PDA

View Full Version : Tigers fire Trammell

ALinChainz
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

October 3, 2005

DETROIT (AP) -- Alan Trammell is out and Jim Leyland might be in as manager of the Detroit Tigers.

Trammell was fired Monday after three seasons in which he failed to turn around a franchise without a winning record since 1993.

``You will not find a more dedicated, hardworking and respected individual that cares more about the Tigers and his coaching staff,'' Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. ``However, for the Tigers to reach the next level, I feel it is appropriate to make a change at this time.''

Leyland, a former Florida, Pittsburgh and Colorado manager, said the Tigers called him Monday morning to set up an interview with him on Monday evening.

``It's well known that I interviewed with Philadelphia last winter, and I'd like to manage again,'' the 60-year-old Leyland said last month.

Leyland helped the Marlins win the 1997 World Series -- with Dombrowski as general manager -- and was a two-time NL Manager of the Year while leading the Pirates. He was 72-90 with the Rockies in 1999, his last season as manager.

The Tigers went 71-91 this season and were 186-300 in three seasons under Trammell. The MVP of Detroit's 1984 World Series team had one year left on his contract.

Detroit lost an AL-record 119 games in his first season as manager, then improved to 72-90 last year, the biggest turnaround in the AL since Baltimore's 33-game improvement from 1988 to 1989.

With a lineup and bullpen that seemed upgraded, the Tigers thought they had a chance to have a winning season in 2005. The Tigers were 42-44 at the All-Star break and 61-62 in late August before losing 29 of their last 39 games.

The Tigers were set back by injuries this year, but Trammell refused to point to them as an excuse. Outfielder Magglio Ordonez missed about half of the season with a hernia, and closer Troy Percival appeared in just 26 games before an elbow injury ended his season in July. Both were hailed as prized free-agent signings before the season. Standout shortstop Carlos Guillen also struggled to stay healthy after having knee surgery last year.

``Really, I'm OK,'' the 47-year-old Trammell said last week. ``I'm a big boy. I've been through enough that I understand how things are.''

Things were much different when Trammell was a player and he helped the Tigers post 11 consecutive winning seasons from 1978-88.

As a 20-year standout in the field and at the plate, he led Detroit to a World Series championship in 1984 and the American League East title in 1987, when he narrowly was beaten out by Toronto's George Bell for AL MVP.

Trammell was a six-time All-Star, four-time Gold Glove and three-time Silver Slugger shortstop.

After he retired in 1996, he was a baseball operations assistant in Detroit for two seasons and was the Tigers' hitting coach in 1999. Then, he moved near his hometown and coached with the San Diego Padres for three seasons.

The Tigers knew Trammell was the popular choice to be their 35th manager on Oct. 9, 2002, and they insisted he was also the right choice. Trammell, Al Kaline and Ty Cobb are the only players to be with the team for at least 20 seasons.

``People don't come to your games to see your manager,'' Dombrowski said when Trammell was hired. ``I can understand why some people will feel that this was based on Alan's popularity here. But really, we could not afford to make this decision based on that, because we need to right this ship.''

AP Sports Writer Alan Robinson in Pittsburgh contributed to this report.

Matt White
10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I HOPE THEY LOSE FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS!!!

TRAM IS THE MAN

THAT TEAM QUIT ON HIM

BITEYOASS
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I HOPE THEY LOSE FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS!!!

TRAM IS THE MAN

THAT TEAM QUIT ON HIM

Got that right! Like Leyland is gonna be any better. Shit everything went downhill when they decided to build Comerica Park. Ilitcht is a total cunt and spends more time on the Red Wings than the tigers. ONE TEAM AT A TIME MUTHAFUCKA!!!

BITEYOASS
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
That and changing the logo didn't help either. Notice how they are still wearing the traditional White and black/Orange jerseys with the same Old English D. Fuck, that is the team's good luck charm, tradition period!

ALinChainz
10-03-2005, 07:05 PM
You have to like Leyland though.

No way the team quits on him.

