PDA

View Full Version : GLU Founding Member Dead at 34

Mezro
10-17-2005, 02:13 PM
GOD LIVES UNDERWATER founding member David Reilly passed away on Sunday, October 16 due to complications from longstanding stomach problems. He was 34 years old. Thom Hazaert of Corporate Punishment Records — the label which released Reilly's solo EP, "Inside", in 2004 — has issued the following statement regarding Reilly's death:

"I just received the devastating news that my brother and friend, and the first artist signed to Corporate Punishment, David Reilly (who was also the singer and one half of one of the greatest and most underrated bands to ever exist, GOD LIVES UNDERWATER), passed away [Sunday] morning due to complications from longstanding stomach problems. David had his demons just like everyone, and he lived his life the best he could. Yeah, he fucked up, and when he fucked up it was usually big. But I am honored and humbled to have had the chance to work with someone like him, an amazing artist and visionary, who in my eyes will always be one of the most talented people to ever walk the Earth.

"We had the amazing pleasure of releasing David's first and only official solo recording, 'Inside', last year, and he had recently signed a deal with Sony to release a new solo record. Unfortunately this will never happen, which might be one of the biggest travesties of all. And although he will remain forever in our hearts, David will be sorely missed by everyone at Corporate Punishment Records."

So why does this matter?

Dave and I went to high school together. We were in the same art class together. Dave and I worked at the same after school retail job. His drummer was one of my good friends. His girlfriend ended up working with me years later. And when Rick Rubin signed God Lives Underwater to Def Jam, I was proud as hell that somebody else made it out of Lansdale, PA.

But Dave had demons, Dave loved needles and Dave self destructed.

Rumors started to surface in 1995 that he was HIV positive. The last time I saw him was almost ten years ago; he looked like shit and it was so obvious he was in trouble.

Then I moved to San Francisco and never heard anything about Dave again...until today.

If you have never heard God Lives Underwater, check out the Empty CD. I know now that the lyrics will mean even more to me than ever...

http://www.enjoyglu.com/discography.php

Mezro...and so it goes...life is so fragile...and at this moment...life feels empty...RIP Dave...

FORD
10-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Don't know anything about the guy or his band, but a sad story nonetheless. Sounds a lot like Kurt.... stomach problems, trying to self-medicate with needles.... what a waste :(

Sorry for your loss, Mez.

Mezro
10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks FORD.

Mezro...he was an amazing talent...almost like Trent Reznor...he played everything himself on the CDs...such a waste...

WACF
10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
That band sounds familiar...was it in the Stabbing Westward vein?

Sorry to hear of your loss...seems talented people need to suffer.

Mezro
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by WACF
That band sounds familiar...was it in the Stabbing Westward vein?

Mezro...in that vein...great stuff...they should have been much bigger but Dave kept fucking up...

ThrillsNSpills
10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Sorry Mez.
That stuff always hits you deep when it's someone you know.
34 is too young.