PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Priest Era?

MK5150
10-10-2005, 02:52 PM
What's your favourite Priest era? Mine are The Hell Bent For Leather era 1978 and DOTF era 1984.

Soul Reaper
10-10-2005, 02:53 PM
SFV era for me.....

saint
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
79 - 84

Began listening 84, when I bought Screaming For Vengeance. Then I got british Steel and then Hell Bent For Leather. That was a couple of months before they released Turbo Lover and from that point on I lost interest

Terry
10-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I'd say from British Steel to Screaming For Vengeance.

Listened to Defenders of the Faith. Am in there with Saint...heard Turbo and pretty much stopped listening, although Painkiller was a good track.

The Scatologist
10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Sad Wings of Destiny

Matt White
10-11-2005, 01:24 AM
SFV

Mr Badguy
10-11-2005, 03:23 AM
1975-1980.

The stuff they did in that time was really groundbreaking for Metal.

Twin guitars, double bass drums, Halford`s unmistakable vocal style, every new album had something that hadn`t been heard before: "Sad wings of destiny", "Sin after sin", "Stained class", "Killing machine" (it`s UK title) and "Unleashed in the east".

It`s all good, but that`s my favourite era.

bueno bob
10-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
1975-1980.

Twin guitars, double bass drums, Halford`s unmistakable vocal style, every new album had something that hadn`t been heard before: "Sad wings of destiny", "Sin after sin", "Stained class", "Killing machine" (it`s UK title) and "Unleashed in the east".

Ditto.

lesfunk
10-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Stained Class, Les Binks era..

Vinnie Velvet
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
1997-2001, Ripper era.

hahaha. Just kidding.

For me, I'd say 1979-1984.

My fave Priest albums are all there -- British Steel, Point of Entry, Screaming and Defenders.

DABSR
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
80' - 84' for me

"British Steel" grabbed my interest and I feel they began getting weaker after "Defenders of the Faith". But they've returned with "Angel of Retribution" which rocks !!! In my opinion.

Vinnie Velvet
10-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by DABSR
80' - 84' for me

"British Steel" grabbed my interest and I feel they began getting weaker after "Defenders of the Faith". But they've returned with "Angel of Retribution" which rocks !!! In my opinion.

Agreed.

While Angel of Retribution is no Defenders or Screaming, its a good album and a great comeback for Priest.

Soul Reaper
10-12-2005, 02:14 PM
what do you guys think of the Turbo era?

rustoffa
10-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm partial to the older stuff, but it's all good up to the grindcore experiment. I think I mentioned that "Hero Hero" compilation being a good sampler of the older stuff. "Point Of Entry" might be underrated....'Desert Plains' fucking owns on a good stereo.

Vinnie Velvet
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I'm partial to the older stuff, but it's all good up to the grindcore experiment. I think I mentioned that "Hero Hero" compilation being a good sampler of the older stuff. "Point Of Entry" might be underrated....'Desert Plains' fucking owns on a good stereo.

Oh yeah!

Desert Plains is one of my favorite Priest songs.

The live version on the remastered CD of Point of Entry ROCKS!

BRANDON
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
saw them in montreal last night.what a show.true metal gods.

rucalobe
10-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Their latest CD (just released this year) is EXCELLENT ;-D

canadiandlrgirl
10-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by MK5150
What's your favourite Priest era? Mine are The Hell Bent For Leather era 1978 and DOTF era 1984.
all of 'em!

Mr Badguy
10-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
what do you guys think of the Turbo era?

There are some good songs on there that never get mentioned.

"Turbo lover" smokes.

"Locked in" and "Out in the cold" are really great.

"Reckless" has to be the most underrated Priest song ever.

I would rather listen to "Turbo" than "Ram it down".

"Ram it down" has some of the cheesiest song titles ever: "Heavy metal", "Come and get it", "I`m a rocker", "Monster of rock".

