PDA

View Full Version : Macha and A's can't reach a deal...part ways

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:13 AM
No longer with A's, Macha draws interest from Pirates, Marlins
Oct. 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

Ken Macha will walk away from the Oakland Athletics after seven years with fresh memories of another winning season, despite a young and injury-depleted lineup.

He hopes potential employers appreciate that.

Macha was out of a job as A's manager Wednesday after failing to reach an agreement on a new contract, which he called one of several "massive disappointments" in his tenure.

"Who knows how the rest of baseball views you?" Macha said hours after general manager Billy Beane announced there would be no further negotiations to keep the third-year skipper.

"I can go home and sleep and know that we used tremendous character to get through this season," Macha said.

Macha led the A's to the AL West title in his first year as manager in 2003, the club's fourth straight playoff berth. But Oakland failed to reach the postseason the past two years despite a 91-win season in 2004 and 88 victories this year.

"We offered a three-year deal with a club option and they countered with a three-year deal without a club option," Beane said on a conference call. "I don't think we were ever going to be able to bridge the gap. It was a significant gap."

The option would have allowed the A's to decide whether to keep Macha after three seasons.

"There are no hard feelings whatsoever," Beane said. "This is part of the business."

Macha had said he hoped to return to the A's, but declined to discuss specifics of the team's offer, saying money matters are strictly personal. His agent, Alan Nero, told the Associated Press he received an offer from Beane on Monday, then offered two different counter proposals, the second of which brought the sides much closer.

"We were significantly apart," Nero said in a telephone interview. "Then I made a proposal and we were very close. Billy declined to make another proposal because he felt Kenny wouldn't be happy."

Nero called it a "sad day" for Macha, the fans and the players. "It was an amicable separation and it's time for everybody to move on."

Nero said he spoke Wednesday to Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield about the managerial vacancy in Pittsburgh, where Macha lives. The Florida Marlins are also interested in the 55-year-old, Nero said.

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:14 AM
No longer with A's, Macha draws interest from Pirates, Marlins

Macha hopes teams will take into account how the A's performed with such a young roster. Four rookies played huge roles.

"Hopefully something will work out," Macha said. "You have experiences, and that was a growing experience."

The A's seemed out of it in May when they had two eight-game losing streaks and finished the month with a 7-20 record. Oakland rebounded with another strong second half, overcoming injuries to key players, including shortstop Bobby Crosby and No. 2 starter Rich Harden.

Macha's departure didn't catch players by surprise. Center fielder Mark Kotsay hopes Macha gets a chance with another club.

"I know contract offers were exchanged, and they probably couldn't foresee themselves coming to terms," Kotsay said in a phone interview. "I think he definitely had a respect for the players and allowed us to handle ourselves as professionals. He was just a good guy."

Macha was 275-211 in three seasons with the A's. He came to Oakland in 1999 following four seasons as a manager in Boston's farm system. He was promoted from bench coach when Art Howe left for the New York Mets following the 2002 season.

Beane said the sides had exchanged proposals this past weekend because both parties wanted to come to a resolution quickly, leaving Macha time to explore other openings.

"This whole issue didn't sneak up on us," Beane said. "It's disappointing we couldn't come to a conclusion that was satisfactory."

Beane said he would work to form a list of candidates to replace Macha, and didn't say whether members of the existing A's coaching staff would be considered.

On Monday, the A's announced hitting coach Dave Hudgens' contract would not be renewed.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Might be an interesting choice for the Pirates...

ALinChainz
10-15-2005, 01:08 AM
A's come to terms with Macha to be manager after all

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer

October 14, 2005

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Ken Macha has a new job: His old one.

Out last week as Oakland's manager, he called GM Billy Beane one last time to say thanks, and wound up with a three-year deal Friday.

``I think both of us felt this would be best for himself, best for myself and best for the club,'' Macha said. ``I think Billy has a lot of trust in what I do on the field, and I have a lot of trust in what he does off the field.''

Macha and Beane didn't talk after the A's announced negotiations had broken down Oct. 5. Macha admits now that the two sides probably should have waited a week after an emotional season to begin the discussions.

``It all started with that call,'' Beane said. ``I think it took a lot for him to pick up that phone. It was probably not an easy call for him to make.''

Right fielder Nick Swisher sounded happy having his old manager back.

``Macha's a great manager and he knows the game. I'm excited for next season to get started,'' Swisher said during a telephone interview from his home in West Virginia. ``Billy knows what he's doing. Just like everyone else in this organization, he's always going to push us in the right direction.''

Macha interviewed for the opening in Pittsburgh that ultimately went to Jim Tracy and had plans to talk with Tampa Bay.

The A's already had interviewed bullpen coach Bob Geren and third-base coach Ron Washington. Beane had also set up meetings next week with Rangers pitching coach Orel Hershiser, Colorado bench coach Jamie Quirk and former Philadelphia and San Diego manager Larry Bowa.

Macha led the A's to the AL West title in his first year as manager in 2003, the club's fourth straight playoff berth. But Oakland failed to reach the postseason the past two years despite a 91-win season in 2004 and 88 victories this year.

``Ken did a great job for us. We've always said that,'' Beane said. ``He was a good enough manager for us to want him back before, and he's still a good enough manager to come back.''

Beane said last week the A's had offered a three-year deal with a club option, while Macha had countered with a three-year deal without a club option. Beane would not release terms of the new deal but said the option had been taken out. Macha earned around $630,000 this season.

Macha's agent, Alan Nero, declined to provide terms of the deal.

``Everything's wonderful in Oakland,'' Nero said. ``I'm very happy for Ken. He's very attached to his players and felt very badly he wasn't going to be with them. The bottom line is this really wasn't about money. It was more about both parties being comfortable on going forward. In the end, it was easy to get resolved.''

Beane admitted it was a ``unique situation'' for a manager to be cut loose and brought back so soon. One of the only other times that happened came in 1978 when Billy Martin resigned as skipper of the New York Yankees on July 24, only to be rehired by George Steinbrenner five days later to take over from Bob Lemon in 1980. Martin ended up taking the job the following June and was fired following the 1979 season.

A's second baseman Mark Ellis admitted the whole situation was ``very strange.''

``I was totally caught off guard. I was very surprised,'' Ellis said from Arizona. ``It's good. He knows everybody on team and everybody is comfortable with him. It's weird how it turned out, but I think everybody's happy. It's good to have Mach.''

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley contributed to this report.