PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Big Surprise On Hendrix Woodstock Extended Edition Dvd!!!!

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 02:57 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
This is fucking unbelievable. I had NOT heard of this until I bought the DVD and found out for myself.

A fucking young college student who lived near the Woodstock Festival site, actually snuck into the backstage area with a primitive Black & White CV Reel video camera and a tripod along with 2 reels of videotape, and he videotaped Hendrix's ENTIRE FUCKING SET from the end of the stage opposite Hendrix!!!!

It is on Disc 2..part of a program called "A Second Look".

I am going to type the info from the DVD booklet here for all of you to read. I got the DVD yesterday, but due to family commitments I have only had the time to watch the first song with video tape (it is fucking cool as shit!).

In Addition to the 16mm color film photographed that morning, Albert Goodman, a 22-year-old drama student from Bard College, captured Hendrix's dramatic performance on videotape.

During that tumultuous summer, Goodman had lived as a member of an 18-person commune established on a farm near the festival grounds. Transportation problems kept him from the festival site until Sunday afternoon. On Monday morning, when it became clear that the music would continue, Goodman left his tent and snuck up onstage, shielded by a friend carrying a guitar. The young student secured AC power for his hulking Sony CV 1/2" video recorder and set up his tripod and camera just 15 feet across the stage from where Jimi Hendrix would perform.

Goodman was left alone once he had established his position onstage, seemingly viewed as just one more member of the sprawling film crew who had surrounded the stage throughout the event. Armed with just 2 previously recorded, open reel videotapes - the only 2 he could afford at that time, Goodman settled in behind percussionist Juma Sultan and prepared to document history.

Nearly every remaining Woodstock crew person, employee, and weary traveler surrounded Goodman as Hendrix strode onstage shortly after 9 AM on that Monday morning. Hendrix's performance was eagerly anticipated and the entire stage swelled with people eager to view their hero.

Remote video recording was still in it's infancy in August 1969. The primitive open reel CV format offered little more than 200 lines of picture resolution but the daylight elements generally worked to Goodman's favor. However, had Hendrix taken the stage at Midnight on Sunday evening as the festival promoters had originally envisaged, the video quality would have been markedly different if salvageable at all.

Technical limitations inherent in the CV video format caused occasional interruptions in the stable video signal.

The more pronounced glitches have been substituted by alternate color film angles (wherever possible) to cover these passages or any other interruption of the original performance. The combination of these two distinctly different elements provides a unique, alternate perspective to the exemplary color film coverage on DVD one.

Despite it's technical limitations, the video recording trumped the film crew by recording Jimi's superb original blues composition "Hear My Train A Comin'". The song came second in Hendrix's set, and the film crew took the opportunity to reload their cameras and reposition during that number. Apart from the 33-second excerpt filmed from the tower to Jimi's left, no other color footage of this riveting performance is known to exist. Even Goodman used the time at the beginning of this song to reposition his camera. If you look closely at the bottom of the picture frame during the short color extract, you can see him reassemblind his video camera and tripod. Fortunately he switched his camera back on shortly thereafter and captured the balance of the song.

*HR69 NOTE: CHECK THIS SHIT OUT!*

Goodman was hitchhiking in the days after the festival when a driver stopped to pick him up. The two spoke of the Woodstock Festival, and Goodman detailed his good fortune in having videotaped Hendrix's performance. The driver, struck by the coincidence, explained his friendship with people who were working at the house the guitarist had rented in the area. The driver invited Goodman to bring the video recording to Hendrix's house so the guitarist could view the performance.

An appointment was made, and Goodman later brought his machine to Hendrix's rented house. According to Goodman, Hendrix thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to screen his performance. When the viewing session concluded, Hendrix thanked Goodman, and the young videographer stored the tapes away for more than three decades before making them available for this expanded DVD Edition.

WOW!!!
:eek:

What a LUCKY motherfucker!!!

Not only did he get to videotape one of the single greatest performances in rock history, he got to meet him and show him the video after the fact!!!

Christamighty....fucking lucky dude!!!!

And WE are all the beneficiaries of his good fortune in that we get to see this shit too!!!

WOOHOO!!

If you are a Hendrix fan there is truly no excuse not to RUN to your nearest DVD store and buy it RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

:D

:cool:

OK...so due to the wonders of screen caps, I am going to show you some stuff.

