PDA

View Full Version : Korn attacks music industry

rustoffa
03-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Hmmm....didn't these block-rockin' yahoos make a tidy ransom off the evil empire?Do us all a favor and go quietly into that fucking silent night.:elvis:

From CNN:

Korn takes on the music business
New video challenges industry, radio
Thursday, March 25, 2004 Posted: 9:31 AM EST (1431 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Embattled shock jock Howard Stern has found a theme song: Korn's "Y'All Want a Single." The song, and especially its video, is an attack on radio conglomerates and the music industry, Korn lead singer Jonathan Davis says.

Clear Channel pulled Stern's morning radio show off its stations last month because of indecency concerns, and Stern has since positioned himself as the poster child for free speech. The Korn song has fallen so in line with Stern's political rants that a remixed version featuring Stern is available at the band's official Web site, http://www.korn.com.

The video to "Y'All Want a Single," which Stern hails as "the most inspirational, the most spectacular understanding of what's going on in this country right now," was shot at an out-of-business Los Angeles record store. In it, Korn, joined by fans, storms through the aisles smashing the display cases and CDs with crowbars.

While the store is being destroyed, statements taking the music industry to task cross the screen, including: "One corporation owns the 5 major video channels in the U.S."; "98% of the bands signed to a major don't make a profit"; "Two radio conglomerates control 42% of listeners"; "The music industry releases 100 songs per week."

"The stuff we said in the video (is the stuff) the music industry doesn't want kids to know about," Davis says. "Everyone is in bed with everyone in the industry. One corporation owns all the video channels, one corporation owns all the radio stations, and all the venues we play at are also the promoters. It's a whole monopoly. They basically deem what kids are going to hear."

Davis says getting the band's record label, Sony, to approve the video was an uphill battle, but Korn eventually won. "They let it go under artistic freedom," Davis says.

The video has been put into regular rotation on Fuse Network. In fact, Fuse president Marc Juris calls the video "the true rebellious spirit of rock 'n' roll as a vehicle for change."

'People are too uptight'
The FCC's crackdown on indecency hit the fast track following the Super Bowl halftime incident. Davis in part blames the FCC's actions on the religious right and the fact that it's an election year.

"People are too uptight," he says. "It's the God squad. They have a chance just to turn the knob off. If it's a radio station, if it's a CD, they don't have to listen to it. It's ridiculous."

Davis contends that restricted radio play and the music industry's big-business, hit-machine mentality is why record sales have been floundering.

"I think one of the reasons why the music business is failing is because there is nothing out there new that is exciting for kids to get into," he adds. "These corporations only put so many bands out, and they play those same 12 bands over and over again on the radio. It kills it."

Although Davis admits that music has never been more popular, thanks to the Internet, the business practices the band attacks in the video are stifling both artists and fans.

"[This video] is making a statement to stand up for every artist that's been screwed around," Davis says. "Ultimately, it's the fan getting screwed over [too] -- screwed out of a lot of new entertainment. There are those kids that have the energy to go out and look and find underground bands, but the average 14-year-old is fed what is cool by what the corporations are behind."

Korn, a hard-rock outfit founded in 1992, has reached multiplatinum sales but has never taken up a sociopolitical issue before.

"We've never been a political band," Davis says. "But if I can't say the [F-word] in the United Sates of America, I'm going to say something about it. If it gets to the point, period, where you can't cuss on TV, I'm moving to a different country."

WACF
03-26-2004, 04:41 PM
He makes some points though...

Roy Munson
03-26-2004, 11:20 PM
I like Korn a lot. One of the few nu-metal bands I like.

Lou
03-26-2004, 11:33 PM
You like Korn and Van Hagar...amazing.

Roy Munson
03-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Lou
You like Korn and Van Hagar...amazing.

LOL...you're pitiful. It's amazing how often a dumbfuck like you throws around the "sheep" word when, in fact, YOU ARE THE SHEEP. Keep on worshiping Roth and keep on dreaming of sucking his dick one day. I'm sure a SHEEP like you would baaaa jump at that chance.

I've always loved Roth and what he did for Van Halen, even moreso than Hagar, but I'm starting to realize that most of his fans are completely obssessive fuck-ups just like you who have no life and think about the Diamond One day-in and day-out.

What's really funny is how up in arms most of you are over this whole "reunion" deal. Seriously, I just sit back and laugh. You guys really need to step back from the flat screen, take a deep breath, and check out what else the world has to offer besides DLR and photos of his chest and groin area.

Come on, Lou! You can do it.

Lou
03-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Well clearly you don't read what I post. I condemned the "Diamond Dave" album repeatedly. I have repeatedly said I refuse to buy something just because it says DLR over and over. And guess what, I also refuse to participate in something just because the name "Van Halen" is on it.

No Roy, you're an EDDIE sheep, where it's all good no matter who's singing. No it's not all good. I have my convictions not because I'm following what everyone else on this board is saying or because other people have told me what to believe and I just do it...NO. I love classic Van Halen because of what I have heard and what I gather from the music. I have all the Van Hagar albums and I even downloaded the Cherone album on mp3 back in the day and listened to it literally 25 times to try and "get it" as Eddie said, so I've listened to just about every note Eddie Van Halen has put out under the band name "Van Halen."

And with MY OWN TWO EARS I have decided that there is no Van Halen without Roth. It's not Van Halen without Eddie but it's ALSO not Van Halen without Roth--you need both. From listening to all the "Van Halen" albums, I realized that Van HALEN incorporated a lot more than just Eddie's guitar playing, it incorporated humor, raunchiness, and grace. All of which sellout Van Hagar lacked.

What you think I'd post here to Internet strangers if I really didn't believe this? You think I'm saying these things because others have brainwashed me? Having never seen Eddie you think I wouldn't go to see Van Hagar because I'd be afraid of the "wrath" of posters here? No it's because I legitimately can't stand Van Hagar sellout faggot garbage like "Love Walks In" and "When It's Love."

This is what I believe and what I have come up with on my own, and this is a site where other people believe that way too. So please tell me how I'm a sheep when I have come up with these opinions on my own and decided to go to a website where other people also feel that way.

Roy Munson
03-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Fair enough. I guess I did lump you in with everyone else. You know, I'm not around as much as I used to be and it's hard to keep tabs on everything.

I am an Eddie "sheep"...I guess...as you say. You know that. EVeryone should know that. I'm a guitar player and Eddie's playing stands out so much to me that a lot of times I'm not concerned with the vocals. That said, I do appreciate what Roth and Sammy did for VH. Especially Roth. I agree with you that Roth is the voice of Van Halen. I actually was hoping for him to get back in the band. That's really what I would have wanted. But, now that he isn't it's not the end of the world to me. I'm still going to see Ed when the show comes around.

Huh, it wasn't actually your Van Hagar comment that got to me. It's the fact that you lumped it in with Korn as a put-down. Korn has been a very consistent band since their inception. They have their own sound and style. Also, they work hard to keep putting music out for their fans which is more than I can say for a lot of other bands that get so caught up in themselves that they don't even realize they are musicians anymore. Although I'm not a super fan I do like a good sum of their music.

Now Limp Bizkit...that's another story.

Lou
03-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Actually it wasn't that. I was in amazement that you could like both a band that put out "When It's Love" and a band that wouldn't dream of doing something like that.