PDA

View Full Version : Girardi leaving the Yankee fold? Are the Yankees making a mistake?

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Yankees' Girardi gets the OK for Marlins interview
Oct. 6, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Yankees gave the Florida Marlins permission to speak with New York bench coach Joe Girardi for their manager opening.

Girardi will try to interview with Florida general manager Larry Beinfest during an off day as the AL Division Series shifts to New York for Game 3 on Friday night.

Jack McKeon, who led the Marlins over the Yankees in the 2003 World Series, said Sunday he won't return following a disappointing season in which Florida went 83-79.

Girardi, who turns 41 on Oct. 14, was a member of three World Series championship teams with the Yankees before ending his 15-year playing career in 2003. He caught two no-hitters with the Yankees, one of four big-league teams he played for along with the Cubs, Rockies and Cardinals.

The New York Times first reported on its website that Girardi was given permission, and the decision was confirmed Wednesday by Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:20 AM
This guy is going to be a good manager in this league...

I think the Yankees are making a mistake...

Bob_R
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
This guy is going to be a good manager in this league...

I think the Yankees are making a mistake...

An organization should never deny a coach a chance to become a manager. It happens all the time in football and hockey. I think of it as an unwritten rule.

I wish him the best.

POJO_Risin
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM
I agree 100%...but Torre can't manage forever...

and Girardi seems to be a Steiny guy...and has always been a manager on the field...

there's nothing wrong with having a closed door and saying...you...Joe...when Torre is gone...you be the guy...

twonabomber
10-07-2005, 04:50 AM
i saw something speculating that Torre may get the boot, and Pinella may take over.

POJO_Risin
10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I've seen a lot of that...but hiring Pinella...IMO...would be a mistake...

POJO_Risin
10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I've seen a lot of that...but hiring Pinella...IMO...would be a mistake...

BITEYOASS
10-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Hell, I'm sick and tired of both the Yankees and Red Sox, I JUST WANNA SEE A WORLD SERIES PARADE IN CHICAGO FOR ONCE!!!! GO WHITE SOX!!!!