PDA

View Full Version : Queen + Paul Rodgers - "Return of the Champions" live CD

Vinnie Velvet
10-13-2005, 09:19 AM
I just picked up the double live CD of Queen and Paul Rodgers - "Return of the Champions"--and as a Queen fan, I was quite impressed with the show and think its great!

I heard some boots before this release with Bad Company's Paul Rodgers singing Queen songs and thought he did very well. This live CD just proves that even more.

For those of us in North America who haven't seen the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour yet (a North American tour is in the works for '06), this live CD is a treat -- as will the DVD which comes out sometime later.

The CD has a good collection of the Queen live staples and some Free and Bad Company songs which make it a cool and interesting live set.

When they kick into "Tie Your Mother Down", it felt like Wembley '86 all over again. Roger Taylor (drums) and Brian May (guitar) clearly have not lost a step and are as great as ever. What was erie here is that in some places, Rodgers even sounds a bit like Freddie. (maybe a rougher version but the results are still good).

One of my favorite Queen songs is "Hammer to Fall" and its featured here. What is different is that instead of immediately heading into the song's rocking opening riff, the band plays the first couple of verses acoustically and at a slower pace. Then, BAM! They head right into the middle break of the song! Awesome.

Other highlights include "Another One Bites the Dust", Roger Taylor's lead vox on "I'm in Love With My Car", "All Right Now" and "Bohemian Rhapsody", complete with a live playback of Freddie himself singing the piano intro and outro (almost sounded like he was actually there!).

I would've liked to have seen the band go into some more deeper Queen cuts such as "Death on Two Legs", "Now I'm Here", "Seven Seas of Rye" and the Live Aid anthem, "One Vision". Maybe North American audiences will hear these next year.

A great live set. Looking forward to the DVD.

I'm happy that Paul Rodgers has helped Queen resurrect itself as a live force on stage.

Afterall, Freddie said "the Show Must Go On".

:)

Return of the Champions track list:
----------------------------------------

Disc 1
1. Reaching Out
2. Tie Your Mother Down
3. I Want To Break Free
4. Fat Bottomed Girls
5. Wishing Well
6. Another One Bites The Dust
7. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
8. Say It’s Not True
9. ‘39
10. Love Of My Life
11. Hammer To Fall
12. Feel Like Making Love
13. Let There Be Drums
14. I’m In Love With My Car
15. Guitar Solo
16. Last Horizon

Disc 2
1. These Are The Days Of Our Lives
2. Radio Ga Ga
3. Can’t Get Enough
4. A Kind Of Magic
5. I Want It All
6. Bohemian Rhapsody
7. The Show Must Go On
8. All Right Now
9. We Will Rock You
10. We Are The Champions
11. God Save The Queen

Shaun Ponsonby
10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Being a huge Queen fan-I picked this up the day it came out (and went to one of the shows). They picked great Bad Company and Free songs, and the most of the songs PR sings suit his voice beautifully (most of all-Tie Your Mother Down). My only problem with it is that there are a number of songs I'd have thought PR could sing well that wern't performed (Now I'm Here/Keep Yourself Alive etc).

I also love the fact that in the intro to some of the songs you get little snippets of other (less known) Queen classics. In "Fat Bottomed Girls" you get the riff from "White Man" in "A Kind of Magic" you get "Get Down Make Love" and "She Makes Me", and during his solo, Brian plays some of "Chinese Torture".

Possibly my favourite release of the year. DVD out a week on Monday in the UK, dunno about America.

Mr Badguy
10-13-2005, 01:25 PM
It sounds exactly like I thought it would.

Like a glorified Queen tribute band.

Good luck to them, but I wish they would cut out the "We`d like to dedicate tonight to a special friend who can`t be here..." stuff.

Didn`t we get that at the Wembley 1992 tribute concert?

Freddie`s dead almost 14 years, let the guy rest in peace for fuck`s sake.

Vinnie Velvet
10-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
It sounds exactly like I thought it would.

Like a glorified Queen tribute band.

Good luck to them, but I wish they would cut out the "We`d like to dedicate tonight to a special friend who can`t be here..." stuff.

Didn`t we get that at the Wembley 1992 tribute concert?

Freddie`s dead almost 14 years, let the guy rest in peace for fuck`s sake.

Well, its not like they are passing themselves off as "QUEEN". "Cause they're not.

Queen will always be Freddie, Brian, Roger and John.

So, that's why they call themselves Queen + Paul Rodgers.

And its not a complete Queen concert -- you've got some Free and Bad Company stuff in there.

And to his credit, Rodgers isn't trying to sound like Freddie, but he's not butchering the songs either (like our friend Sam Hagar did with the few CVH tunes he sang).

I don't blame Brian and Roger for wanting to do this. They did a few songs with Paul Rodgers and thought, "hey this sounds great--let's take it on the road".

And can you blame them? The band Queen hasn't gone on tour since 1986!

