PDA

View Full Version : Jordan tells ``60 Minutes'' he was ``stupid'' about gambling

ALinChainz
10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
October 19, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michael Jordan admits being ``stupid'' in his gambling, but never jeopardized his livelihood or his family, he told CBS' ``60 Minutes'' in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles in the 1990s, said his gambling is related to his fierce competitiveness. But he realized when he stepped over the line.

``Yeah, I've gotten myself into (gambling) situations where I would not walk away and I've pushed the envelope,'' Jordan said in the interview.

``It's very embarrassing ... one of the things you totally regret. So you look at yourself in the mirror and say, 'I was stupid.'

Jordan also discusses his love of basketball, his father's murder and his pursuit of privacy. He also addressed critics who expected him to be more political and outspoken.

``It's heavy duty to try to do everything and please everybody,'' he said. ``My job was to go out there and play the game of basketball as best I can.''

Jordan has a new book titled ``Driven from Within.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avml2L3Gqslo6Jx31ANzj3A5nYcB?slug=ap-jordan-gambling&prov=ap&type=lgns