It appears to be a stepping stone between the leftover heavy tracks from the "Turbo" sessions and the out-and-out Heavy Metal of "Painkiller".

What I don`t get is why they left so many good songs off of "Ram it down", the ones that emerged on the remasters from that era are better in many cases, "Thunder road" and "All fired up" in particular.

Soul Reaper
10-22-2005, 07:51 AM
what about that "Parental Guidance" song?

Mr Badguy
10-22-2005, 11:56 AM
what about that "Parental Guidance" song?

It ain`t my favourite although it doesn`t bother me the same way it bothers other Priest fans.

I don`t see it as a major departure as Priest always had singalong tunes: "Take on the world", "United", "Heavy duty" etc.

Maybe the production softened it up too much.

bueno bob
10-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I love it, actually...it was my rebellion theme in 7th grade :)

Rust is spot on with the Desert Plains bit...actually, ALL of POE kicks ass, fucking GRATE record...don't know why it isn't viewed any higher than what it is when looking at the catalog as a cohesive...shit, I think POE is better than the new one, on a personal level...

Mr Badguy
10-23-2005, 01:28 PM
They say "Worth fighting for" is a throwback to POE.

I don`t know why, it sucks.

It sounds like AC/DC at the start and goes on for far too long without going anywhere.

You`re right, Bob.

POE does get an unjustified amount of bad press.

It`s probably their best sounding album and you can`t go wrong with "Hot rockin`", "Desert plains" or "On the run".

Mezro
10-23-2005, 02:30 PM

"Turbo lover" smokes.

"Locked in" and "Out in the cold" are really great.

"Reckless" has to be the most underrated Priest song ever.

I would rather listen to "Turbo" than "Ram it down".

Turbo Lover does smoke, so does Locked in. Out in the Cold is fucking great too.

Sure, Turbo has a little cheese around the edges but it is pretty solid overall.

Now Ram It Down is a different story. RID is SHIT. Should have named it Spent Loads.

Mezro...I love Priest...such a great band with so few shitty CDs...

Soul Reaper
10-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I've heard that 'Painkiller' song.....a mental vocal and guitar performance.....great stuff....what do you think of it?

Mr Badguy
10-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I've heard that 'Painkiller' song.....a mental vocal and guitar performance.....great stuff....what do you think of it?

I love the whole "Painkiller" album.

No doubt at the time it was the heaviest Priest had ever been but today after Fight, Halford and the Ripper era, it sounds natural for Priest.

A few classics, "Night crawler", "Metal meltdown".

I could live without "A touch of evil", although Priest semm to be crazy about it.

As usual some of the best songs are the ones that never get mentioned: "Hell patrol", "All guns blazing" and especially "One shot at glory", the lyrics of which seemed to take on a different meaning when Halford left.

But yeah, the song "Painkiller" sounds as amazing and fresh as it did fifteen years ago.

Fifteen years ago?

Jeez, I am getting old.

HELLVIS
10-23-2005, 07:24 PM
1975-1980.

I'm with you. BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH, DREAMER DECEIVER, and of course, VICTIM OF CHANGES still blow me away today!

PHOENIX
10-23-2005, 07:52 PM
I liked the era before i found out he was gay.

Vinnie Velvet
10-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I love it, actually...it was my rebellion theme in 7th grade :)

Rust is spot on with the Desert Plains bit...actually, ALL of POE kicks ass, fucking GRATE record...don't know why it isn't viewed any higher than what it is when looking at the catalog as a cohesive...shit, I think POE is better than the new one, on a personal level...

HOT ROCKIN'!!!!

I Wanna Go, I Wanna Go.....HOT ROCKIN!!!

Vinnie Velvet
10-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
I liked the era before i found out he was gay.

Too bad for you then.

Soul Reaper
10-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by HELLVIS
I'm with you. BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH, DREAMER DECEIVER, and of course, VICTIM OF CHANGES still blow me away today!

Hell yes.....those songs kick ass....