PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown Traffic??

fret_buzz_blues
09-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Ok, so I downloaded an apparent cover of Crosstown Traffic from a P2P. It said it was an unreleased song by David Lee Roth. Anybody heard it, and know when it was recorded or somethin'?

DlocRoth
10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
It's real.

FORD
10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
I believe this was a YFLM outtake, recorded around 1993-94. It's even turned up on the net as a "Van Halen" song, though anyone with one functional ear could tell the Lying Dutchmen had nothing to do with it.

I'm guessing the song was pulled from YFLM because it didn't fit the vibe of the record, but it would have fit the "Diamond Dave" album perfectly. Too bad they didn't do that :(

fret_buzz_blues
10-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Yeah...I was thinking it was an outtake. Great song, if only it had better sound quality...

spmusicplyr
10-03-2005, 03:28 AM
yea i'd bet 1994 because his voice was still kinda youthful sounding compared to now and you can hear a little bit of strain in it too because it was around that time where his voice started to change...

i'd say it was recorded at the same time he did aint that peculiar...i fuckin love that cover

spmusicplyr
10-03-2005, 03:34 AM
isnt it funny how you can tell what year the song was made just by the way dave sounds? you can just tell man..

i'd say pre 1977 his voice was more high pitched...totally evident in the demo...

then his voice was pretty much the same sound from vh1 to alae

you can tell anything from yflm era by the way it sounds and if he liberally uses that new octave he mentioned...

and then after '99 he re emerged and his voice was much deeper in my opinion...more manly...little rough on the edges probably from smoking ...i think the guy sounded great in stay while the night is youg...DD is a great album...better than dlr band..

and then recently in the boots you can hear that his old scream is really starting to re develop into what it was he must be working on his voice a lot more because compared to the '02 tour he's like a new man

now if he would only get his ass on a label, back into the studio and out on tour.....should we hold our breaths? or will he be the next morning drive man

fret_buzz_blues
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Hopefully he starts recording...

spmusicplyr
10-05-2005, 05:50 AM
yea

WARF
10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Moving to songs and albums, to be further discussed.

Loons The Great
10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
This song reminds me of why Diamond Dave is in charge of spiritual advice--zen, you know? Zen and the art of mojo maintenance. We train at the mojo dojo.

PHOENIX
10-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Its actually Jason Becker playing that. He said so in an old Guitar magazine interview i have.

ELVIS
10-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Hmmm...

Big Troubles
10-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Hmmm...

Uh oh. whatcha thinking 'bout? Dont think its Becker? IMO, I was always under the impression that Crosstown Traffic was something Vai would've wanted to play with Dave.

ELVIS
10-18-2005, 12:38 AM
It's not Vai for sure...

it's probably Jason...

I said "Hmmm..." because I needed to give it a listen again, as I had not heard it in quite some time...

Thankyaverymuch soldier, carry on...

;)

Big Troubles
10-18-2005, 08:39 AM
It's not Vai for sure...

it's probably Jason...

I said "Hmmm..." because I needed to give it a listen again, as I had not heard it in quite some time...

;)

no it doesn't sound like Vai, but I always pictured Vai playing it because of the similarities between the two. I like the song, but its on the back play list for sure, as it's recording is mono. Blah. I want Dave in stereo! :D Maybe this song could be a CVH tune on the next album. ;)

ELVIS
10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
That's not the worst idea i've heard around here...

PHOENIX
10-18-2005, 11:43 AM
It's not Vai for sure...

it's probably Jason...

;)

I always thought it was Vai. Untill i reread an old interview the other day. Jason was being interviewed about working on the ALAE album. He said in the studio that he had jammed to songs like Crosstown Traffic and other bluesy stuff he wasnt used too but that Dave put his own unique mark on them and was considering them for the album.. So i guess this recording got leaked out somehow.

ELVIS
10-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I've had it for years...

bigc
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
id be interested to see that interview:)