A long time.

I don't see this as a tribute band. Besides, bassist John Deacon is not even involved. (Shaun, help me with this again--who's playing bass on this tour?).

I see it as a celebration of their music.

And having a live recording of Freddie sing the piano intro and outro to Bohemium is very appropriate, because who could do THAT song besides Freddie himself? No one.

Mr Badguy
10-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but why keep reminding everyone that he`s dead?

Surely anyone who bought a ticket for one of those shows would have known that already FOR OVER A DECADE.

Get on with your careers and let the guy rest already.

Vinnie Velvet
10-14-2005, 08:45 AM

Surely anyone who bought a ticket for one of those shows would have known that already FOR OVER A DECADE.

I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Besides Freddie didn't write or co-write EVERY Queen song out there.

Case in point: "Another One Bites the Dust" was written by John Deacon and "Hammer to Fall" was written by Brian May.

I don't think they're reminding anyone that he's dead. That's stupid. Everyone knows that Freddie died of AIDS, come on now.

Bohemian Rhapsody is all Freddie. The fans know it, the whole music world knows it--that song epitomizes Freddie--so what they did by having a recorded live performance of him singing the intro and outro is only appropriate. Besides, Paul Rodgers does sing the fast portion of the song, when it kicks in after the 'opera' thing. He even sings the end bit too -- '...nothing really matters...'.

Jahuli
10-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Queen are my favourite band of all time, but i never plan on listening or watching anything with them and PR . Its a disgrace,

Vinnie Velvet
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli
Queen are my favourite band of all time, but i never plan on listening or watching anything with them and PR . Its a disgrace,

Well, to each their own.

Besides "Queen" and "Queen + Paul Rodgers" are two different entities.

I for one think Rodgers does a good job.

Remember, THE SHOW MUST GO ON.;)

Mr Badguy
10-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Besides Freddie didn't write or co-write EVERY Queen song out there.

Case in point: "Another One Bites the Dust" was written by John Deacon and "Hammer to Fall" was written by Brian May.

I don't think they're reminding anyone that he's dead. That's stupid. Everyone knows that Freddie died of AIDS, come on now.

Bohemian Rhapsody is all Freddie. The fans know it, the whole music world knows it--that song epitomizes Freddie--so what they did by having a recorded live performance of him singing the intro and outro is only appropriate. Besides, Paul Rodgers does sing the fast portion of the song, when it kicks in after the 'opera' thing. He even sings the end bit too -- '...nothing really matters...'.

Isn`t there a spot on that album where they say something like that?

Maybe it isn`t on the US issue.

It`s before "Love of my life" where they have the big dedication.

Why even mention him?

Why even call themselves Queen?

Everyone knows who Brian May and Roger Taylor are that would be interested in buying a ticket.

They will never be able to step out of the shadow of Freddie Mercury unless they accept that he is in the past and should stay there.

I hope they make a shit hot original LP because that`s when we`ll all discover if they`ve got anything other to offer than pre-1991 classics (Rodgers goes even further back).

Don`t get me wrong, noone has more right to play those songs than they do but I think they`re just milking a cash cow.

"Return of the champions" (what a pretentious title) is like Page and Plant`s "Un-led-ed" or Thin Lizzy`s "One night only", you`ll think it`s great now but in five years it`ll be gathering dust on your CD rack.

Vinnie Velvet
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM

Why even mention him?

Everyone knows who Brian May and Roger Taylor are that would be interested in buying a ticket.

They will never be able to step out of the shadow of Freddie Mercury unless they accept that he is in the past and should stay there.

I hope they make a shit hot original LP because that`s when we`ll all discover if they`ve got anything other to offer than pre-1991 classics (Rodgers goes even further back).

Don`t get me wrong, noone has more right to play those songs than they do but I think they`re just milking a cash cow.

"Return of the champions" (what a pretentious title) is like Page and Plant`s "Un-led-ed" or Thin Lizzy`s "One night only", you`ll think it`s great now but in five years it`ll be gathering dust on your CD rack.

Okay, nothing wrong with a band trying to make some more money. Afterall, it is their 'job.';)

But if that was really the case, then how come it took them 14 years to go out on tour with another singer after Freddie's death?

Obviously, Brian and Roger were busy promoting other things, more Queen projects (DVDs, CD compilations, the We Will Rock You musical, etc.)

I think they WILL go in a write new material for an album.

Give it a listen, Badguy. You'll actually like it.

Mr Badguy
10-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Okay, nothing wrong with a band trying to make some more money. Afterall, it is their 'job.';)

But if that was really the case, then how come it took them 14 years to go out on tour with another singer after Freddie's death?

Obviously, Brian and Roger were busy promoting other things, more Queen projects (DVDs, CD compilations, the We Will Rock You musical, etc.)

I think they WILL go in a write new material for an album.

Give it a listen, Badguy. You'll actually like it.

I have listened to it.

