PDA

View Full Version : Captain Beefheart

Soul Reaper
10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
opinions please....I heard that he's a love it or hate it sort of thing...so I want to know what you think before I listen...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
opinions please....I heard that he's a love it or hate it sort of thing...so I want to know what you think before I listen...

I dig his music a lot. I got into it thanks to an uncle of mine who was a real fan...
I've got a compilation of his 65-68 stuff ("Electricity", Camden records, great!), "Trout Mask Replica", "Safe as Milk", "Lick my decals off baby", "Safe as milk", "Spotlight kid", and a couple more I don't remember now.
Captain Beefheart's music was very crafty, but it also seemed very messy. Dissonances, convolutions (I can't help bursting out laughing at times, especially on "Trout Mask Replica"), amazing guitar parts and original composition skills, plus the Captain playing the harmonica like a god, and sax, and his huge voice, man: 4 and a half octaves!
I don't listen to the records I have very often, but each time I do it's because I need something STRONG.:cool:

Soul Reaper
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice description...I like the sound of this guy....

Soul Reaper
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
hey Shaun, do you listen to him?