PDA

View Full Version : ROBERT PLANT On LED ZEPPELIN - "We Were A Boy Band And I'm Not A Boy Any More"

PHOENIX
10-24-2005, 12:11 PM
ROBERT PLANT On LED ZEPPELIN - "We Were A Boy Band And I'm Not A Boy Any More"
2005-10-23 08:57:50

The following report is courtesy of Billy Sloan from Sundaymail.co.uk

ROBERT PLANT has vowed never to reform supergroup LED ZEPPELIN for a stadium tour. He says he'd rather sing their classic hits with his new band STRANGE SENSATION at tiny venues to just 1500 fans. Plant, 57, who plays Edinburgh Corn Exchange next Thursday and Barrowland in Glasgow on October 29, said: "I've not been offered vast sums to reform Led Zeppelin. I would never do it anyway. We were a boy band and I'm not a boy any more. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now."

He continues: "My show is sometimes a bit of a hard ticket to sell because it's not about nostalgia. I don't want to do a greatest hitsstyle tour. I want to be thought of alongside people like TOM WAITS, WILLIE NELSON or ALEX CHILTON - guys who turn their music around on themselves."

Diver Down NJ
10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Right on. A nostalgia tour sounds like a good idea, but it's not. Plant has always kicked ass as a solo artist, anyway.

PHOENIX
10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
This will be news to Page. I'll bet he didnt know he was part of a boy band.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
Right on. A nostalgia tour sounds like a good idea, but it's not. Plant has always kicked ass as a solo artist, anyway.

Not always. Have you heard "Now and Zen"?

twonabomber
10-24-2005, 02:23 PM
what's wrong with Now and Zen?

PHOENIX
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Now and Zen is pretty good. Was at the height of his solo career in my opinion.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
what's wrong with Now and Zen?

I've got all his records, safe the last two, dig them all safe "Now and Zen"... It's awful IMO, all those horrible plonk-plonk synths on those ill-inspired, shaky tracks...
Apart from the two Page/Plant albums, "Manic Nirvana" and, above all, "Fate of Nations" really make it.
"Now and Zen" is a hen's turd on Robert's work, I think. But what rock giants don't have their own?

Golden AWe
10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
There is no real Led Zep anyway, without Bonzo.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Now and Zen is pretty good. Was at the height of his solo career in my opinion.

Oops! Sorry, I wouldn't have posted what I posted sooner if I could have known.:D

PHOENIX
10-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Oops! Sorry, I wouldn't have posted what I posted sooner if I could have known.:D

Why? Post whatever you want. As long as its not about " Indochine " LOL.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Why? Post whatever you want. As long as its not about " Indochine " LOL.

LOL!!!!! I swear I never will!:D

WACF
10-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I saw the "Now And Zen" tour...It was awsome.

I liked "Now And Zen" back then...just like I liked "Skyscraper".
Those discs are dated by the sound of the time.

I heard "Walking towards paradise" today on the radio...the keyboard intro had me thinking this song should be on a '80s channel.

Diver Down NJ
10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I don't dig Now and Zen that much.

And as for "boy band," I think what Plant means is that the Zeppelin stuff is best left in the past, not that it was childish or anything.

DLR_EngineRoom
10-24-2005, 04:03 PM
ROBERT PLANT On LED ZEPPELIN - "We Were A Boy Band And I'm Not A Boy Any More"
2005-10-23 08:57:50

The following report is courtesy of Billy Sloan from Sundaymail.co.uk

ROBERT PLANT has vowed never to reform supergroup LED ZEPPELIN for a stadium tour. He says he'd rather sing their classic hits with his new band STRANGE SENSATION at tiny venues to just 1500 fans. Plant, 57, who plays Edinburgh Corn Exchange next Thursday and Barrowland in Glasgow on October 29, said: "I've not been offered vast sums to reform Led Zeppelin. I would never do it anyway. We were a boy band and I'm not a boy any more. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now."

He continues: "My show is sometimes a bit of a hard ticket to sell because it's not about nostalgia. I don't want to do a greatest hitsstyle tour. I want to be thought of alongside people like TOM WAITS, WILLIE NELSON or ALEX CHILTON - guys who turn their music around on themselves."

Selfish prick...actually believes that Bonham would feel proud, while screwing his son out of his rightful place in Zep.

Hey, here's an idea.....why doesn't Plant join the remaining members of Van Halen....that way we'd have a total band of selfish schmucks!

Then Dave could get to work on some snazzy clazzy stuff w/Page!

Jérôme Frenchise
10-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, I like Robert a lot, I met him by sheer chance in 1998 near Bron-Yr-Aur, he is the coolest dude you can imagine, not mentioning his well-deserved megastar status, but I think he'd had rather say "boy" than just "young"... Damn, he'll be 60 in 2008!
I'd love to manage as he does if I ever reach that age, though.:cool:

Satan
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Boy band???

The Devil does NOT purchase the souls of BOY BANDS!!

Nice going, Bobby Vegetable :mad:

Dirty Duck
10-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Not for nothin...but I'm so sick of hearing shit like this when rock stars get OLDER. It's always the same shit...."we were imature and stupid back in the day"..."We were young we didnt know any better.." Fuck all that! Youth is king and always will be. Eddie Van Halen does the same thing. Always puts down his past...."I was young back then..." You were BETTER pal. As soon as Rockstars grow up or get off drugs it's never the same. You think AEROSMITH sounds better NOW then back in 76'? Gimmie a fuckin break! I love being young...and I'll always look back with a big smile on my face. Who wants to get old? I hope I die young and leave a good lookin corpse... : )

rustoffa
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
There is no real Led Zep anyway, without Bonzo.

Bingo.

