PDA

View Full Version : Testeverde set to start for the Jets

POJO_Risin
10-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Talk about a guy with nine lives...

Jets turn to veteran Testaverde this weekend vs. Bucs
Oct. 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Vinny Testaverde is nearly 42 years old. He has not thrown a pass in a regular-season game since January. On top of all that, he has had about a week to learn the Jets offense.

This is the player coach Herman Edwards has entrusted to help save the season.

Edwards named Testaverde his starting quarterback Wednesday, a move the desperate Jets hope can spark their floundering offense. Though Testaverde was on the verge of retirement just a few weeks ago, he is now put in the tough spot of trying to do whatever he can to get the Jets some victories.

His first start comes Sunday against Tampa Bay, the team that drafted him No. 1 overall in 1987. When he takes the field, he will be the fourth-oldest quarterback to start a game in the Super Bowl era, behind Steve DeBerg, Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.

"There's certain things that can happen, hopefully will happen, with getting the ball down the field, getting the ball out quick, trying not to take sacks, hoping everybody gets their confidence up," Testaverde said. "Our lack of success has hurt our confidence a little bit offensively. We just have to get it up a little bit."

Testaverde, signed a week ago when Chad Pennington went out for the season with another torn rotator cuff, watched from the sideline as third-stringer Brooks Bollinger started in a 13-3 loss to Baltimore on Sunday.

The Jets did little to help the unproven youngster, failing to protect him or open up holes for Curtis Martin. But Edwards pointed to one statistic that helped him make his decision: Bollinger was 4-of-16 trying to get the ball to the receivers.

"At this point, I feel that Vinny's a veteran guy, we need a change a little bit as far as making some plays in the passing game. I think he can provide that," Edwards said. "Brooks did a good job for us, but at the end of the day when you can't make plays passing the ball it's tough."

With Pennington sidelined and backup Jay Fiedler out indefinitely with a shoulder injury, the Jets (1-3) had few options, so they signed Testaverde last week for his second stint with the team.

Testaverde had been out of football since finishing last season with Dallas. Though he was not in a training camp, none of his teammates believe being away from the game poses too much of a problem, though Testaverde admitted that is the biggest obstacle he has to overcome.

"Vinny is probably better than half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL right now," center Kevin Mawae said. "A lot of people want to look at his age and the fact that he hasn't been doing anything. But if you know Vinny, he hasn't been sitting on his La-Z-Boy this whole nine months. He's been working out, getting himself ready for a situation like this."

Bollinger was disappointed with the decision, since he got one chance to prove he can handle the load.

"I don't think it matters if it's fair or not," Bollinger said. "They do upstairs what's best for this football team and what they feel the team needs to win a game. It doesn't mean I have to like it or want it to stay that way."

It is obvious Testaverde has a difficult task. The Jets rank 28th in total offense, and are going against the No. 1 defense in the league this week.

Testaverde lacks mobility, which also is a problem considering the offensive line has played so poorly. The Jets might use the shotgun even more to help protect him, and Testaverde has no problem with that. The running game has struggled, but Testaverde is hoping to be able to use his strong arm to complete passes to open things up on the ground.

But the facts remain: Testaverde is 8-18 as a starter since the 2002 season. He got pulled as a starter with New York in 2002, then led the Jets to an 0-4 start in 2003 when Pennington got hurt in the preseason.

Last year in Dallas, Testaverde went 5-11 as a starter. In his last four games, he threw three touchdown passes and had four interceptions. But his teammates seem to believe in him regardless of his recent performance.

"Vinny's been a quarterback for how many years?" Martin said. "He's kept himself in good shape. He looks just like he did when he left; he came in with a six-pack and everything. The guy's in shape and he's throwing the ball well, his arm looks strong, so we just have to see how it turns out."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

WARF
10-06-2005, 08:54 AM
That's what Herm Edwards gets for bringin' Pennington back into the game in week 3.... when he was obviously in pain!

Va Beach VH Fan
10-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Ya know there's actually a rumor from NY Sports radio that they're talking about a Tommy Maddox for Chrebet/2nd rounder deal....

Don't shoot....

WARF
10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Great... we'll get another washed up Steeler QB!

POJO_Risin
10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah WARF...but at least you won't be paying this one 50 million...lmfao...

how is Neil doing anyways...;)

conmee
10-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I can't believe Testicleverde (Green Balls in Espanol) is still able to suit up.... fuck... I hate the Jets.... and old people (cuz I am one, like Pojo and VA).... lmao

GO IRISH!!!
GO PADRES!!!
GO UNLV!!!

Icon.

POJO_Risin
10-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Well fuck...at least I'm the youngest of the old fucks...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
10-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Does anyone have more fucking nicknames than Testesuckie?

Brett
10-08-2005, 01:44 AM
I thought he was 67, are you sure he's only 57 Poj?

conmee
10-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Yeah, VA BEach is 67, I'm 36, and Pojo is 34, and Brown is 34 or 35... so VA beach is by far the oldest... hell, he even flaunts it with his "retired" title under his avatar... lmao.... oh wait, I just checked... he's now going by the euphemism "Old School".... might as well be "Old Folks Home".... lmao ;)

GO TESTICLEVERDE!!!!

Icon.

Jack68
10-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Im sorry i never thought CHAD was the next Joe Montana anyways.Maybe his cousin or something.The JEST fans i work with have to burn the CHAD bedsheets and pajamies now.They already wrote Pennington off and want to lose all the games to get the guy from usc.Fuckin pathetic...No offense to the gangrene fans here who are intelligent.Iam not a Herm guy anyways,great motivator and i would want him on my staff but his clock management and his desire to play not to lose is embarrissing.Im a Giants fan so take your shots.Eli is progressing nicely as is Plaxico.I didnt want Eli and ill gladly eat shit on that one.As far as Vincenso starting tommorow hell put up some numbers because they will have a qb who can throw the ball15 yards or more down field which in turn opens up the running game.Show some balls playaction pass over the middle to Lavernious for christs sakes.

WARF
10-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Yeah WARF...but at least you won't be paying this one 50 million...lmfao...

how is Neil doing anyways...;)

Isn't he the 3rd stringer in Tennesee... or did he retire?

WARF
10-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Does anyone have more fucking nicknames than Testesuckie?

Vinny Testicleverde

Jack68
10-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Neil is retired i believe.