PDA

View Full Version : New Study Shows Pot Less Of A Cancer Risk Than Tobacco

Hardrock69
10-25-2005, 12:36 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/v4/sub/MarketingPage?user_URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com%2Fservlet%2FArticleNews%2F TPStory%2FLAC%2F20051018%2FHSMOKE18%2FTPHealth%2F% 3Fquery%3DPot&ord=1130258080711&brand=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

The above link will not let you read the full story unless you register...I just posted it to show where the story came from.

Here is ther full story:

By Andre Picard, Public Health Reporter�
Source: Globe and Mail �

cannabis Canada -- Marijuana smokers are less likely to contract cancer than cigarette smokers, new research suggests.

While cannabis and tobacco smoke are chemically similar, the key difference is that cigarettes contain nicotine, which appears to bolster the cancer-causing properties of tobacco, while cannabis contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the active ingredient in pot), which may actually reduce the carcinogenic properties of some chemicals.

"Current knowledge does not suggest that cannabis smoke will have a carcinogenic potential comparable to that resulting from exposure to tobacco smoke," said Robert Melamede, chairman of the department of biology at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

The new study, published in today's edition of the medical journal Harm Reduction, is a review and analysis of research that has already been published.

The research has important political implications in the ongoing debate about medical marijuana.

One of the principal reasons public-health officials and medical experts oppose the use of marijuana as a prescription drug is the belief that the risks outweigh the benefits, and the fear that endorsing medical marijuana undermines anti-smoking campaigns.

Marijuana contains about four times the level of tar found in cigarettes, and is believed to place smokers at risk of lung cancer and other cancers related to smoking.

But Dr. Melamede said there is no solid evidence that cannabis smoking increases the risk of lung cancer or other cancers related to tobacco smoking such as breast, colon and rectal cancer.

He said there is evidence from studies done on laboratory rats that the THC in cannabis smoke "exerts a protective effect" against potential carcinogens and evidence that nicotine found in cigarettes activates the growth of tumours.

"While both tobacco and cannabis smoke have similar properties chemically, their pharmacological activities differ greatly," Dr. Melamede said.

But Roberta Ferrence, director of the Ontario Tobacco Research Unit and professor of public health at the University of Toronto, expressed grave doubts about the research, likening it to splitting hairs.

"It may be that cannabis is slightly less carcinogenic but tobacco smoke is extremely carcinogenic so that doesn't tell us very much," she said.

Dr. Ferrence said that most carcinogens are a byproduct of combustion, so "anything you burn and inhale is going to be carcinogenic -- including tobacco and cannabis. There is no way, based on this research, that you can say that smoking cannabis is safe."

She also noted that many people who smoke marijuana mix it with tobacco, and that makes the chemical distinctions moot. "From a public-health perspective, smoking is smoking," Dr. Ferrence said.

Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical compounds, dozens of which are known carcinogens.

An estimated 5.1 million Canadians, or 20 per cent of the population 15 and older, report smoking cigarettes regularly, according to the Tobacco Use Monitoring Survey. More men (22 per cent) smoke than women (17 per cent).

By contrast, an estimated three million people, or 12.2 per cent of those 15 or older, reported that they smoked marijuana at least once in the past year, according to Statistics Canada.

Nearly half (47 per cent) of those who had used cannabis in the previous year smoked less than once a month, 10 per cent reported weekly use, and another 10 per cent said they smoked pot daily.

Canada has had a medicinal marijuana program since 2001. Since then, Health Canada has issued about 750 licences for people to smoke marijuana for the treatment of chronic pain and other ailments.

Note: Nicotine in cigarettes appears to boost carcinogenic properties, researchers find.

Complete Title: Pot Less of a Cancer Risk Than Tobacco, Study Suggests

Source: Globe and Mail (Canada)
Author: Andre Picard, Public Health Reporter
Published: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 Page A23
Copyright: 2005 The Globe and Mail Company

Angel
10-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Good thing I chose to quit smoking cigarettes, isn't it? ;)

Seshmeister
10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
[url]Canada has had a medicinal marijuana program since 2001. Since then, Health Canada has issued about 750 licences for people to smoke marijuana for the treatment of chronic pain and other ailments.

I never thought of this before but is that how it got the name 'Chronic'?

m_dixon1984
10-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll continue to voice this argument...unlike tobacco, pot can used in many different ways and often is among regular users. The 2 people I supply medical marijuana to mainly ingest the pot either by mixing it with tea or by including it in their favorite recipes (spaghetti sauce and brownies being the most popular). When they aren't eating it they both use vaporizers. Although the benefits of vaporizers over regular smoking have never been determined there's a school of thought that says because cannabinoids (THC and CBD) burn at a lower temperature than most of the carcinogenic chemicals found in tobacco that it is very likely much safer. There has also never been a scientific study that has researched the health risks of ingested marijuana and the fact that this isn't included in any of the official arguments absolutely infuriates me. I've seen the benefits to AIDS and MD patients (pain, muscle, and appetite control) and believe that it's time that our governments invest serious time and money to determine whether a continued, losing, "war" on drugs should include marijuana. Unlike Libertarians I don't think all drugs should be made legal, I'm sympathetic to some of the arguments however. Marijuana should be considered a special case due to the benefits realized by critically, and in most cases terminally, ill patients.
M

Hardrock69
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I just read a blowout where High Times magazine tested a bunch of different vaporizers. I had never even heard of them before.

Basically you can also make your stash last up to 50% longer, as you will get more of the THC into your system, so you can smoke less and still get just as high.

jhale667
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
vaporizers rule. I highly (pun intended) recommend them. ;)

The Scatologist
10-25-2005, 10:40 PM
waste of cash

Cathedral
10-26-2005, 01:11 AM
That's why it pays to develope a green thumb.
I've grown the shit a few times and may start again soon.

I smoke it from time to time when my appetite goes on strike for a couple of days but nothing like i did through the 80's, though those days it was solely for recreation.
It goes a long fucking way in helping to deal with chemo's side affects.

Eyes of the Night
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Angel
Good thing I chose to quit smoking cigarettes, isn't it? ;)

Hmm ... I like this study because the chronic is never harmful, to me at least ... I'm also down to a half pack of cigs a day ...

Hardrock69
10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Never smoked tobacco. For some reason my sytem could never handle it.

Makes me feel too ill.

Reefer, on the other hand, is something I have never had a problem with.