PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple/Zeppelin Question

PHOENIX
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm a big fan of Deep Purple and Zep. I noticed though that i have never read an interview where Blackmore speaks about Page or Vice Versa. Does anybody remember any interview where they were asked to comment on each other? Was there any animosity between these 2 bands? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rikk
10-16-2005, 09:12 PM
The only thing I remember concerning both bands is an incident in 1976 where John Bonham gets onstage at a DEEP PURPLE MARK IV show and exclaims something about ZEPPELIN having a new album coming out and then insulting Tommy Bolin onstage.

Funny enough, Bolin and Blackmore were big fans of each other. The night Bolin died, Blackmore dedicated a song to him during his set. They apparently knew each other.

Blackmore is one of my favorite guitarists, and Bolin was awesome himself.

Terry
10-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Can't really recall anything other than Blackmore saying he thought Page's greatest strength was in composition, perhaps more so than actually playing. This is paraphrased, and from the mid 1970s.

Mr Badguy
10-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Whenever I heard Blackmore talking about Page, he always referred to him as "Little Jim".

They both know each other from session work in the 60`s.

Last_Child
10-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rikk

Funny enough, Bolin and Blackmore were big fans of each other. The night Bolin died, Blackmore dedicated a song to him during his set. They apparently knew each other.

I think They Played Mistreated for him.

PHOENIX
10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

bueno bob
10-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't know if it relates, but Tony Iommi once said there was a "good natured rivalry" about album sales between himself, Page and Blackmore...

Last_Child
10-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Thanks.

And I also think that the Bootleg of the show is aviable at The Dime.

ace diamond
10-18-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm a big fan of Deep Purple and Zep. I noticed though that i have never read an interview where Blackmore speaks about Page or Vice Versa. Does anybody remember any interview where they were asked to comment on each other? Was there any animosity between these 2 bands? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

not that i can recall. deep purple were not rivals with led zeppelin in those days. the rivalry was between deep purple and black sabbath. and a number of things were said.

BrownSound1
10-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I've read an interview where Blackmore kind of takes shots at Page...nothing terribly bad, just disagreeing with Page on what he played guitar on in his session days. He did confirm that Page played the solo on You Really Got Me, because Jon Lord played the piano on that song, and said as much.

I think Ritchie calls Page "Little Jim," because there was another session guitarist in England called Big Jim Sullivan, and both Page and Blackmore were under his wing, so to speak.

Matt White
10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
GUITAR WORLD July, 1986 JIMMY PAGE special issue

JOHN PAUL JONES --Reflections on a Golden Staircase: The view from Inside the Limo.

My Ten Least Favorite People :
"Blackmore is another guy I don't like. He was supposed to have been a big sessions man but he must have done demos because he was never a regular session man. I'm getting out all my pet hates." JPJ

Rikk
10-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Last_Child
And I also think that the Bootleg of the show is aviable at The Dime.

Get out? Awesome. I'm gonna go check that out.

Bolin was an amazing guitar-player. Be great to hear Blackmore paying tribute to him...

nosuchluck
10-19-2005, 08:52 AM

yep. Bolin got the Deep Purple gig on Blackmore's recommendation.

PHOENIX
10-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
GUITAR WORLD July, 1986 JIMMY PAGE special issue

JOHN PAUL JONES --Reflections on a Golden Staircase: The view from Inside the Limo.

My Ten Least Favorite People :
"Blackmore is another guy I don't like. He was supposed to have been a big sessions man but he must have done demos because he was never a regular session man. I'm getting out all my pet hates." JPJ

Good stuff. I need more. I love this shit.:D

bueno bob
10-19-2005, 11:49 AM
JPJ doesn't have any room to talk shit about Blackmore IMO... :)

Matt White
10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
I think JPJ was just havin' some fun at Richies expense......

Jones was a very accomplished sessions dude back in the 60's....

