PDA

View Full Version : Strat wiring question

jackassrock
10-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm trying to wire a strat with three hotrails that will coil tap.

What's the eaisest way ?

I'd like to get away with it by using a push/pull pot, but what if it's in the 2 or 4 position ? Would one pup be split and the other full ?

Should I just use a switch, or can it be done w/ one push/pull ?

Thanks

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 06:01 PM
You need a switch for each coil tap...

click HERE! (http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/category/wiringresources/)

:elvis:

kentuckyklira
10-15-2005, 06:39 AM
It can be done with one switch. But that switch taps all the pups, so you´re reducing your tone options.

Nitro Express
10-17-2005, 02:42 AM
There are sevral ways to wire pickup coils using switches. Steve Vai uses the 5 way selector switch to split the coils in his humbuckers. I think on a Strat to keep things simple, I would use a switch for each pickup. You deffinately could use a potentionmeter with a push/pull switch and use one for the two tone knobs and volume knob to keep the classic look of a Strat.

jackassrock
10-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
It can be done with one switch. But that switch taps all the pups, so you´re reducing your tone options.

I think that's what he's looking for. Where do I find a diagram ?

ELVIS
10-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Did you even click on the link I provided ??

:rolleyes:

jackassrock
10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
yes, I'm familiar with guitar electronics site. It was the first place I looked. In fact, I actually tried to find a diagram on several sites before asking the question here.

I can't find , however any diagram for 3 hums w/ 5 way and coil tapping.

Can you ?

ELVIS
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
No, but you can draw your own diagram based on existing diagrams from that and other guitar electronics sites...

jhale667
10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Or you could try www.stewartmacdonald.com maybe they have some up....