PDA

View Full Version : Damn Good. (Skyscraper)

Dirty Duck
10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Great song. Never really mentioned. Wonder if this MIGHT be an ode to his X band members? Views,ect?

DavidLeeNatra
10-04-2005, 07:01 PM
great song...

"Hey, take a look at this picture,
Can you beliee that was you?
And who's that standin' there in the corner?
Not me!!!
Ahh, the crazy things we used to do
Sure, we was acting like a couple of kids
Good to remember
You know that it is
I still feel it
Like the sun on my skin
Maybe that's better

Cause these are good times
Damn good tiemes
Talkin' about good times
Damn good times"

these lines are telling it all...maybe it was dave's call to give peace to the past...

Big Troubles
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I always figured he was talking about an ex-girlfriend, but yeah I can see the reference. Dave play guitar for that song?

anyone know WHO taught Dave how to play? Or was that covered in Crazy from the...? Just occurred to me that Ed could have taught Dave how to play.

neato.

Dirty Duck
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
No no..I'm almost positive it's Steve Vai's guitar...let me check..................................Yeah...the liner notes say It's steve. What great playing.

DavidLeeNatra
10-06-2005, 10:09 AM
it's vai...and he recorded the solo backwards, that's why the tone sounds so strange. the notes fade in and the picking comes at the end...

they did a lot of new things on this record, like vai doing a double handed solo on the heart-formed guitar with two necks...

Diamondjimi
10-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Vai claims to have written the acoustic melodies when he was 16 , but never got around to using it. Roth says the lyrics were inspired by bumping into an old friend at a hotdog stand in So. Cal. Says they talked about old times and how their lives turned out .

Dirty Duck
10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the cool info DISMONDJIMI!!!

bru87tr
10-29-2005, 04:00 PM
ya , why isnt this on the greatest collection ? why would dave leave that song out ?

Dirty Duck
11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
As much as I love Dave...that greatest hits package could have been put together a little better then it did. Damn good should have definately been on it......hell...i would've called the album "Damn good"

Seshmeister
11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
it's vai...and he recorded the solo backwards, that's why the tone sounds so strange. the notes fade in and the picking comes at the end...

True.

Roth didn't and couldn't, have played the guitar on this, it's too technical.

I think it sums up a lot of what was wrong with Skyscraper.

It's a nice song but maybe a bit too long and overproduced.

The solo was done as you say by Vai writing down the music to his solo and then reversing it and recording it backwards so that the 'attack' of each note was at the end.

That's very clever Stevie but it sounds like shit.

Cheers!

:gulp:

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh, It's not that bad...:)

Dirty Duck
11-02-2005, 08:46 AM
That guitar is beautiful on that song.....

Seshmeister
11-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Oh, It's not that bad...:)

Over the years I've liked that solo less and less.

The rest of the guitar in the song is cool.