"MELLOW YELLOW" "HURDY GURDYMAN"......he scored the strings on the ROLLING STONES "She's a RAINBOW"........

best one.....

Page, on hearing JETHRO TULL were going to record a live record in L.A......

"They should call it BORE 'EM AT THE FORUM."

:DHAHAHAHA!!!!

PHOENIX
10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I think JPJ was just havin' some fun at Richies expense......

Jones was a very accomplished sessions dude back in the 60's....

"MELLOW YELLOW" "HURDY GURDYMAN"......he scored the strings on the ROLLING STONES "She's a RAINBOW"........

best one.....

Page, on hearing JETHRO TULL were going to record a live record in L.A......

"They should call it BORE 'EM AT THE FORUM."

:DHAHAHAHA!!!!

I guess Page isnt into the "Flute Rock" thing.:D

Cato
10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
The night Bolin died, Blackmore dedicated a song to him during his set. They apparently knew each other.

in fact, Blackmore did it 3 days later. Bolin died on December 4th 1976 in Florida after he did an opening performance for Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer, and Blackmore dedicated Mistreated to Bolin on 7th in my town. he was touring Japan as Rainbow at that time.

Cato
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
yep. Bolin got the Deep Purple gig on Blackmore's recommendation.
er..no. it was not Blackmore but a roadie of Deep Purple. when they were looking for a new guitarist, he(roadie) said, "Hey David(Coverdale), what about Tommy Bolin, you like Spectrum(Billy Cobham's album, featuring Bolin) don't you? you should call him"

Bolin and Blackmore didn't know each other at all until Bolin joined the band.

PHOENIX
10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Why did Coverdale split from Purple?

Rikk
10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Why did Coverdale split from Purple?

He didn't, really.

They broke up in early 1976 after the Bolin line-up really never took off...and Coverdale was pretty upset. In fact, when he formed WHITESNAKE in 1978, he managed to convince Jon Lord to play in the band for the next five years!

But when PURPLE re-convened in 1984, they began again as the MARK II line-up...with Gillan singing. That's still the best line-up, though I love the stuff with Coverdale too.

Of course, I don't really like the current line-up too much...I can't stand STEVE MORSE.

PHOENIX
10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
He didn't, really.

They broke up in early 1976 after the Bolin line-up really never took off...and Coverdale was pretty upset. In fact, when he formed WHITESNAKE in 1978, he managed to convince Jon Lord to play in the band for the next five years!

But when PURPLE re-convened in 1984, they began again as the MARK II line-up...with Gillan singing. That's still the best line-up, though I love the stuff with Coverdale too.

Of course, I don't really like the current line-up too much...I can't stand STEVE MORSE.

Its too bad Blackmore is playing that "Flute Rock" shit with his wife.

Rikk
10-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Its too bad Blackmore is playing that "Flute Rock" shit with his wife.

I know. Another of the greatest rock guitarists, wasting his talents away.:mad:

BrownSound1
10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
JPJ doesn't have any room to talk shit about Blackmore IMO... :)

I think he's got plenty of room to talk...he certainly shames Blackmore on the number of sessions he recorded, and the names of people he played with in those sessions. Heck, he even surpasses Page on that. Plus, JPJ is a brilliant arranger and musician...and finally he was in muthafuckin' Led Zeppelin. :D

Diamondjimi
10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Cato
er..no. it was not Blackmore but a roadie of Deep Purple. when they were looking for a new guitarist, he(roadie) said, "Hey David(Coverdale), what about Tommy Bolin, you like Spectrum(Billy Cobham's album, featuring Bolin) don't you? you should call him"

Bolin and Blackmore didn't know each other at all until Bolin joined the band.

True fact !

Although I disagree with Rikk about Morse.

I find the Morse era Purple very inspiring. Seen 'em 10 times .Always a rockin show. Unlike Ritchies latter years with the band .
Just witness the "Hell or Highwater" vid.