He has the respect of being a proven winner.

I fell bad for Tram though, he bleeds the Tigers.

conmee
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah, but Tram was in over his head... and being a player's coach wasn't going to work on a team this young and bad. Besides, Tram could have used more time on the bench with some successful teams to see how things are done. Spending time with my beloved Padres wasn't sufficient. Tram made a good number of lineup and pitching decisions that were questionable the past three years... just ask Stoney and Wojo... lol

But the problem with the Tigers runs deeper than Tram. They really should have tried a cost effective way of redoing Tiger Stadium, and building on that tradition. I've been to a number of games at Comerica... and it just doesn't have any soul... more like the personality of one of those travelling carnivals that camp out in Walmart parking lots... just more of a sanitized feel... Granted, not every place can be Yankee stadium, Wrigley, etc.. .but Camden and Pac Bell were able to capture the old school baseball vibe while building state of the art parks... it can be done... and Comerica is a failure in that respect.

GO IRISH!!

Icon.

BITEYOASS
10-03-2005, 10:58 PM
I say get at least half of the players from Michigan Universities (the U of M and MSU players will push each other) and get the rest from Mexico and Japan. The Dominicans want too much money and are overrated.

POJO_Risin
10-03-2005, 11:12 PM
It's hard to say anything bad about Tram...it is to bad that it didn't work out, and I totally understand the harsh feelings about him getting uncerimonioulsy dumped...

however...

If Leyland can't make this team win...nobody can...

ALinChainz
10-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Source: Leyland Agrees to Manage Tigers

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH - Jim Leyland has agreed to manage the Detroit Tigers, a person close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The Tigers scheduled a "major" announcement for the late afternoon, but declined to say what it was about.

But the source, who spoke on condition on anonymity because the announcement had not been made, said Leyland had accepted the job, a day after Alan Trammell was fired.

Leyland won a World Series championship with the Florida Marlins in 1997. He has not managed since guiding Colorado in 1999. He was a two-time NL Manager of the Year with Pittsburgh.

Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski was the Marlins' GM when Leyland won the title. The Tigers called Leyland on Monday morning to set up an interview.

"The time away from the game has helped him a great deal," Dombrowski said Monday.

Dombrowski said Leyland is one of the best managers in baseball, adding that the 60-year-old manager is motivated to return to the dugout.

"He has the passion burning," Dombrowski said.

Trammell was fired after three seasons in which he failed to turn around a franchise without a winning record since 1993. The Tigers were expected to be close to .500, if not better, but fell short with a collapse toward the end of the season and finished 71-91.

"Looking back, it is fair to say that we hit a wall," Trammell said last week.

The Tigers were 186-300 in three seasons under Trammell, MVP of the 1984 World Series after helping Detroit win it. He had one year left on his contract.

Detroit lost an AL-record 119 games in Trammell's first season as manager, then improved to 72-90 last year, the biggest turnaround in the AL since Baltimore's 33-game improvement from 1988 to 1989.

With a lineup and bullpen that seemed upgraded, the Tigers thought they had a chance for a winning season. The Tigers were 42-44 at the All-Star break and 61-62 in late August before losing 29 of their last 39 games.

"All the sudden, during the last six weeks, we didn't win many ballgames," Dombrowski said.

Though Detroit's clubhouse lacked harmony, Dombrowski said that wouldn't be a big problem for Leyland if he hired him.

"We won a world championship with some high-maintenance ballplayers and he handled Barry Bonds (in Pittsburgh)," Dombrowski said.

Tigers pitcher Mike Maroth was very familiar with Leyland's accomplishments.

"I know he won a championship with Florida and had a lot of good years in Pittsburgh," Maroth said this week. "Jim Leyland has a lot of experience and that's something he has over Tram because this was his first managerial job."

POJO_Risin
10-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow...so this was in the works...

I do feel bad for Trammell...

but there has to be a bunch of fans in Detroit that are excited...

watch...some big free agent will sign with them because of Leyland...