PDA

View Full Version : NY Subway Threat a Hoax

LoungeMachine
10-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Jamie Wilson in Washington
Wednesday October 12, 2005
The Guardian

The alleged terror threat that sparked a big security alert on New York's trains and subway last week turned out to be a hoax concocted by an unreliable US informant in Iraq, it emerged yesterday.
Uniformed and undercover police descended on the city's subway system on Friday after what was described as a "specific threat" that a terror cell was planning to explode bombs concealed in pushchairs, suitcases and rucksacks. At one point a section of Penn Station was sealed off as security staff wearing chemical hazard suits investigated a "soupy green substance" found in a Pepsi bottle. It turned out be a cleaning substance.

But security sources yesterday told CNN that an informant in Iraq had admitted giving false information. Law enforcement officials said last week that the person who passed along the New York tip also gave information which led to the arrests of three al-Qaida suspects in Musayyib, south of Baghdad, said to have links to the alleged plot.
But yesterday government sources said the three men had been interviewed and two underwent lie detector tests showing they knew nothing about such a plan.

From the beginning some federal officials questioned the credibility of the plot, describing it as "specific yet non-credible". Some officials privately criticised the mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, for overreacting to the alert, which came the day after George Bush claimed 10 big al-Qaida attacks had been thwarted since September 11 2001.

Law enforcement officials also told the New York Times yesterday that the investigation in Iraq had found no evidence that a plot was in motion or being actively contemplated. The officials said after taking the three men into custody last week they found no fake passports, no travel documents, no viable travel route to New York, and no apparent contact with people in New York. They said the informant had been right eight of the 15 times he gave information to his Defence Intelligence Agency handlers. He was right about information in Iraq and wrong mostly about actions elsewhere. "The process is not a clean one here. Ever," one official told the newspaper.

Mr Bloomberg said the extraordinary measures put in place last week, including police on every train, would be relaxed, but that the city would continue many of the safeguards it has taken to protect since the London bombings in July.

FORD
10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Geezus.... I'm so shocked I don't know where to begin :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
10-11-2005, 10:13 PM
LMMFAO

Imagine our surprise.....

One thing is for sure, 4 years after 9/11 and NYC is in NO WAY prepared for another attack.

DrMaddVibe
10-11-2005, 10:27 PM
When millionaires ride subways...you know there's some funny shit goin' on.

Nickdfresh
10-12-2005, 08:36 AM
What's the terra' alert level at? Is it up to "bullshit" from "questionable?"

BigBadBrian
10-12-2005, 08:51 AM
You libs crack me up.

You really fucking do.

You whine and piss and moan (Which is what liberals are good at, after all :) ) about how the US isn't prepared for this and isn't prepared for that and when they something MIGHT be serious and then turns out not to be.....you fucking mock it.

IF there had been a bombing in the NYC subways, and nobody did nothing about it, you guys would be whining like a bunch of little girls, just like you were after Katrina.

Millermoos
10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
One is never too prepared for terrorism.
I take the undeground in London everyday.
I took it right after the bombings and I was lucky I did not take the piccadilly line the day and teh time of the bombings I was feeling sick so I decided not to go to work and that's why I am here now writing to you.
Millermoos

BigBadBrian
10-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Millermoos
One is never too prepared for terrorism.
I take the undeground in London everyday.
I took it right after the bombings and I was lucky I did not take the piccadilly line the day and teh time of the bombings I was feeling sick so I decided not to go to work and that's why I am here now writing to you.
Millermoos

Glad to know you're safe. :)

Nickdfresh
10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
IF there had been a bombing in the NYC subways, and nobody did nothing about it, you guys would be whining like a bunch of little girls, just like you were after Katrina.

If "nobody did nothing about it," somebody would have done something.:)

Yeah, it was just a coincidence that Dubya's lame-ass terra'-speech was on the same day.:rolleyes:

Don't you have to complain and 'whine' about Clinton now BushEEP?

Millermoos
10-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks BigBadBrian.
to tell you honestly I am fed up with politicians in general.They don't care if you or me die as long it's not them I mean they don't have to take the underground like me or like loads of other Londeners every day to go to work, they are protected by bodyguards ect they go in there own bullet proof cars furthermore the politicians over here are paid much more that they used to be paid and more money brings corruption, lies and what do we get after all the taxes we pay?. Long gone are the time when Chrurchill was around.
Millermoos