PDA

View Full Version : Halloween (1978)

Dirty Duck
10-02-2005, 02:53 PM
With the month of October already at our doorsteps,we know that Halloween, is right around the corner. In 1978 John Carpenter leashed the little film onto the world,and it became one of the biggest horror movies of all times. This was the firdt movie I ever saw as a kid and I wanted to be a director ever since. I started this thread, and called it Halloween for two reasons. 1) For any huge fans like myself who would like to reflect on the film,ect. 2) For the holiday itself..Halloween. Respond with favorite scary movies that will always remind you of your childhood and the memories of when being a kid and Haloween being the cooliest thing in the whole world!

Dirty Duck
10-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Movies that always remind me of Halloween:

1)Halloween

2)Dark Night Of the Scarecrow

3)The Exorcist

4)The Amityville Horror (The house located in the next town over from me)

5)Night Of the Living Dead

6)Phantasm

Mr Badguy
10-02-2005, 03:56 PM
The first "Halloween" is a classic.

I remember I shit myself when I was younger.

I`ve seen it so many times that the impact has kind of worn off but I`ve sat with younger people who haven`t seen it and they still jump.

Also I get up to go to work at 4AM and if I`ve smoked too much hash the night before I always get that wierd noise in my head when Myers appears and disappears when I go out to get the car out of the garage.

A classic.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Also I get up to go to work at 4AM and if I`ve smoked too much hash the night before I always get that wierd noise in my head when Myers appears and disappears when I go out to get the car out of the garage.

Don't turn round...

:D

Mr Badguy
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Don't turn round...

Yeah, especially when you get in the car.

Mr Badguy
10-02-2005, 07:29 PM
"Halloween 3" was total shite.

What did it have to do with Michael Myers?

Nickdfresh
10-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Great film, I watch it every year at least once, but usually more.

The perfect balance of tension and violence, it's not some retarded splatter-fest. I'd say it's almost a HITCHCOCK level film.

And yes, a young and supple JAMIE LEE CURTIS!
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/compass/halloween/jamie_lee_curtis/halloween2.jpg
Ooof!

Rikk
10-02-2005, 07:36 PM
I also watch this classic at least once a year. It's awesome. I also love the first sequel. HALLOWEEN was my favorite film as a kid (besides JAWS).

http://www.halloweenmovies.com/filmarchive/h2plot1.jpg

Bob_R
10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Halloween the original is a classic. Scary ass movie.

Terry
10-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Halloween was brilliant, agreed. Really not very gory, either. Thinking about what Carpenter did with a limited budget, virtually no stars and some plain, good old fashioned imagination...

I dig Halloween 2 just as much as the first one, truth be told. Some tend to say that Halloween was the only film in the series worth a damn, but the second one was a worthy follow-up.

Halloween 3 I always treat as just part of a different series. Plus, you get to see Stacy Nelkin's boobs in it.

Dirty Duck
10-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I Loved Haloween III. It's one of my fav's. Yeah..it had nothing to do with Mike Myers but i thought the story was creepy as hell. Killing all the kids around the world on halloween? That's some scary shit!

ALMOSTsaved
10-03-2005, 07:26 PM
The original "Halloween" is an absolute classic! Unlike today's MTV inspired horror movies, "Halloween" relied on mood and imagery rather than gore and computer graphics.

It's been a tradition of mine to screen the movie every year on Halloween night. Hell I even own the soundtrack.

Fan-FUCKING-Tastic movie!

Rikk
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Halloween 3 I always treat as just part of a different series. Plus, you get to see Stacy Nelkin's boobs in it.

I really like HALLOWEEN III a lot. As a kid, I thought it was kind of silly...but fun. I watched it recently with a bunch of friends on Halloween, and we were all pretty impressed. Dan O'Herlihy plays a great villain, some of the scenes are truly shocking and the soundtrack is typical Carpenter brilliance.

The first three are still better than any of the other sequels, although HALLOWEEN IV is still pretty good. H20 is also okay.

Nickdfresh
10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
I actually liked H20 a lot moe than I thought I would. I usually hate the 18th sequel and never bother to see it. But in this case, they actually captured a little of the original's magic.

ALMOSTsaved
10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I've been catching the trailers for the remake of Carpenter's "The Fog" and I can only hope he'll NEVER EVER let anyone remake "Halloween." I'd be devastated if they turned it into some kind of MTV generated gore fest.

Terry
10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I was never that thrilled with the Fog. I like most of Carpenter's films, but the Fog wasn't one of them. Any movie with Adrienne Barbeau in it that doesn't feature her ample cleavage and/or bazoombies has a lot to answer for. Therefore, wasn't rolling my eyes when the remake was announced.

I dig Halloween 3, too. Gotta give Tommy Lee Wallace (and Carpenter/Hill, for that matter) credit for doing something new with the series. It was an interesting premise, and does have some unintentional moments of humor in it, as well as a killer soundtrack (bobebobebobebobe two more days till Halloween Halloween Halloween two more days till Halloween sil-VER Shamrock!).

H2O had a great first fifteen minutes, and the middle parts with Curtis in it were decent. Saw it in the theater, and remember everyone gasping at the beheading in the end.

4, 5 and 6 were totally ignored by H2O. Was hoping Resurrection would tie all the flicks (save 3) in together, but turned out to be a buncha bullshit with Busta Rhymes whooping Mikey's ass. Moustapha has run that series into the ground to the point where I understand there is a Halloween 9 in production, but I could really give a shit. H 1 and 2 are great, and 3 is fine in it's own right. Rest of the series kinda sucks balls.

Dirty Duck
10-04-2005, 09:31 AM
The orginal Halloween is without a doubt the best out there. Horror movies today absolutly suck. I've always been a fan of scary movies from the 70's..the atmosphere in horror films were so much better then today. Nothing is creepy. Their is no imagination..just how much blood we can show on the screen. John Carpenter is one of my favorite directors. My favorites by him are: The Fog, Escape From New York, Assault On Precinct 13, The Thing, They Live, Christine,Prince Of Darkness,and Ghosts Of Mars. I wish their would be a movie that would scare the shit out of me like back in the day. The last time a movie honestly scared me was The Blair Witch Project....THAT was a movie.