PDA

View Full Version : Chewbacca to become an American citizen??

FORD
10-14-2005, 02:45 AM
'Chewbacca' to become an American
British-born actor married to Texan
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/13/citizen.wookiee.ap/story.mayhew.wookiee.ap.jpg
Nice hair, dude!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a Wookiee named Chewbacca growled and howled his way through "Star Wars" movies. On Monday, the actor who played him will take the oath to become an American citizen.

British-born Peter Mayhew will be among 441 people from 77 countries who will become naturalized Americans in a ceremony in Arlington, Texas.

Mayhew, 60, played the fur-covered warrior Chewbacca in the original "Star Wars" trilogy of the 1970s and 1980s, and the latest movie, "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith."

"I got married to a Texan lady. That more or less decided it," said Mayhew, who has been married to his wife, Angelique, for six years.

In most cases, an immigrant must be a legal permanent resident for five years before becoming a citizen. The wait is three years if the person marries a U.S. citizen. He also must pass history, English and civics exams.

"I've always been interested in the cowboys and the history of the West and the history of America, so it wasn't so bad," Mayhew said in a telephone interview Wednesday. He was being driven by his wife to buy a suit for the occasion. It will be the conventional type -- not the brown, furry sort.

"I am feeling very happy about it," Mayhew said. "Whatever people say about America, it is still one of the most wonderful countries in the world, despite the politics, religion and everything else that goes on."

"I know that I have the best of both worlds with the dual nationality," he said.

When he takes his oath to become an American, Mayhew said he'll recite what he can remember and "it will be a Chewie growl for the other parts."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/13/citizen.wookiee.ap/index.html

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm scratching my head at why you posted this...:confused:

MAX
10-14-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm thinkin' it's cos Chewbacca's marrying someone from Texas, his citizenship was expidited (not because of his celebrity status ;) ) but because it's some sort of an intergalactic BCE plot? lol.

scamper
10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
This is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now, think about that. That does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee-- an eight-foot-tall Wookiee-- want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

But more importantly, you have to ask yourself: What does that have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense!

Look at me, I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talking about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense.

And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation... Does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

FORD
10-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I'm thinkin' it's cos Chewbacca's marrying someone from Texas, his citizenship was expidited (not because of his celebrity status ;) ) but because it's some sort of an intergalactic BCE plot? lol.

Nah... Not even Junior's dumb enough to fuck with the Wookiee Nation.

4moreyears
10-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I'm scratching my head at why you posted this...:confused:

Because I am a dumbfuck!!!

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears

Realizing you're a "dumbfuck" is the first step on the long road to recovery...

DLR'sCock
10-14-2005, 07:57 PM

You will certainly get a consensus and that assertion.

Guitar Shark
10-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Editing posts again, eh Dave? ;)

FORD
10-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Do you see an Edited by FORD anywhere in that post?

LoungeMachine
10-15-2005, 01:55 AM

Your first intelligent post.

Well done, Gump

Nickdfresh
10-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

I think he was supposed to be answering this thread title for Ford, but since he's mildly retarded, he forgot to "originally posted by Ford" it.

Guitar Shark
10-15-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't care either way.