PDA

View Full Version : CRUNCH!!! Part II - The Sequel

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Hey, if I'm going to be accused, I might as well get a piece of the action? :)

http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~akeo/snail/pic1.jpg

Snails and slugs
Question:
I can't get rid of snails and slugs in my yard. It seems like when it rains, it must rain snails. Even when it's not wet here, I still have them. I've tried a powder substance, granules, beer traps and I even poured beer on the plants. My poor plants are just constantly being eaten by those darn critters. Is there anything else I can use?

Answer:
Snails and slugs are a problem in many landscapes. They are often imported into the landscape with new plants. Snail and slug eggs, or the mollusks themselves (they are mollusks, related to oysters and clams - please don't ask me to tell you how to make them into escargot), may be found in the soil around the roots of many ornamental plants. Once they have been introduced into a landscape, they are difficult to eradicate. It is even difficult to keep their populations low enough to minimize the damage that they do.

Many people don't even know that they have snails and slugs in their landscape - they just find plants eaten by some secretive critter. As you have described, it is easiest to find them after a rain or irrigation. You may also recognize their presence by the silvery slime-trails that they leave on sidewalks or plant leaves. They lay down a layer of mucus (slime) as they travel across a surface. This slime protects them from sharp objects, even allowing them to crawl along the edge of a razor blade.

There are some techniques that do work to a limited degree to help manage snails and slugs. Some people have had success with copper screen or copper bands surrounding areas they wanted to protect from snails. Others have used bands of fertilizer around some plants. The fertilizer salt dehydrates the snails and kills them (like table salt, but fertilizer salts aren't harmful to plants if not over-used). If you wish, you can sprinkle a little granular fertilizer on the snails and slugs by hand, but this is time-consuming and only kills a few of them.

It seems everyone knows of the beer-filled traps into which the snails and slugs crawl and drown. It has been shown that non-alcoholic beer is also effective. A Master Gardener tells of snails being attracted to some mushrooms drying on her porch. She hand-collected and disposed of the snails. (The mushrooms didn't kill the snails but were an effective attractant.)

There are commercial snail bait products that may be used. Some products use chemicals which are quite toxic and should be used with caution where children, pets, and beneficial wildlife may potentially be affected. Another product uses iron phosphate. This is much safer to use and seems to be effective. A side benefit is the addition of both iron and phosphate plant nutrients to the soil.

There are also some predatory snails available through mail order insectaries (look for advertisements in gardening magazines). These snails eat other snails. They may also eat plants but are reputed to limit their damage through their cannibalistic nature (they eat their own kind, preventing damaging populations from developing).

Finally, when all else has failed, hand-picking (yuck!) after rains and irrigation may be employed. This is not extremely effective in ridding a landscape of snails and slugs, but there is the vengeance factor that some gardeners appreciate.

You may find it most beneficial to use several management methods in combination. However, if you use the predatory snails, do not use the other techniques at the same time as these techniques will kill the predators as well as the pest snails and slugs.

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:15 AM
There was once a snail who was sick and tired of his reputation for being so slow. He decided to get some fast wheels to make up the difference. After shopping around a while, he decided that the Datson 240-Z was the car to get. So the snail goes to the nearest Datsun dealer and says he wants to buy the 240-Z, but he wants it repainted "240-S".

The dealer asks, "Why 'S'?"

The snail replies, "'S' stands for snail. I want everybody who sees me roaring past to know who's driving."

Well, the dealer doesn't want to lose the unique opportunity to sell a car to a snail, so he agrees to have the car repainted for a small fee.

The snail gets his new car and spent the rest of his days roaring happily down the highway at top speed. And whenever anyone would see him zooming by, they'd say "Wow! Look at that S-car go!"

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:16 AM
http://www.mikesjournal.com/Slug%20and%20Snail%20Bait.jpg

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:17 AM
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/169250_front200.jpg

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:20 AM
I still cannot believe that people actually eat the sickening fuckers.

Gross... :uck:

http://www.eleganthack.com/archives/escargot-sm.jpg

MAX
10-16-2005, 04:22 AM
Well, that's about as much spamming as I can muster. Fuck, it's a pain in the ass.

Anyway and just like this snail, I'm outa heeya...

Late :)

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/154/4501/640/escargot.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Do you like talking to yourself MAXIMUS?

Nickdfresh
10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Do you like talking to yourself OU812MAXIMUS?

Anonymous
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
This thread is a precious buindle of information.

Shall we bump it?

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Where's Max been at, anywho?

Matt White
04-11-2007, 10:47 AM
He'll be back....................

bueno bob
04-11-2007, 10:48 AM
In shock over the RNRHOF/VH implosion, perhaps...

Matt White
04-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Maybe............

Might be snowed in.................

or out..........

He's a busy dude...................

bueno bob
04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Well with 16 wives, you can only imagine...

:D

Matt White
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
HA!!!

The lawn will need tending soon............

He'll be back with a vengence:rockit2: