PDA

View Full Version : White House Looks Increasingly F***ed in CIA Leak Probe

Nickdfresh
10-21-2005, 09:22 AM
White House Defense Shaky in CIA Leak Case

By PETE YOST
WASHINGTON (AP) - Even if White House aides leaked a covert CIA officer's identity, they were simply passing along information they'd already heard from the news media, the administration's supporters maintain in a defense that looks increasing shaky as new evidence accumulates.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald now knows that Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis ``Scooter'' Libby, met three times with a New York Times reporter before the leak of Valerie Plame's identity, that Libby initiated a call to NBC newsman Tim Russert and that Libby was a confirming source about the wife of Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson for a Time magazine reporter.

Presidential political adviser Karl Rove has testified that it's possible Libby was his source before Rove talked to two reporters about the CIA operative.

Where Libby first heard the information still isn't publicly known, but a full three weeks before Plame's name first showed up in print, Libby was telling New York Times reporter Judith Miller that he thought Wilson's wife worked for the CIA, according to Miller's testimony.

While Libby maintains that he didn't know Plame's name until it was published in the news media, the now-public evidence suggests Libby at least was aware that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA and that he spread the information.

Prosecutors must determine whether it was part of an effort to undermine the credibility of Plame's husband. Leaking the identity of a covert agent can be a crime, but it must be done knowingly.

Plame's name was first made public by syndicated columnist Robert Novak in July 2003, eight days after Wilson published an op-ed piece in The New York Times saying the Bush administration had manipulated prewar intelligence on Iraqi weapons programs to justify going to war.

Novak's column said Plame worked for the CIA and that she had suggested her agency send Wilson, a former ambassador, on a mission to Africa that raised questions about the prewar intelligence.

Until this week, ``the news media did it'' was a standard defense among Republicans trying to protect the Bush administration from the political fallout of Fitzgerald's criminal investigation. Loyalists said that even if White House aides had passed on information, they didn't get it from classified sources and were simply repeating what they heard from journalists.

In grand jury testimony shown to Rove, Libby said he had told Rove about information he had gotten about Wilson's wife from Russert, according to a person directly familiar with the information.

Prosecutors, however, have a different account from Russert. The TV network has said Russert told authorities he did not know Wilson's wife's identity until it was published and therefore could not have told Libby about it. Russert also says that it was Libby who initiated the contact with him.

In Miller's case, she was interviewing Libby on June 23, 2003, for a story on the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq when the vice president's chief of staff suggested a CIA tie for Wilson's wife, Miller has said.

``This was the first time I had been told that Mr. Wilson's wife might work for the CIA,'' Miller wrote in a first-person account over the weekend.

Miller said this week that she never wrote a story about Wilson's wife because ``it wasn't that important to me. I was focused on the main question: Was our WMD intelligence slanted?''

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20051021%2F0354563979.htm&photoid=20051019WCAP104&ewp=ewp_news_1005cia_scandal

10/21/05 03:54

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

steve
10-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Caveman Lawyer say:
Cheney no like CIA.
Cheney accused many times prior to war of bullying CIA write intel his way.
Mere coincidence, caveman lawyer say, that leaks of covert CIA agent identity after war when CIA agent apprently work to discredit intel?

Case closed.

Hardrock69
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Cheney dumb. Him stoopid.
Last President who fuck with CIA get brain-pan blown out in public park in Dallas.

CIA dangerous.

Cheney not last too much longer as VP to Great WHite Father.

Nickdfresh
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/md3/jorgejulio/lawyer.JPG
"Cheney not know many people at CIA very WISE! They have technology that scare CAVEMAN LAWYER to use against bad man who break laws. Cheney foolish man. Tribal Chieftan once say wise words, 'you reap what you sow'...

CAVEMAN not understand such intrinsic and complex analogy, he need scotch and water to placate fear of mystical CIA and White House he cannot understand."

Hardrock69
10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
LAFF MY FUCKING ASS OFF!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BigBadBrian
10-21-2005, 09:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/robination2/Thread.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/robination2/Thread.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/soldierstfu.jpg

Warham
10-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Do you two need a time-out?

I sound like I'm talking to my 3 year old. lol

BITEYOASS
10-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by steve
Caveman Lawyer say:
Cheney no like CIA.
Cheney accused many times prior to war of bullying CIA write intel his way.
Mere coincidence, caveman lawyer say, that leaks of covert CIA agent identity after war when CIA agent apprently work to discredit intel?

Case closed.

WTF, is this the unfrozen caveman lawyer thread?

BigBadBrian
10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/soldierstfu.jpg

Only Warham and I are authorized to use the above poster.

We used it first. A long time ago. You're a copy-cat. :p

Hardrock69
10-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey I can use it too.

See?

Nickdfresh
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Only Warham and I are authorized to use the above poster.

We used it first. A long time ago. You're a copy-cat. :p

Well, I was using this gay-thread pic long before before you. SO indeed, feel free to STFU.:)

And this is a relevant issue, keep your "gay" pics out of it...