Rikk
10-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Although I disagree with Rikk about Morse.

I find the Morse era Purple very inspiring. Seen 'em 10 times .Always a rockin show. Unlike Ritchies latter years with the band .
Just witness the "Hell or Highwater" vid.

You know, I think they're still good live. I saw 'em two years ago and really loved it. But I also think the band shouldn't be around without Jon Lord. And also, Morse's solos were way too wanker for me. I miss Blackmore's sound...even if the band weren't getting along when he was around.

The last great PURPLE song? THE BATTLE RAGES ON...from Blackmore's last album without them. They need him for riffs. They have some good songs without Blackmore, but generally, they desperately need him for material-writing.

DeadOrAlive
10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I think he's got plenty of room to talk...he certainly shames Blackmore on the number of sessions he recorded, and the names of people he played with in those sessions. Heck, he even surpasses Page on that. Plus, JPJ is a brilliant arranger and musician...and finally he was in muthafuckin' Led Zeppelin. :D

Agreed. 100%. He's also my idol for a bassist.

Diver Down NJ
10-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Isn't Blackmore playing the Renaissance Fair circuit these days (seriously)?

bueno bob
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
Isn't Blackmore playing the Renaissance Fair circuit these days (seriously)?

Well, who'd you rather get head from, Ian Gillan or Candice Night?

:)

I can understand some things....lol...

My final note on the JPJ/Blackmore thing: Ritchie's an old fave of mine, and as a bassist, I was never tremendously moved by Jones. Oh, I know he did plenty of great session work, no doubt, I won't argue that, but...I gotta stick with Ritch...sorry :)

All is good.

Diver Down NJ
10-23-2005, 12:55 PM
JPJ did great work with Zep. I bought his first solo album, Zooma, and was not impressed.

nosuchluck
10-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
JPJ did great work with Zep. I bought his first solo album, Zooma, and was not impressed.

check out 'The Thunderthief' - its much better than 'Zooma'.

BrownSound1
10-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Actually his first solo album was the Scream For Help soundtrack...not really all that good.

JPJ kicks ass as a bassist. He had the job of holding down the fort between Bonzo and Page, and I'll guarantee you that was no easy task. He played perfectly within the context of the song, without all of this flashy bullshit that a lot of people do. He had chops out the ass..but kept it in check. (See the Immigrant Song) Hell I guarantee you he could play anything Entwistle or Bruce could play.

What I'll say about Blackmore is this, he's good, but he's never made my jaw drop. I love Deep Purple, but I always liked them more for Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, and Ian Paice, rather than Blackmore. I mean, Jon Lord is probably the greatest rock organist of all time..

I always did wonder what each band thought of the other one. I also wonder if Jimi Hendrix ever referenced either band.

One last thing, since Blackmore isn't ever going to play with Deep Purple again, I think they should drop Steve Morse and call up Yngwie Malmsteen. Yngwie would be a perfect replacement for Blackmore. I do like Steve Morse as a player, but I just for the life of me still can't see him playing in Deep Purple.

ELVIS
10-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
What I'll say about Blackmore is this, he's good, but he's never made my jaw drop. I love Deep Purple, but I always liked them more for Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, and Ian Paice, rather than Blackmore. I mean, Jon Lord is probably the greatest rock organist of all time..

One last thing, since Blackmore isn't ever going to play with Deep Purple again, I think they should drop Steve Morse and call up Yngwie Malmsteen. Yngwie would be a perfect replacement for Blackmore. I do like Steve Morse as a player, but I just for the life of me still can't see him playing in Deep Purple.

Awesome!

I couldn't agree more with what I've quoted...

Yngwie knows that material like the back of his hand...

I still feel Yngwie is the best guitarist to ever walk the earth...

Too bad alot of his songs suck...:D

:elvis:

Golden AWe
10-28-2005, 05:26 AM
I larve most of the old JETHRO TULL!!!