PDA

View Full Version : The Heresy Files: Was Bonham's Death Just A Coincidental Excuse?

DLR_EngineRoom
10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
This thread reminded me of something I had wondered:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28867

Zep's last 3 albums (if you count CODA) weren't as cool as their earlier stuff.

I get the sneakin' suspicion that Robert Plant wanted to jump ship before Bonham died.

Which would make sense why he doesn't want/never wanted a full on Zep reunion with Jason Bonham. After all, Jase ain't no tax attorney or hanglider, he's a drummer. He knows his father's stuff like the back of his hand. Who better? I could understand not wanting anyone else to take Bonzo's place, but his own flesh and blood? A chip off the old block in every classic sense of the word?

I have serious doubts that Zep woulda continued had Bonzo lived.

Why? Me thinx it stinx of Plant....

Anyone else believe this 'Conspiracy Theory' of mine?

I'm open to hearing feedback on this....

krcampbell
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't think that's totally out of the question, but it doesn't seem likely.

"In the summer of 1979, after two warm-up shows in Copenhagen, Led Zeppelin was booked as headliner at England's Knebworth Festival in August. Close to 400,000 fans witnessed the return of Led Zeppelin and, with the release of In Through the Out Door in August, they were ready to tour again, planning a short European tour followed by another American tour.

"The 1980 American tour was not to be, however. On September 25, 1980, shortly before embarking on the U.S. leg of the tour, drummer John Bonham died of an accidental asphyxiation after an alcohol binge. Because of Bonham's death, the remaining band members determined they could not continue as Led Zeppelin. For many years after, there had been ongoing rumours of a reunion and plans for various collaborative projects."

Zeppelin may not have been pumping out incredible albums like they had been doing years prior, but they were still making music and still touring. Regardless of the circumstances, Bonham's death marked the end of Zeppelin for good. Jason Bonham may be good, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I like that there hasn't been a Zeppelin reunion for the sake of nostalgia. Page and Plant was good stuff, and that's probably the most we could have hoped for.

DLR_EngineRoom
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by krcampbell
Jason Bonham may be good, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I like that there hasn't been a Zeppelin reunion for the sake of nostalgia. Page and Plant was good stuff, and that's probably the most we could have hoped for.

I can respect your opinion - hey, I asked for it! - but I somewhat disagree. Any other drummer on the face of the earth - anyone - and I'd agree, it's just NOT the same.

Except for Jason. Blood. Chip. Namesake. Father's son.

He's all of the above. And I feel it was a mistake to overlook him like this.

A Zep reunion with Jason would be sold out worldwide.

And it wouldn't be a 'quasi-reunion'. It'd be full on.

Mr Badguy
10-24-2005, 04:58 PM
There`s no doubt that Plant had had enough of Zeppelin circa 1980.

However, there could be more to it than Bonham`s death: his son`s death, his car accident in 1975, the bad karma all around the 1977 tour, various band and management members hooked on hard drugs etc.

I think all of that could have contributed to Plant ending his involvement in Zeppelin both then and now.

And hats off to him for it.

Zeppelin could be the only band not to tarnish their legacy for one more tour, a patchy reunion album and a live DVD that shows the members as a bunch of old men trying to recreate a legend.

I always get the feeling that Plant is never really comfortable with the high profile "rock god" role, prefering to keep a low profile and make the kind of music he wants to instead of rehashing Zeppelin styled songs.

Kind of like what Kurt Cobain probably wanted to do.

He deserves respect for not selling out.

Rikk
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Yup. I have a ton of respect for Plant. Even when he got together with Page (for two excellent tours), he demanded something new and groundbreaking in a project. To play old songs reworked as world music and then to record a new album with an indie-style producer (STEVE ALBINI). And what an album WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE was. Amazes me that more Zep fans don't pick it up and enjoy it. It was excellent.

monkeythe
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
I don't buy that blood crap. When her daddy retires should Black Sabbath reunite with Kelly Osbourne?

Matt White
10-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Good ol' Percy!!!

LoungeMachine
10-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Bill Clinton Killed John Bonham

- Warham

Golden AWe
10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
There`s no doubt that Plant had had enough of Zeppelin circa 1980.

However, there could be more to it than Bonham`s death: his son`s death, his car accident in 1975, the bad karma all around the 1977 tour, various band and management members hooked on hard drugs etc.

I think all of that could have contributed to Plant ending his involvement in Zeppelin both then and now.

And hats off to him for it.

Zeppelin could be the only band not to tarnish their legacy for one more tour, a patchy reunion album and a live DVD that shows the members as a bunch of old men trying to recreate a legend.

I always get the feeling that Plant is never really comfortable with the high profile "rock god" role, prefering to keep a low profile and make the kind of music he wants to instead of rehashing Zeppelin styled songs.

Kind of like what Kurt Cobain probably wanted to do.

He deserves respect for not selling out.

Exactly.

Besides, we have plenty of Led Zeppelin boots and now, also live DVD's etc. No coffins or Bonham-masks, but just what we need from a GRATE band...or should I say, THE GRATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, we have LOADS of EXCELLENT music...

PHOENIX
10-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Plant has said before he wanted out of Zep after his son died. But carried on and says his lack of creativity showed on their last 3 albums.

DLR_EngineRoom
10-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by monkeythe
I don't buy that blood crap. When her daddy retires should Black Sabbath reunite with Kelly Osbourne?

Professionally, no. But man, I'd have good reason to see Black Sabbath, more so than now (I prefer Ozzy solo).

'Chick Sabbath' haha