PDA

View Full Version : Saint Vitus

bueno bob
10-16-2005, 12:25 PM
And why, you ask?

bueno bob
10-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Saint Vitus was the first of the American doom metal bands, really. They were playing Sabbath-styled music when Sabbath was SO not hot (1979-1983). Originally formed under the name Tyrant out of L.A., Vitus was composed of frontman and main songsmith Dave Chandler (guitar, backing and occasional lead vocals), Scott Reagers (lead vocals), Mark Adams (bass) and Armando Acosta (drums).

Being from the local L.A. scene, they had a chance to run with a lot of different other underground bands, one of which was the now legendary (and then virtually unknown) Black Flag. Because of their association with Flag, Vitus was picked up on the SST label in 1983 and cut their first LP, "Saint Vitus" in 1984.

They followed it up with opening for Black Flag, and as you could imagine, a doom metal band opening up for underground legends Black Flag was not well received by the audience. Middle fingers extended greeted them, jeers, cat-calls, boos, thrown objects, etc...but Vitus persisted, and cut "Hallow's Victim" in 1985 and followed it up with the EP "The Walking Dead" in 1986.

Now this is where it gets interesting.

Scott Reagers, while working on the follow-up album (which would be 1987's "Born Too Late", a song he actually got co-writing credits alongside Chandler with), acrimoniously split with the band for reasons that are absolutely unknown to the Vitus fanbase, although their are rumors and the he-said/they-said drama (sound familiar?).

Vitus replaced Reagers with frontman from an unheard of D.C. band called The Obsessed, a guy by the name of Scott "Wino" Weinrich (who also took to playing rhythm guitar with Chandler - again, sound like anyone else we know?). Wino went on to record what most Vitus fans of today got into first - the discography of "Born Too Late" (1987), the "Thirsty and Miserable" EP (1987), "Mournful Cries" (1988), "V" (1989) and "Live" (1990) before splitting with the band to return to his old project, but the OLD term Vitus fans always professed, for the most part, that Reagers was STILL the real lead singer for Vitus.

Anyway, Wino went back to The Obsessed, which was really more or less a solo act for him at that point - hmmm...anyone else drawing any parallels? No? This'll get ya.

Vitus released a best of compilation in 1991 called "Heavier Than Thou" (which didn't feature Reagers on any new tracks, all previously released material only), but they followed up quickly by hiring new vocalist Christian Linderson (ex of Canada's Count Raven) as new singer. The resulting album, "C.O.D." (1992) had a small fanbase, but Vitus fans nearly EVERYWHERE deadpanned it as non-Vitus and abysmally boring, poorly produced crap. The band knew it'd fucked up with the choice of Linderson and he got his walking papers shortly after the whole thing blew up.

Haven't we all made this run with another band? Ahh...but here's where Vitus saved themselves...

In 1995, amid NO rumors or speculation about the future of Saint Vitus, they returned with THE ORIGINAL LINEUP - Scott Reagers, Dave Chandler, Mark Adams, Armando Acosta (not that Chandler, Adams, or Acosta had ever gone anywhere - although Armando missed a few dates on the VERY limited C.O.D. tour). They released 1995's "Die Healing" and announced that they would be splitting thereafter.

A few shows later to the most dedicated fan base (which was to be found in Germany at that time) and it was all over. Saint Vitus rode off into the sunset triumphantly ignored for most of their career, but ended the run on a high note and gave ALL versions of Saint Vitus fans everything they'd wanted to hear/see.

Van Halen could have learned A LOT from these guys.

bueno bob
10-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Bumped...so that you assholes will read it and respond accordingly...

The Scatologist
10-17-2005, 03:48 AM
I love the fasion statement the guy in the background is making.

I love to wear the occasional panty on my head myself.

EbDawson
10-17-2005, 05:23 AM
I'm speechless.

DrMaddVibe
10-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Saint Vitus dance on my molars tonight...la da da da da!