PDA

View Full Version : SNL Comedian Commits Suicide

LoungeMachine
10-17-2005, 01:38 PM
ABC News
Ex-'SNL' Comedian's Death Ruled a SuicideCharles Rocket's Death Ruled a Suicide; Comedian Appeared on 'SNL' and 'Moonlighting'
The Associated Press

FARMINGTON, Conn. Oct 17, 2005 — Actor and comedian Charles Rocket, who had roles in a variety of movies and TV series and briefly gained notoriety for uttering an obscenity on "Saturday Night Live," committed suicide, the state medical examiner ruled.

Rocket, 56, whose real name was Charles Claverie, was found dead in a field near his home in Canterbury on Oct 7. His throat had been cut, the medical examiner said.

"An investigation determined there was no criminal aspect to this case," State Police Sgt. J. Paul Vance said Monday.

Rocket was a cast member on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" during the 1980-81 season. The profanity incident happened during a spoof of the "Who Shot J.R.?" plot line on "Dallas," which created a nationwide sensation at the time.

"Dallas" star Charlene Tilton was the "SNL" guest host that week. Rocket, who came on stage in a wheelchair, uttered the profanity after he was asked what it was like to have been shot.

The incident sparked complaints from viewers and prompted NBC to issue an apology. Rocket was later dismissed along with other cast members and writers on the show amid weak ratings at the time.

He went on to appear in numerous TV shows, including "Moonlighting" and "Max Headroom," and provided voices for cartoon series. His movie credits included "Earth Girls are Easy," "Dumb and Dumber" and "Dances With Wolves," according to the Internet Movie Database.

Before his time on "Saturday Night Live," Rocket was an anchorman at television stations in Colorado and Rhode Island and played an influential role in the Providence, R.I., arts scene decades ago, friends said.

"I just think he was one of the nicest and funniest people I ever met," said Chip Young, who co-wrote a column on Rocket in a Providence paper. "He had so many friends and influenced so many people."

jhale667
10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Who cuts their own throat? Geeez! That sucks, he was funny...:(

ThrillsNSpills
10-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Who commits suicide by slicing your own throat?

good point. no pun intended

LoungeMachine
10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Who cuts their own throat? Geeez! That sucks, he was funny...:(

That's what I'm saying.

Who walks out into a field, slits their own throat, and then lays there bleeding out?

My bullshit meter is in the red.

Where's Quincy when we need him

jhale667
10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
That's what I'm saying.

Who walks out into a field, slits their own throat, and then lays there bleeding out?

No shit!!!:D

FORD
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM
What did the BCE have on this guy?

Unchainme
10-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by FORD
What did the BCE have on this guy?

He said Fuck on National TV in 1981.

"I Would Like To No Who The FUCK did it."

Matt White
10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
That's gotta hurt.......:(

guwapo_rocker
10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
The SNL producers should commit suicide.

The show has sucked for 20 years.

fryingdutchman
10-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm...............don't remember the guy.

I used to watch SNL fairly regularly. Did he have a distinguishing character on the show? Or was he just a bit player?

Either way....a throat slash is a fucked up way to go. Definitely an odd choice for suicide....

ELVIS
10-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
Hmmmmmmmmm...............don't remember the guy.

Maybe if some of these lazy bums would take the time to post a pic with their threads...

http://www.ehrensteinland.com/images/g007/charlesrocket.jpg

:elvis:

Susie Q
10-18-2005, 10:26 AM
That's what I'm saying.

I loved Quincy, MD. Dammit....good show.

Ya, this dude was murdered, not self inflicted.

Cathedral
10-18-2005, 11:01 AM
No criminal aspect?
I'd say being dead in a field with a slashed throat looks pretty criminal to me.
But if that is the report the dude filed then it's now a closed case. sad too, because someone got away with murder.

If i knew i could catch a break like that?
Shame on a couple of people i know.

LoungeMachine
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Maybe if some of these lazy bums would take the time to post a pic with their threads...

http://www.ehrensteinland.com/images/g007/charlesrocket.jpg

:elvis:

Hey, you callin' me lazy? :D ;)

Nice pic of his throat, though. Looks ok to me.

Must be a "before" pic :cool:

LoungeMachine
10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Holy shit

Where'd SHE come from?

ELVIS ????????

WTF????

Nitro Express
10-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Geeze. If you've ever seen the video of those insurgients cutting people's heads off with a big hunting knife, some of those people let out a pretty good scream. This is when another person is behind them using a very sharp knife cutting through their throat. Of course instant death is going to come when the spinal cord is severed but this is protected by the spine which is the hardest part to cut through.

The state executioner of Saudi Arabia uses a Japanese made sumuri style sword because he has had problems with the spinal cord in the past with lesser swords. Humane executions involving decapatation always hit the spinal cord first with a sharp axe or sword. Taking a head off cleanly was a problem and that why Dr. Gullitine invented a mechanical device to do better.

Sure you can cut your own throat and bleed to death, but what a stupid thing to do. He either wanted to make a statement, was fucked up on drugs, or was just a dumb ass. If you want to kill yourself, carbon monoxide poisoning works well or washing phenol barbitol down with the hard liquer of your choice also works.

Soul Reaper
10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
there seems to be a lot of comedians dying recently...

Nitro Express
10-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey. Is that Wolfgang Van Halen playing the new Wolfgang guitar prototype?

Diamondjimi
10-19-2005, 01:59 AM
That's a picture of Shawn Lane.

Phenomenal musician . Check him out...

http://www.shawnlane.com/index1024.html

Mr. Vengeance
10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
there seems to be a lot of comedians dying recently...
Trust me, Charlie Rocket was no fucking comedian. He was among the worst ever on SNL. No talent. All he did was a mediocre job on the news. He used to be all pissed off that Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo got all the attention, because he felt that he was the star.

Soul Reaper
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Hey. Is that Wolfgang Van Halen playing the new Wolfgang guitar prototype?

how dare you insult one of the greatest guitarists ever....Shawn Lane is phenomenal.....now worries, he did look a bit like Wolfgang in later years.....R.I.P Shawn

Soul Reaper
10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Trust me, Charlie Rocket was no fucking comedian. He was among the worst ever on SNL. No talent. All he did was a mediocre job on the news. He used to be all pissed off that Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo got all the attention, because he felt that he was the star.

I'm not interested anyway.....I was just pointing out comedians dying recently.....he was that shit, eh?! :D

Golden AWe
10-20-2005, 01:50 PM
i would most definetely fuck both nicole richie and paris hilton

Soul Reaper
10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
indeed...

Terry
10-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
i would most definetely fuck both nicole richie and paris hilton

Paris I would let blow me...then, instead of coming, I'd piss in her mouth. After I was done, I'd have her say "that's hot."

Nicole Richie is just skanky. If given the chance, I'd like to liberate some of her money from her under the guise of a loan, but I seriously doubt I could get it up for that.

Nickdfresh
10-20-2005, 09:58 PM
That's what I'm saying.

This reminds me of a case where an Army Reservist from Buffalo was found dead on jogging trail during his annual training at Ft. Leonard Wood I think, he was stabbed dozens of times.

It was ruled suicide by the brilliant detectives in the Army's CID...

bueno bob
10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
The SNL producers should commit suicide.

The show has sucked for 20 years.

A-fuckin'-men.