A few times.

I bought it out of curiosity.

I like Queen although I`m not their biggest fan.

Using the name Queen is worse than what Kiss are doing.

At least they never really stopped, rather than suddenly reappearing with another "superstar" who hasn`t recorded anything worthwhile for over twenty years.

It`s like Paul and Ringo getting Bob Dylan and calling it "The Beatles".

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Freddie who ??

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 04:54 PM

I wouldn't mind that...

Mr Badguy
10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, you could be the fourth member.

:D

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
(Shaun, help me with this again--who's playing bass on this tour?).

Danny Miranda

and John Moses is playing rhythm guitar.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Freddie was only mentioned once, and that was to dedicate one of his favourite tracks (Love Of My Life) to him. The only other times he was seen of/heard of is when he appeared singing Bo Rhap, and when, during "Days Of Our Lives" when old footage of all 4 band members appeared on screen.

If they tour again after making an album together-they probably won't mention Freddie. To be honest, I think its to show people that, although they are touring with another singer, they haven't forgotten him.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli

Why is it a disgrace?

Cynical people are right up there with murderers and paedophiles. At least give it a go. I have a friend who thought the same thing, but once he heard a boot I had, he was raving about it.

If you don't listen to it, you'll never know how you feel about it.

At least Badguy has heard the album.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Why even mention him?

Because they miss him, along with a lot of people. To be perfectly honest, I think a lot of die-hard fans, who have followed and loved Freddie since "Queen" in 1973 would be offended if he wasn't even aknowledged.

Because if they don't have "Queen" somewhere in their name, then people won't know its Queen material, will they?

But, the songs are bigger than the band. A lot of people know Queen songs, but don't know the first thing about the band/the band's history.

Thats more down to the fans. When someone is on TV everyday or on the radio every day, its hard to step out of his shadow.

[/B]
I hope they make a shit hot original LP because that`s when we`ll all discover if they`ve got anything other to offer than pre-1991 classics (Rodgers goes even further back).[/B]
I hope they will, yes. But, I do think they have more to offer. I think they've proved that with their solo albums (Brian May in particular).

If that was the case, they would have went out with the first person they came across in 1992 instead of leaving it for 14 years. Brian has said on a number of occasions that he never wanted to tour (as Queen or solo) again, until he played with Paul Rodgers and Roger Taylor at the UK Music Hall Of Fame.

I agree that its not the best title (and the cover isn't very good), but I can't see it gathering dust. Possibly because I was at one of the shows.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I have listened to it.

A few times.

I bought it out of curiosity.

I like Queen although I`m not their biggest fan.

Using the name Queen is worse than what Kiss are doing.

At least they never really stopped, rather than suddenly reappearing with another "superstar" who hasn`t recorded anything worthwhile for over twenty years.

But they wouldn't call it the Beatles, they'd call it "The Beatles + Bob Dylan".

In the same way Queen aren't calling themselves "Queen", they're calling themselves " Queen + Paul Rodgers".

Shaun Ponsonby
10-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Fuck, I'm exhausted now.

Jahuli
10-16-2005, 12:48 AM
OFF TOPIC:
Hey shaun werent you the one who like the boosh ?
love that show (1st series, have not seen 2nd)

Shaun Ponsonby
10-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes I was-hence the picture in my sig.

Vinnie Velvet
10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I for one think that there will always be ONE Queen, as everyone else knows.

"there can be only ONE..."

I would've been pissed if there was no mention of Freddie during the whole entire live set.

I'm glad Brian mentioned him during 'Love of My Life' and glad that they had a recorded live track of Freddie singing Bo Rap's intro and outro--only appropriate.

Afterall, whenever Queen plays any of their past classics, the ghost of Freddie will always be there regardless even if they didn't even call themselves "Queen" or Queen with Paul Rodgers.

I think that's a testement to the greatness of Mercury and the songs of Queen.

stilleddiesangel
10-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I was at this gig.. Sheffield Arena... and put a review on here the day after. It was one of the best gigs I've ever attended. No-one was more sceptical that me as I'm a huge Freddy fan. But, credit to them, they played the music and acknowledged the fans love Mercury. The heightened emotions when 15,000 people sang Love of my Life was remarkable. Do not forget, Fred was May and Taylors best friend and they want to keep his memory alive too. Rogers didn't even attempt to overshadow Feddies ghost and it worked well. Freddies Mom was also there, so with that and the cd now available, it really does make it extra special for me.

stilleddiesangel
10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
ooops duplicate post..

Shaun Ponsonby
10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Indeed...

weesfreewheelin
10-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Picked up the dvd at best buy today for $19.99 and kicks ass. Not really a Queen fan as much as Paul(Muddy)Rodgers. He smokes on We Will Rock You, which is worth the price of admission alone:cool:

diamondsgirl
10-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I'll definately pick this up. I love Queen and Rodgers. :)

Thanks, VV. :cool: