PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this movie Jarhead???

Keeyth
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Has anyone seen the ads for this flick "Jarhead"?
I think this looks like it is the ultimate blatantly glorified BCE recruitment film.
They probably went to Hollywood and said "Hey, we've lost about 2000 men over there, and support for the war is at an all time low, as is our approval rating, so can you guys do a film glorifing this senseless deathtrap we've built over their and make it look inviting to teens and twenty-somethings? We tried it with Stealth, but it failed in the box office, so....
I think it's disgusting. :mad:

Keeyth
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
OOO-Rah...

Gimme a fuckin break!

Keeyth
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I thank God for every day he gives me in the Corps... ( ...watching my buddies die around me for a war that means nothing.)

OOO-Rah...

UGS
10-29-2005, 10:57 AM
I see what you mean based on the previews, but the previews seem to be totally at odds with what the book on which the movie is based. I just finished reading it yesterday. . the author talks a lot about how the war was not the marines' to win or lose, but theirs to fight, and bitches a lot about what he hates about the corps.

bueno bob
10-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I was more offended by Shaving Ryan's Privates, myself.

Unchainme
10-30-2005, 01:23 AM
I touhght it was aginst the war myself. It didn't really show it very positively.

EbDawson
10-31-2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
I touhght it was aginst the war myself. It didn't really show it very positively.

Ditto. I think it comes out as an anti-war movie.

Keeyth
10-31-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't know. The trailers says "You see that jarhead, dreaming of serving his country? That jarhead is me" and "I love this job." etc.

Doesn't sound to anti-war to me.

Big Train
11-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Hollywood makes "PRO" war movies these days? I work there and I must have missed something HUGE...this is DNC land my friend...

Warham
11-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Hollywood only makes pro-war movies if they involve aliens and Tom Cruise.

Cathedral
11-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Just try to imagine an America where there never was a military to fight for everything we currently take for granted.
Then just be glad it didn't fall on you to lay down your life for the future liberty and freedom of others.

But then again, it's a lot like the spoiled kids who never had to earn anything for themselves. They don't appreciate anything that was provided to them at no cost to them personally.

Just try to remember that our military is a volunteer service that nobody twists our arm to join.
Then remember to thank a soldier for doing a job you can't do, or won't do, or whatever the reason is that you didn't enlist.

Agree or disagree, they all deserve and have more than earned our respect.

BigBadBrian
11-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
Hollywood makes "PRO" war movies these days? I work there and I must have missed something HUGE...this is DNC land my friend...

Exactly.

ALL war movies these days, well almost, are anti-war movies.

Keeyth, you had better look to the context in which these things you speak of were said.

:gulp:

lazlor
11-01-2005, 11:13 AM
"Hollywood makes "PRO" war movies these days? I work there and I must have missed something HUGE...this is DNC land my friend..."

you're in LA LA land Big Train? What do you do?

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I do respect all of our service men and women, and I support them.

I do not respect a movie trying to glamorize war, just for the sake of contiuing to provide future body bag filler for the pointless one we are involved in right now.

Starting a war under false pretenses is a crime.

Therefore George W. Bush should be charged and tried for War Crimes.

Warham
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you should see the movie before you go off on a rant, Keeyth.

George W. Bush had full authorization from Congress before going to war with Iraq. George W. Bush had cited 18 UN resolutions that Iraq had not followed among his reasons for going to war. All of those resolutions are in writing, and can be proven to have not been followed by Iraq. It was perfectly legal.

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Shhh...

Don't tell the truth...

:elvis:

McCarrens
11-01-2005, 02:03 PM
You guys do know that Jarhead, the movie and the book, are based on the first, and not the current, Gulf War, right?

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
LOL.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Warham

George W. Bush had full authorization from Congress before going to war with Iraq.

Based on false intelligence that HE or his staff provided them with.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
You guys do know that Jarhead, the movie and the book, are based on the first, and not the current, Gulf War, right?

Yeah, so what? My point is it's timing and soundbites are aimed at promoting recruitment for THIS war, which is technically illegal, and definitely immoral... ...and will go down in history as a greater loss and injustice than Vietnam.

Both wars had a similar President: a crook. Hmmm....

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
No, there was no difference in the intelligence that the previous administration had on Iraq and the intelligence that Bush was provided by the CIA. The previous administration believed that Iraq had WMD capabilities and a previous president went on record about that in depth going back as far as 1998.

Remember, John Kerry and several other prominent Democrats believed the same intel as late as 2003.

If the intelligence was false, that wasn't Bush's problem. That would have been the CIA/FBI's problem, which would have concerned at least the last ten years.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 02:35 PM
BECAUSE THEY WERE LIED TO!

Clinton's Weapons inspectors never found ANYTHING.

BUSH LIED.

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Keeyth
Yeah, so what? My point is it's timing and soundbites are aimed at promoting recruitment for THIS war, which is technically illegal, and definitely immoral... ...and will go down in history as a greater loss and injustice than Vietnam.

Both wars had a similar President: a crook. Hmmm....

I don't see the bytes as recruitment material. Only a kook like you who's reading stuff between the lines that's not there would say that.

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
BECAUSE THEY WERE LIED TO!

Clinton's Weapons inspectors never found ANYTHING.

BUSH LIED.

Well, if Bush lied, then so did Clinton, and every other prominent democrat and republican over the last ten years.

You don't want me to post quotes Keeyth. You really don't want me to.

BBB will come along and give you enough to fill this thread up for weeks.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 02:49 PM
You and BBB feed from the same tube of anal lube...

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 02:50 PM
That's bad for you.

Warham
You and BBB feed from the same tube of anal lube...

Aren't you a counselor?
Where's the understanding?

Keeyth
I don't see the bytes as recruitment material. Only a kook like you who's reading stuff between the lines that's not there would say that.

You don't see it? Look again.:rolleyes:

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:53 PM
You don't see it? Look again.:rolleyes:

McCarren's wasted a few minutes of his life pointing out to you that the movie is based on guys that served during the Gulf War, 14 years ago. How is that a recruitment tool for this war?

You must have two assholes, because you have feces coming out of that orafice below your nose.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
McCarren's wasted a few minutes of his life pointing out to you that the movie is based on guys that served during the Gulf War, 14 years ago. How is that a recruitment tool for this war?

You must have two assholes, because you have feces coming out of that orafice below your nose.

See? That anal lube you swallowed is affecting your ability to read. Go back and see where that was addressed already.... ...and stop chewing on the tube!:p

Warham
11-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Don't try and make excuses for this poor excuse for a thread that you started.

Two thumbs down for a shitty thread.

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
C'mon, you know you love it!

OOO-RaH!!! :p

BigBadBrian
11-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Based on false intelligence that HE or his staff provided them with.

Hmm....

I thought it was the CIA.

The same CIA the Administration is in a "dispute" with.

Yeah, they are his "staff" alright. :rolleyes:

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Hmm....

I thought it was the CIA.

The same CIA the Administration is in a "dispute" with.

Yeah, they are his "staff" alright. :rolleyes:

Uh, is there some 'other' president they are working for????

Who do you think the head of the CIA reports to???

The fucking EXIST to serve the President, dude. That's who the Central Intelligence is for...

UGS
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Read the book. . .it is definitely not pro war

UGS
11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
But then again, it's a lot like the spoiled kids who never had to earn anything for themselves. They don't appreciate anything that was provided to them at no cost to them personally.

Kinda like the guy who sent the armed forces to the Gulf, right?

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 04:58 PM
As Kelso would say... ...BURN!!!:D

Warham
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
As Kelso would say... ...BURN!!!:D

That's funny you mention Kelso.

You both have about the same IQ.

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
That's funny you mention Kelso.

You both have about the same IQ.

You mean by being pretty fuckin smart to marry in to Demi's world, and to also be creating and producing your own show (Punk'd) as well as being part of a VERY successful sitcom?

You know what's coming next:

Shaddup, DUMBASS!!! :D

Warham
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
You mean by being pretty fuckin smart to marry in to Demi's world, and to also be creating and producing your own show (Punk'd) as well as being part of a VERY successful sitcom?

You know what's coming next:

Shaddup, DUMBASS!!! :D

Let's be clear. I said Kelso, not Ashton Kucher.

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah, well that would make you Fez... :D

BITEYOASS
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Where the fuck does Hollywood come up with these glorified stories of the military? LOL In real life it's 90% waiting and moving shit around and 10% action--1% if your not in a grunt unit. Since I was in a Marine Air Wing I was more worried about an accident or helo collision than I was dying in a rocket attack. Hell if they made a movie about my expierience in the Marine Corps, then you'd all be bored shitless expect for the funny shit we do during a slow time. The Comedy we came up with in the shop was funnier than what SNL is nowadays. :D BTW, once I have access to my cannon scanner I'll upload the pics I took in Iraq.

Nitro Express
11-03-2005, 02:21 AM
The military is a machine commanded by the elected presiident. I personally don't agree with how Bush is using our armed forces. I also realize the military is composed of individual people. Some are friends of mine. I know one person in the National Guard who has been away from his family for over a year. I've seen how hard it's been on his wife and children. A founder of this website is also doing the same. No way am I going to tell these people they are wasting their time and lives. I don't agree with the politics but we are over there now. For one thing, I was happy to see the huge voter turnout in Iraq for the last election. How many of us would go out and vote with someone trying to kill you? Was the war a mistake or will it change the world for the better? It's too soon to tell. I do not agree with President Bush on many things, that is why I did not vote for him. Some here think Bush was not legally elected and there is a vast conspiracy behind him. We all have our oppinions. The system isn't perfect. We have had bad presidents, senators, congressmen, and supreme court judges before. I'm glad to see people care about our govt. because when the citizens get passive is when the SOB's take advantage of it. Nobody normal likes war, but this is where we find ourselves. The way I see it, anyone risking their life away from home because they represent my country deserves a huge "Thank You!". We are there now, we might as well try and do some good. It's the middle east, all hell can break loose nomatter what we do. Many have forgotten we were attacked. What were we suppossed to do? Sit here and do nothing? Like all nations, our leaders have taken advantage of the situation. Bush and Chenney are war profiteers but regardless of their fiddle faddle, we would be somewhere in the middle east because of the terrorist attacks. Shit Happens. It's a complicated world and every now and then, the shit flys nomatter what people do. That's life.

EbDawson
11-03-2005, 03:14 AM
I don't know. The trailers says "You see that jarhead, dreaming of serving his country? That jarhead is me" and "I love this job." etc.

Doesn't sound to anti-war to me.

Yes but that's the guy in the beginning. By then end of the book/movie he's quite disillusioned.

ELVIS
11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The military is a machine commanded by the elected presiident. I personally don't agree with how Bush is using our armed forces. I also realize the military is composed of individual people. Some are friends of mine. I know one person in the National Guard who has been away from his family for over a year. I've seen how hard it's been on his wife and children. A founder of this website is also doing the same. No way am I going to tell these people they are wasting their time and lives. I don't agree with the politics but we are over there now. For one thing, I was happy to see the huge voter turnout in Iraq for the last election. How many of us would go out and vote with someone trying to kill you? Was the war a mistake or will it change the world for the better? It's too soon to tell. I do not agree with President Bush on many things, that is why I did not vote for him. Some here think Bush was not legally elected and there is a vast conspiracy behind him. We all have our oppinions. The system isn't perfect. We have had bad presidents, senators, congressmen, and supreme court judges before. I'm glad to see people care about our govt. because when the citizens get passive is when the SOB's take advantage of it. Nobody normal likes war, but this is where we find ourselves. The way I see it, anyone risking their life away from home because they represent my country deserves a huge "Thank You!". We are there now, we might as well try and do some good. It's the middle east, all hell can break loose nomatter what we do. Many have forgotten we were attacked. What were we suppossed to do? Sit here and do nothing? Like all nations, our leaders have taken advantage of the situation. Bush and Chenney are war profiteers but regardless of their fiddle faddle, we would be somewhere in the middle east because of the terrorist attacks. Shit Happens. It's a complicated world and every now and then, the shit flys nomatter what people do. That's life.

Very nice!

Good job...

:elvis:

Cathedral
11-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Kinda like the guy who sent the armed forces to the Gulf, right?

He's a prime example, Yes.

Keeyth
11-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Yes but that's the guy in the beginning. By then end of the book/movie he's quite disillusioned.

My point is they are making it sound like it's such a great thing to be at war and such a great job that he "thanks God for every day he gives me in the Corps" and all that BS, when in reality, this war is a mockery of what real wars SHOULD be about.

A real war should happen when our freedom or country or our people are in danger or have been attacked.

Iraq was never any danger to us.

Iraq didn't attack us.

Can anybody tell me why in the FUCK we haven't found bin Laden?
A guy who is in need of a dialysis machine on a regular basis???

Can anybody tell me what right we had to even THINK about going to war with another country before the business of getting bin Laden was taken care of???

Is there some reason why we gave up on bin Laden so fast???

Didn't he supposedly attack us and start this whole military action???

What right did our administration have to go into a frivolous war and give up the hunt for this guy???

Or is he really just a scapegoat for an attack our present administration and President co-engineered so that they could achieve their real goal? (War with Iraq, getting the guy who attacked daddy Bush and all his oil, contracts for Haliburton, etc.)

This movie is being advertised as a glorified recruitment film for this war, and it sickens me.

BITEYOASS
11-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Tell you what, getting rocket attacks once every month sure as hell wasn't fun.

Warham
11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Keeyth, I'd suggest you SEE the movie before writing a review.

Keeyth
11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Don't really need to. I can see what they are trying to do just from the promotions.

You should go see Wag the Dog again.

Warham
11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm sure you thought Blackhawk Down was a promotional tool for the military as well.

Keeyth
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Nope. Not at all.

Keeyth
11-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Here's a review for ya:

LOADED, READY, AND BORED

Bruce Newman
Mercury News
Published: Friday, November 4, 2005

There's something disorienting about a movie that tries as hard as ``Jarhead'' to be both pro-soldier and anti-war. It's like a car with bumper stickers that say ``Support Our Troops'' and ``Mean people suck.'' You don't know whether to salute it, pass it or wait to see if it has a nervous breakdown.

In ``Jarhead,'' director Sam Mendes attempts to capture the disorienting experience of fighting a war that comes and goes before its foot soldiers ever get their feet wet. When they finally do, it is in the muck of oil wells set on fire by retreating Iraqi troops. The movie has gotten bogged down long before that, however; it just never catches fire.

Mendes, who proved with ``American Beauty'' and ``Road to Perdition'' that he prefers working in the dark, never brings ``Jarhead'' to life until he arrives at the unearthly oil well fires that are about as close to combat as the picture ever comes. In the bright glare of the Arabian desert, the movie's story -- to the extent that it can be said to have one -- and several of its characters seem to vanish in the haze.

Only a first-rate cast -- headed by Jake Gyllenhaal, and made memorable by the performances of Jamie Foxx and Peter Sarsgaard -- saves ``Jarhead'' from looking like a dead duck, covered in oil.

Adapted from Anthony Swofford's bestselling account of his training to be a Marine sniper in the first Gulf War, ``Jarhead'' is a meditation on the banality of warfare. Much of what director Mendes and writer William Broyles Jr. (``Apollo 13'') attempt to capture is the boredom that besets the warrior tribes when the only common enemy to fight is authority.

Movies always seem to be fighting the last war, and ``Jarhead'' takes dead aim at the Vietnam-era insanity of such pictures as ``Full Metal Jacket,'' ``Apocalypse Now'' and ``MASH'' -- which satirizes the American war effort in Vietnam, even though it's set in Korea. ``Jarhead'' often seems to want to be a sour ``MASH,'' but the funny moments trail off into nothing. The writing isn't sharp enough to sustain satire, and the characters surrounding Swofford (who is played by Gyllenhaal) are as broad and thin as the paper effigies the sniper squad uses as targets.

Like a lot of pictures that begin as memoirs, ``Jarhead'' has the unshapely feel of a life waiting to begin. At 20, Swoff joins up because his father and his uncle were in the Corps and then spends a lot of the movie regretting what he has done. During boot camp, Swofford infuriates his drill instructor, who demands to know why he enlisted. ``Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir!'' he replies, digging himself in deeper.

Meanwhile, back at the Quonset hut, the recruits engage in some interesting tribal rituals, the most invigorating of which involves using a blowtorch to monogram new arrivals, as if they were pledges in a particularly sadistic frat house. Instead of Delta Tau Delta, the brand says USMC.

Swofford is a ``jarhead,'' the sometimes-pejorative term used to describe the high and tight haircut of a Marine recruit. The Corps fills this empty vessel with the mechanics of killing the jarhead's natural enemy. His tutor in the art of long-range precision shooting is Staff Sgt. Sykes (played by Jamie Foxx), who adds an electrifying charge to the boilerplate boot camp screaming.

Swofford's book relied on his account of the process of being trained for the Marines' elite legion of scout/snipers, but the movie lacks the eroticism of man and gun intertwined in their snakelike embrace. All Swofford can do is take target practice until Saddam Hussein launches his ill-advised invasion of Kuwait in 1990. And until then, all we can do is wait with him for a movie to break out. Watching people go out of their minds with boredom is every bit as electrifying as it sounds.

When his unit's orders to deploy to the desert finally arrive, Swofford and his buddies are getting juiced up for combat watching the air cavalry attack scene from ``Apocalypse Now,'' performing a sort of sing-along ``Ride of the Valkyries.'' For the few seconds that Francis Ford Coppola's great battle sequence is on the screen, it so thoroughly dwarfs everything around it that ``Jarhead'' seems to stall.

In the desert, the soldiers train endlessly and wait, unafraid of battle but petrified that their faithless wives and girlfriends will earn a spot on the Wall of Shame. Their fear fantasies are fed by the arrival one day of a pornographic video of a disgruntled wife and an extremely gruntled neighbor. Semper fi, oh my, my!

The tape shows more action in the bedroom than any of these Marines has seen so far in the desert, and Swofford gradually becomes unhinged. Like Mr. Roberts before him, he frets that the war might pass him by while he and his fellow Marines are playing gas mask football games for CNN. It's a video war, and the scoped rifle Swofford has brought to the mother of all battles has no joystick, and he has no joy. ``Are we ever going to get to kill anyone?'' he asks.

`Jarhead'** 1/2

http://ae.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ui/mercurynews/movie.html?id=448082&reviewId=19420

See???? They are making it seem as if going into this war will be just as mellow, never seeing combat, and covincing the lazy kids of today that they can join up and go sit on their asses all day just like they do now with their video games and all will be fun and games.

AND they'll get to enjoy the "Honor" and "Dream of Serving their country" without having to do much other than sit around. Only the reality is this war is different, and most likely they will get wounded or die. And this film seems to be trying to reel them in with false pretenses.

I have a problem with that. Sorry.
:mad:

Warham
11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
They said right off the top it's anti-war.

What else do you want?

EbDawson
11-04-2005, 01:35 AM
This movie is being advertised as a glorified recruitment film for this war, and it sickens me.

Still have to disagree with you. Actually I agree with you on Iraq (for the most part).

As far as the film goes, the producers asked the US Military/Marines if they would cooperate on the film. The military said no. Not even "well if you change a few parts, maybe", they just told them no. Several ex-military personnel were advisors on they film as well as the dude who wrote the book. But the Gov't/Military wanted no part of it. The main character, I've read (I have no desire to see the film) comes to believe that his enlistment was a mistake.

Keeyth
11-04-2005, 11:02 AM
They said right off the top it's anti-war.

What else do you want?

It's pro-soldier, which is all they need to get new recruits.
It makes it look like being a soldier is easy. Just a bunch of laying around and waiting... ...in this case for nothing much to happen at all. It's a film aimed at trapping the youth of this country into enliswting in my opinion.

Keeyth
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Still have to disagree with you. Actually I agree with you on Iraq (for the most part).

As far as the film goes, the producers asked the US Military/Marines if they would cooperate on the film. The military said no. Not even "well if you change a few parts, maybe", they just told them no. Several ex-military personnel were advisors on they film as well as the dude who wrote the book. But the Gov't/Military wanted no part of it. The main character, I've read (I have no desire to see the film) comes to believe that his enlistment was a mistake.

Yes, but he views it as a mistake because he's bored, and because nothing ever happens to him, which in my mind is lulling kids who might see it into a false sense of security about how dangerous it really would be to join up.

If they do leave the movie feeling like "Hey, that wouldn't be so bad to go over there for a while and kick back and have the army pay for my college afterwards", they are going to be in for a big surprise when they find out this war is nothing like the one in the film, and they are probably going to get wounded or worse, and that just makes it seem like it's a sneaky kind of recruitment film to me.

Mind you, I do believe it is still worth it to join up regardless of the danger if our country is in fact in danger and in need of protecting, but THIS war, and our reasons for being in it, are a sham, and definitely not worth dying for.

Seshmeister
11-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Don't really need to. I can see what they are trying to do just from the promotions.

It's funny last week I was reading a thread at www.imdb.com about this movie which was from the exact opposite standpoint.

A guy had started one saying that noone should go see this film because it was a bunch of leftist anti American propoganda.

He hadn't seen it either...:D

Nickdfresh
11-04-2005, 11:45 AM

I agree actually. It's pretty dangerous to review movies before you see it. I heard in the promos this film was made by the producers of AMERICAN BEAUTY. I highly doubt it's mindlessly pro-war. Anyways, I was in the GULF for a short time. I'll let you know how real it is...

BigBadBrian
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM
It's pro-soldier, which is all they need to get new recruits.
It makes it look like being a soldier is easy. Just a bunch of laying around and waiting... ...in this case for nothing much to happen at all. It's a film aimed at trapping the youth of this country into enliswting in my opinion.

In your opinion?

Watch the movie....then make a damned opinion. ;)

:gulp:

Keeyth
11-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Actually, I began this thread talking about the ads for the movie, and they way they seemed to be portraying it... ...but the movie review seems to agree with what I suspected...

...and I'll not waste my money to go see a 2 star movie in the theater.

UGS
11-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I just saw the movie, so my review will be informed.

It does certain parts of the book justice, but most of the parts in the book that point out how shitty being a Marine can be are left out of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Army and Marine recruiters start setting up booths right outside the theatre to snag the wide-eyed 17 and 18 year old boys comming out of the theatres.

Read the book if you want a good memoir.

Warham
11-06-2005, 10:09 AM
If a kid wants to join the military, I would suggest seeking out a Vietnam veteran to talk to before signing on the dotted line.

I had a recruiter ask me if I was interested once. When I told him my dad was a disabled Vietnam veteran, he stopped right there.

Phil theStalker
11-06-2005, 12:01 PM

George W. Bush had full authorization from Congress before going to war with Iraq. George W. Bush had cited 18 UN resolutions that Iraq had not followed among his reasons for going to war. All of those resolutions are in writing, and can be proven to have not been followed by Iraq. It was perfectly legal. Warham,

When I read your shit on quiet, calm autumn Sundays like this, I wonder about how your false statements lend themselves to the turmoil of the future and to the fall of our precious way of life.

You suppose the U.S. is the army of the UN. I've said enough right there to shoot down your whole thesis for the U.S. going to war in Iraq.

Would it be too daring of me to ask you to produce the formal consent language in writing, or declaration of war documents the UN used for granting the U.S. crystal clear United Nations authorization and permission and backing to go to war in Iraq? Or as you say it, the UN going to war in Iraq. Can you produce the UN declaration of war?

No, you can't.

You're a fool and a liar. And I'm saying so right here for the whole world to see it. You are a liar. Produce your UN authorization documents giving permission to invade Iraq, a nation that is another UN member or...STFU.

You and your kind can't do anything except make the world a more worse place than it already is while also bringing down my country in your process. You are not going to get your superficially rationalized way. You are dangerous.

I was daring, and I'm still daring you.

Listen son, when your perfectly legal war comes to America your tongue and your mind set will not afford your survival. And I mean that in a nice way. I'm "giving you the good word".

Please wise up, kiddo.

I mean that very sincerely, and to all of Warham's buddies, t2oo.;)

It's later th...

:spank:

IT'S LATER THAN YOU...

Nitro Express
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Just go rent Full Metal Jacket. No other movie can beat the bootcamp screaming and if you want to see the typical mediocre battle scenes, watch the second half of Full Metal Jacket. Jarhead sounds predictably boring as hell. The movie will soon be forgotten. We still remember Apocalyps Now after all these years. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Heck, Dave even borrowed that one for a song.

Phil theStalker
11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
If a kid wants to join the military, I would suggest seeking out a Vietnam veteran to talk to before signing on the dotted line.

I had a recruiter ask me if I was interested once. When I told him my dad was a disabled Vietnam veteran, he stopped right there.
Warham,

You promote war and you run like a coward from recruiters.

What kind of a madman are you?

WARHAM
MUSICIAN OR MADMAN?<marquee direction=left>

Phil theStalker
11-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Just go rent Full Metal Jacket. No other movie can beat the bootcamp screaming and if you want to see the typical mediocre battle scenes, watch the second half of Full Metal Jacket. Jarhead sounds predictably boring as hell. The movie will soon be forgotten. We still remember Apocalyps Now after all these years. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Heck, Dave even borrowed that one for a song.
The Thin Red Line is close enough.

Keeyth
11-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by UGS
I just saw the movie, so my review will be informed.

It does certain parts of the book justice, but most of the parts in the book that point out how shitty being a Marine can be are left out of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Army and Marine recruiters start setting up booths right outside the theatre to snag the wide-eyed 17 and 18 year old boys comming out of the theatres.

Read the book if you want a good memoir.

So you're saying my suspicions are correct in your opinion?

UGS
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
So you're saying my suspicions are correct in your opinion?

For the most part, yes. It's unfortunate that the movie missed the point of the book, IMO. . . .the movie never shows the main character w/ the barrel of an M16 in his mouth, nor does it show how fucked up he and his fellow marines are after leaving the corps.