Here is the view of the color excerpt of "Hear My Train A Comin'" and I have outlined the dude with the video camera in red on the near side of the stage:

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Ok, next is a shot of Jimi, just to give you an idea of the quality. Keep in mind that a still is going to be of inferior quailty to the video as the video is continuously in motion:

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Ok lastly here is something interesting...there was a guy bootlegiing the set on audio tape!

During the song "Hear My Train A Comin'", Goodman was panning the audience with his camera. He pans to the right, and catches a glimpse of a guy standing in the pit at the opposite end, directly in front of the stage and holding up a microphone attached to a shoulder carried bag, that obviously had a tape recorder in it!
:D

Mr Badguy
10-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Yes, I got it last week.

It is amazing although the "Gypsy, sun and rainbows" band will never sound great no matter how much they tinker wih it.

It`s still not the full set.

There were two songs performed with Larry Lee on lead vocals and lead guitar with Hendrix just playing rhythm.

Strange that both sets of cameras would totally miss those songs.

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Wow....I did not know that....

PHOENIX
10-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Its amazing how long it took for this footage to get out. Imagine all the other footage that is out there somewhere of bands like Zep and the Beatles that no one has ever seen.

Soul Reaper
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow, that sounds awesome....how much is the DVD?....can you get it in the UK?

Mr Badguy
10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Wow, that sounds awesome....how much is the DVD?....can you get it in the UK?

Yes, it`s in the music charts now.

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah it has amazing the video footage was completely unknown until this DVD came out...

I am still blown away....fucking awesome...

Soul Reaper
10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yes, it`s in the music charts now.

Thanks....I'll get it....

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Yeah it has amazing the video footage was completely unknown until this DVD came out...

Uh that first sentence should read: "Yeah it IS amazing...."

Fucking typos...
:rolleyes:

The Scatologist
10-03-2005, 02:57 PM
When do we get to see US Fest on DVD? :(

Terry
10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Us Festival is long overdue for DVD updating.

Shit, they could do a two-or-three disc set just from Heavy Metal Day alone. Full sets of everyone who played that day.

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 05:34 PM
No shit...

Nitro Express
10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Jimi's Woodstock performance isn't my favorite. His band got better as soon as he dumped the second guitarist and conga player. I still like Jimi the best when he was in The Jimi Hendrix Eperience. The guy would blow you away with his stage performance then. Like all bands, Jimi was the best early on in his fame.

Hardrock69
10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
I agree.

And so did Jimi.

I have a friend who has been Billy Cox's guitarist on and off for the past 15 years....next time I run into Billy I am going to ask him a few questions about this...

Hardrock69
10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Here is the REAL set list, including the two songs sung by Larry Lee:

1. Message to Love
2. Lover Man
3. Getting My Heart Back Together (aka Hear My Train a Comin')
4. Spanish Castle Magic
5. Red House
6. Mastermind (by Larry Lee)
7. Foxy Lady
8. Jam Back At The House (aka Beginning) (by Mitch M)
9. Izabella
10. Gypsy Woman (by Curtis Mayfield, sung by Larry)
11. Fire
12. Voodoo Child (SR)
(Voodoo Child Jam)
13. Star Spangled Banner
14. Purple Haze
15. Jam In A Minor
16. Instrumental Solo (aka Villanova Junction Blues)
17. Encore - Hey Joe

Dirty Duck
10-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I've got to pick that up! I have WOODSTOCK the double tape..for some reason never got the dvd ? ? Anyhow thatnks for the momentum to go get it!

Big Fat Sammy
10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info HR69...I must get this asap!

Hardrock69
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Even if you are not a Hendrix fan per se, it is something worthwhile to own if you are into the history of Rock Music at all.

I find it interesting as Jimi hendrix is solely responsible for 2 of the defining moments of the entire history of Rick Music.

One of them is the Woodstock performance, most specifically his rendition of The Star Spangled Banner.

The other is this:

Rikk
10-07-2005, 02:44 PM
It's an amazing DVD. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and it blew me away. From Douglas's original VHS release in 1994, I thought of WOODSTOCK as a relatively mediocre gig. But watching the restored and more-complete version on Disc 1 (and the great B&W stuff on Disc 2), I think it's a great gig...preferable to ISLE OF WIGHT. ISLE OF WIGHT is an amazing DVD and a great film...but the actual performance at WOODSTOCK is more interesting and preferable. There are bad moments, but there are great moments too.