on these sort of panhandling pleas to their audience members," WorldNetDaily columnist Michelle Malkin told Bill O'Reilly, saying bad content was key to the demise. "They've got a trail of debts, a trail of creditors. There's two stories really here. The crumbling of Air America, and the failure and the refusal of the rest of the mainstream media to cover it as a financial, political and entertainment media story."

Malkin was among the first writers to document a scandal at the network, involving hundreds of thousands of dollars reportedly diverted from the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club in New York to Air America. The network recently repaid the club $875,000 after the word of the diversion seeped into the national media.

Radio analyst Brian Maloney told O'Reilly, who also hosts a radio talk show, the company clearly had a bad business model, and he's not sure it can survive.

"As things stand now, they may be down to their last couple of months," Maloney said, "but that could change at any moment if [George] Soros or one of the other big guns comes in, steps to the plate and puts up some cash. But otherwise, I think things are looking bleak. They're overpaying the air talent, they're fending off lawsuits, they're overspending. They just put a brand new studio facility in. They didn't need that. That was at Franken's insistence and now he's not even going to use it. He's moving to Minnesota. So they're wasting money, they're not bringing it in. It's a mess."

But some, like media instructor Donna Halper at Emerson College in Boston, are not so sure the network's obituary should be written just yet.

"The early stumbles of a new network like Air America prove nothing," Halper, a radio consultant for 25 years, told WND. "The fact is that most talk-show hosts, no matter what their politics, have to build an audience and a commercial base slowly. Some will succeed, others will vanish."

As WND recently reported, a California radio station pleaded for advertisers to sponsor the liberal programming of Air America shows it broadcasts, claiming it could not get a single ad.

Limbaugh reacted to that news, saying, "I think this is the lesson for all of you who wish to show some sort of financial revenue income by carrying liberal radio. You have to orient yourself to fund-raising, not commerce. Commerce has never been part of the recipe here. ... You are doing something good for the cause."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
A big Karma bump!

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
September 14, 2006 -- All-liberal, all-the-time Air America is denying intense rumors that the ratings-challenged radio network will declare bankruptcy this week and attempt to reorganize to stay on the air for the November elections.
A high-level source told The Post that Rob Glaser, the Real Networks founder who rescued the 2-year-old network from its first financial crisis, "walked away last week" and took his moneybags with him.

Earlier this week, as first reported in The Post, Air America laid off six people and shuffled its on-air lineup - including deleting Jerry Springer and returning him to independent syndication.

Radio Equalizer, a blog that closely monitors Air America, claims the lefty net hasn't been able to pay its Associated Press bill and that staffers "have been bracing for the worst possible news."

Late yesterday, Air America spokeswoman Jaime Horn denied rumors of doom.

"If Air America had filed for bankruptcy every time someone rumored it to be doing so, we would have ceased to exist long ago," Horn told The Post. "No decision has been taken to make any filing of any kind."

Air America's executive suite has been a hotbed of intrigue with a revolving door ever since the New York-based home of Al Franken and other lefties launched as an "antidote" to conservative talk radio in April 2004.

Franken called the first chairman, Evan Cohen, a "crook" after a promised $30 million infusion never materialized and a loan scandal involving a Bronx charity last summer.

More recently, record exec Danny Goldberg abandoned ship.

Air America has about 87 affiliates nationwide. Earlier this month, the network was evicted from flagship WLIB and moved to a station with a weaker signal, WWRL (1600 AM).

http://www.nypost.com/business/whiff_of_bankruptcy_jolts_air_america_business_joh n_mainelli.htm

It's the same...all over again.

DEMON CUNT
09-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Wow, you seem to really be getting off on this shit. How can you type and jack off at the same time?

Why do you even care about AA?

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
I care about its demise!

LMAO!!!!!

Run along now demented runt...don't you have some fecal pictures to surf for? I guess your buddies really like the gay guys too.

DEMON CUNT
09-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I care about its demise!

LMAO!!!!!

Run along now demented runt...don't you have some fecal pictures to surf for? I guess your buddies really like the gay guys too.

What a misserable little man you must be.

Star Wars avatar = never gets laid.

thome
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
It's just like -Food Stamps- and -SRS- they are asking for-- feed me clothe me give me that -QUOTA- JOB- now!

Like all Liberals .
Because -I'm not good enough-- I'm not smart enough-- an dog gone it, nobody likes me.-

Ohh! Ouch, This Has Gotta Hurt .

OPPs, Bang Pow! Crashing.

Maybe a Naked Gay Parade for Air America..?It won't earn any money
but it let's everyone know of thier Rites!!! to what, noone knows...........

Graroughaloughs big unshaven gash and Margaret Camel Cho's split
beaver section could really be needed walking down Broadway.

I lost alota friends here baby, i got no time to mess around ..with the truth.

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Awwwwww, somebody doesn't like Darth Maul...get him a hankie!

"Miserable"? You've never met me, how would you know?

What's your defination of somebody that has a fascination with posting pictures of shit, vomit and gay guys in a political chatboard on a David Lee Roth fan forum? Happy? Well adjusted? Articulated?

Stop before you REALLY embarrass youself!

thome
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM

What's your defination of somebody that has a fascination with posting pictures of shit, vomit and gay guys in a political chatboard on a David Lee Roth fan forum? Happy? Well adjusted? Articulated?

Stop before you REALLY embarrass youself!

Nickdfresh
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
What a misserable little man you must be.

Star Wars avatar = never gets laid.

Or has a fat wife, lives in a trailer, has a family that hates him along with most people that have ever spoken to him for more than ten minutes.

Nickdfresh
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM

LMFAO!:D Says the douche bag that claims all liberals are miserable! Priceless!

Nickdfresh
09-14-2006, 02:28 PM
BTW, I'm locking this shit. How many threads do we need on AA, and Ms.BitchVibe crowing about it's supposed demise for over two-years now...