I'm sure JPJ would expound volumes on that if he wasn't so fucking weird. Look at any of the old footage....Jones as close as he could get to that huge marching band drum.

"thank god you're here Moses....that dipshit's trying to part the Atlantic with a theramin!"

Matt White
10-24-2005, 10:55 PM
YOu have to take PLant's comments with a grain of salt....

He's been popping off about ZEP since they broke up.....

BUT...let ANYBODY else say something NEGATIVE about 'em....

AND HE GETS FIRED UP

He's always struggled to get out from under the shadow of ZEPPELIN...and he can't

Matt White
10-24-2005, 10:56 PM
And I agree with RUS...after seeing the LED ZEPPELIN DVD.....

No BONZO...NO ZEPPELIN......

I can respect that

Jérôme Frenchise
10-25-2005, 09:07 AM
No Zeppelin without Bonzo... I bet Robert himself thinks so more than anybody. He'd already been playing with him during the pre-New Yardbirds-Led Zeppelin years since he was something like 16 (Band of Joy was their last band name before Jimmy Page hired Plant, who said he wouldn't join Page's project unless Bonham came along, if I remember well).
Robert was like bound to Bonzo, both as a musician and a friend, even more than Page and Jones could be.

Besides, who can bear any grudge on Robert Plant as far as not willing to reform Led Zeppelin, really? All they did, albums and tours, went beyond anywhere any band could ever dream of...

johnburrows
10-25-2005, 07:14 PM
You can't recreate the magic of the mighty led zeppelin, it would be like trying to recreate the sexual magic a man has before marrying his wife. It never happens. That's why they invented anniversaries, to attempt to capture that old black magic. Besides, the closest you had to see any form of Led Zep was to catch them on the Plant/Page tour.

Terry
10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Don't even wanna see 'Led Zeppelin' reform anyway.

Anyone dying to see that should have had their fill with the Plant/Page tours of the late 1990s. Walking Into Clarksdale was a slab o' poo, and we got to see Plant struggle with the Zep catalog live (face it, his voice, far as Zep went, was getting shot even BEFORE Bonzo died)...not so good. Jason Bonham and JPJ participating would only make it sound marginally better.

You know what Plant solo album I really dig? Pictures At Eleven is probably my fave of his, but I really like Shaken and Stirred. The stuff on that was so bizarre, and took so many chances. Now and Zen was decent. So was Manic Nirvana. After that, I couldn't be bothered.

Know what else? I totally dug the Coverdale/Page album.

rustoffa
10-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
No Zeppelin without Bonzo... I bet Robert himself thinks so more than anybody. He'd already been playing with him during the pre-New Yardbirds-Led Zeppelin years since he was something like 16 (Band of Joy was their last band name before Jimmy Page hired Plant, who said he wouldn't join Page's project unless Bonham came along, if I remember well).
Robert was like bound to Bonzo, both as a musician and a friend, even more than Page and Jones could be.

Besides, who can bear any grudge on Robert Plant as far as not willing to reform Led Zeppelin, really? All they did, albums and tours, went beyond anywhere any band could ever dream of...

I remember this old interview with Plant where he talked about Bonham's kick drum giving him bad dreams....

I need to try and find that.

Matt White
10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Saw both PAGE&PLANT tours.....

BRILLIANT

"PICTURES AT ELEVEN" is also my fav PLANT solo......

After watching the DVD I'm convinced it would be pointless to trot out a "Led ZEP" without BONZO........

He was SUPER-HUMAN

BrownSound1
10-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Plant has always said such things, so I wouldn't let it bother me too much. He said the only reason he reunited with Page was because they had a slightly different take on the old material, and he had missed playing with Jimmy. I think that though by the Walking Into Clarksdale tour that he was realizing that what they were playing were basically Led Zep versions of the songs, and that it was a bit of a rehash. Not that there is anything wrong with that, because I'm thankful that I got to see the two perform together on both tours.

I would almost bet that they will do another project, whether it be a one off on each other's album or whatever, before it is all said and done.

Plant can never escape his Led Zeppelin persona...he shouldn't even try. That does bother me a bit, but I understand that he is trying to promote the "here and now" Plant stuff.

Hey, seems that Pagey is working on a new album...wonder how that'll be.

Matt White
10-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Bet it'll be interesting......I'll be in line to get it!!!

roryrobson666
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Robert Plant is so cool...im seeing him with strange sensation soon!!!

Hardrock69
11-06-2005, 02:13 AM
You will dig it.
I saw them 4 months ago.

In more recent news (TODAY), I was speaking with a longtime friend, who was my sole drummer for a period of 10 years during the 80s.

He is close friends with someone I used to hang with who now works on the road for major bands such as Yes, ELP, etc.

Led Zep is apparently planning a tour with Jason Bonham, and tour managers, and other road dogs are trying to get gigs working on the crew.

Obviously this should be considered rumour, but in this case I would tend to give the info a bit more cred than anything I have heard about this previously.

Regardless of what the truth is, we are going to see what happens, won't we?
:cool:

PHOENIX
11-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
You will dig it.
I saw them 4 months ago.

In more recent news (TODAY), I was speaking with a longtime friend, who was my sole drummer for a period of 10 years during the 80s.

He is close friends with someone I used to hang with who now works on the road for major bands such as Yes, ELP, etc.

Led Zep is apparently planning a tour with Jason Bonham, and tour managers, and other road dogs are trying to get gigs working on the crew.

Obviously this should be considered rumour, but in this case I would tend to give the info a bit more cred than anything I have heard about this previously.

Regardless of what the truth is, we are going to see what happens, won't we?
:cool:

Nope.

Jimmy Page is working on a Santana style project.
Different songs with different singers.
David Coverdale recently mentioned it but wouldnt say if he was one of the guests.