• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Chargers, Dolphins swap third-string QBs

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

October 18, 2005

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Chargers took third-string quarterback A.J. Feeley off Miami's hands and gave up on guard Toniu Fonoti in separate deals before the NFL trading deadline on Tuesday.

The Chargers picked up two draft picks in the process. Besides getting Feeley, the Chargers also got a sixth-round pick in 2006 from Miami for third-string quarterback Cleo Lemon, who's never taken a regular-season snap.

The Chargers sent Fonoti to Minnesota for a seventh-round draft pick in 2006, which will be upgraded to a sixth-rounder if Fonoti dresses for six games or starts three games.

Feeley started eight games for Miami last year, but was demoted by new coach Nick Saban heading into this season.

Lemon was on San Diego's practice squad in 2003 and was the fourth-stringer last season.

Feeley has been a bust in Miami. He was obtained from the Philadelphia Eagles on March 3, 2004, for a second-round draft pick. He played in 11 games, including eight starts, throwing 11 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions. Playing behind a weak offensive line, he was sacked 23 times.

After naming Gus Frerotte the starter this year, Saban dropped Feeley to third on the depth chart behind Sage Rosenfels.

The acquisition of Feeley certainly had fans wondering what the Chargers will do with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers after this season.

After leading San Diego to the playoffs last year, Brees was tagged as the Chargers' ``franchise'' player, earning an $8 million, one-year contract. The Chargers have several options with Brees, including signing him to a long-term deal, franchising him again and keeping him, or franchising him and trading him.

Rivers, in the second year of a six-year contract, played only sparingly as a rookie last year and hasn't taken a snap this year. He was taken with the No. 4 pick overall in the 2004 draft by the New York Giants, then sent to San Diego, along with a handful of picks, for Eli Manning.

``I don't discuss our football business,'' general manager A.J. Smith said. ``I understand speculation as to, why is A.J. Feeley here and not Cleo Lemon. People should focus on the draft pick rather than the quarterback.

``We stockpile players, bring in the best players. At the end of the year, we make decisions. This gives us injury protection.''

Feeley started five games for Philadelphia in 2002 when Donovan McNabb was hurt.

Fonoti was a second-round draft pick in 2002. The Chargers liked his size -- 6-foot-4, 350 pounds -- but Fonoti battled injuries and weight problems. Fonoti missed the last four games with a broken hand, and sat out the entire 2003 season with a foot injury. The Chargers also apparently wearied of Fonoti's work ethic. He was absent without an excuse from the start of minicamps the last two years.

Although Fonoti was a bust in San Diego, if he can stay healthy he'll fill a need on the Vikings offensive line, which has been inconsistent during the team's 1-4 start. He has started 32 of the 33 games he's played, including the first of the season before breaking his hand in practice Sept. 14. He played the following week in a loss to Denver, but had a plate inserted and required further surgery.

The Chargers had planned to determine Fonoti's future at the end of the season, but began shopping him around earlier this month. They later invited his agent, Steve Feldman, to try to broker a deal.

Smith said ``several situations'' involving Fonoti early in the season hastened the player's exit.

Smith refused to offer specifics, and Feldman didn't return a call seeking comment.

AP Sports Writers Jon Krawczynski in Minneapolis and Steven Wine in Miami contributed to this report.

• POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

I saw that this morning...and thought...

"Did I miss a bigger deal?"

Damn...was hoping it would happen this year...

Rivers will be fronting someone next season...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

*cough*Lions*cough*

Comment

• krcampbell
        Groupie
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

Rivers will be fronting someone next season...
        No sir, Rivers will be starting somewhere THIS season. Why do you think this deal was made? The only reason Rivers hasn't gone anywhere this year is because Cleo Lemon would have been the backup in San Diego. Now they have Feeley, who's a more than passable backup. Don't be stunned to see Rivers end up somewhere VERY soon.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I would doubt it myself.

What if Brees goes down?

Rivers would be a much more viable back-up for a playoff run than Feeley.

The Dolphins think they got the better of the deal with Lemon The cap is a big reason SD won't move Rivers this season.

Comment

• krcampbell
            Groupie
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
            I would doubt it myself.

What if Brees goes down?

Rivers would be a much more viable back-up for a playoff run than Feeley.

The Dolphins think they got the better of the deal with Lemon The cap is a big reason SD won't move Rivers this season.
            San Diego does have a lot of room under the cap to keep these guys, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Rivers is a better backup than Feeley. We've never seen Rivers play any kind of meaningul NFL time, who knows what he would do in a game. Feeley is a quality quarterback. He may not have an upside like Philip Rivers at this point, but he's good.

And I think it's a good deal both ways. Lemon isn't as good as Feeley, but Toniu Fonoti is a monster. If he can get his head right, he'll be a quality guard in Miami for a long time to come.

Comment

• redblkwht
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Whos to say Rivers doesnt go
              to Dallas or Denver?

I dunno..i laughed at Rattay is
              going to Tampa, whats Gruden thinking?

EUAS

Comment

• EbDawson
                Veteran
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by krcampbell
                Toniu Fonoti is a monster. If he can get his head right, he'll be a quality guard in Miami for a long time to come.
                He went to Minnesota, who needs all the help they can get. At the present though he's ahead case. He did show some flashes last year.
                "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• EbDawson
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                  Whos to say Rivers doesnt go
                  to Dallas?

Parcells for one. I can't see that happening. Detroit? Maybe.
                  "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

Working...