PDA

View Full Version : Favourite DOORS Album

Shaun Ponsonby
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
One of the most consistently great bands (in a short space of time) ever. But, what is their greatest album?

Golden AWe
10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
The first album is their strongest album, as a full album...they used so little time to make some of the follow-ups...but I do like WAITING FOR THE SUN and L.A. WOMAN almost as much...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I voted for "LA Woman", the first one I bought in 1989. But I nearly chose "Morrison Hotel" though.
Back in the 90s with my first band we always opened with "Roadhouse Blues"... Good ole times... I sang and did the harmonica parts. :)
:cool:

Mr. Vengeance
10-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Morrison Hotel. There are so many reasons to choose it, but Peace Frog is the major one.

Anonymous
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
This is VERY difficult for me...The Doors were my favorite band for a long, long time, when I was a kid. The reason they're not my favorite band anymore is that I basically wore out a couple of tapes, listened constantly to a couple of their albums my uncle had in vynil, and bought their entire discography in CD finally breaking down when I got their box set, although at one point I did know the entire content of the faorementioned box set by heart. You could say I overdosed them. For many, many years. My favorite album changed loads of times over the years, but nowadays the album I find myself listening to more often, even if it's only for a couple of tracks is Morrison Hotel, so I'll just pick that one.

Cheers! :bottle:

jojo2371
10-29-2005, 12:36 AM
morrison hotel ! plus it was mentioned in a very funny kids in the hall skit !!

Mr Badguy
10-29-2005, 06:49 AM
When the music`s over, turn out the lights.

As Hitler himself once said.

Rikk
10-29-2005, 08:48 AM
L.A. WOMAN. Easily my favorite. Funny...when I first got into the band, it was my least-favorite. Now I think it's a brilliant album...and a sad one.

I was at a house party last night, and going through the host's CDs, I found some Doors stuff. It was great to put on the first album and see all these people go, "Cool! Great band!" Good to know people still have good taste.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Back in the 90s with my first band we always opened with "Roadhouse Blues"... Good ole times... I sang and did the harmonica parts. :)
:cool:

Possibly the best line in rock 'n' roll history

"Well, I woke up this mornin' an' I got myself a beer
I woke up this mornin' an' I got myself a beer
The future's uncertain an' the end is always near"

Let it roll, baby, roll...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Possibly the best line in rock 'n' roll history

"Well, I woke up this mornin' an' I got myself a beer
I woke up this mornin' an' I got myself a beer
The future's uncertain an' the end is always near"

Let it roll, baby, roll...

:) Never ever got rid of it!

The Doors had a couple of bass players on "Morrison Hotel", as they did on "LA Woman". I love the whole "6-pack" but the last two make it even a bit more IMO... Jim's voice became really huge on those two records, and it reached a tremendous summit on "LA Woman".

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Waiting For The Sun...does it for me!

loss of fools
10-29-2005, 01:58 PM
tough as i think every single album and song by the doors is great even the soft parade which is often over looked but the songs are incredible especially wishful sinful. but my fav doors album is proberly there debut closly followed by waiting for the sun, the reason i say there debut is mainly because of soul kitchen and take it as it comes, both incredible songs.

Mezro
10-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Mezro...I make happy meat pies each time I listen to the Soft Parade...

Mr. Vengeance
10-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
:) Never ever got rid of it!

The Doors had a couple of bass players on "Morrison Hotel", as they did on "LA Woman". I love the whole "6-pack" but the last two make it even a bit more IMO... Jim's voice became really huge on those two records, and it reached a tremendous summit on "LA Woman".

I really like LA Woman ( I like all the Doors albums) but I have always thought Jim's voice was just about shot on that album. The songs are killer, but you can tell the effects of booze are killing the guy's voice. The smoothness is gone. But he certainly uses his "new" voice well in songs like LA Woman, Crawling King Snake, The Wasp, Been Down So Long. His smothness has turned into a growl.

PHOENIX
10-29-2005, 06:18 PM
All of them are great. Coolest band of the 60's!

DrMaddVibe
10-29-2005, 06:27 PM
70's...whatever

Terry
10-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Totally dig the first two and the last two (talking the original 6 released while Jimbo was still alive...don't really think of subsequent ones as Doors albums).

Am not saying Waiting For The Sun and the Soft Parade sucked by any means, but tend to listen to those less and less as the years wear on.

Probably the first (The Doors) and the last (LA Woman) are my faves. If I had to choose between them, maybe the first album by a cunt hair, but then I'd have to give up Crawling King Snake...and that won't do.

Can`t drive 55
11-01-2005, 10:55 AM
strange days is my tops.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Wow-its another alias.

Has anybody seen The Doors of the 21st Century (or Riders on the Storm...whatever they are called now)?

loss of fools
11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow-its another alias.

Has anybody seen The Doors of the 21st Century (or Riders on the Storm...whatever they are called now)?

nah im always a little worried about going to see them cause being such a huge fan its got to be werid without jim.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Hullo, loss of fools-where've ya been?

From what I've seen on the "LA Woman Live" DVD, Ian Astbury is doing alright.

Apparently they are going to make a studio album-that'll be interesting to hear.

loss of fools
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Hullo, loss of fools-where've ya been?

From what I've seen on the "LA Woman Live" DVD, Ian Astbury is doing alright.

Apparently they are going to make a studio album-that'll be interesting to hear.

hay mate just been real busy taking some time out. good to be back at the army though. studio album could be intesting, see what ray and the others have got left in them.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Indeed...

Bootyac
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Morrison..I think is the best rock frontman ever..Diamond Dave is 2nd.

I am a huge Morrison fan (I have a tat of Morrison asmf)and I voted for The Doors first album.

What a groundbreaking album that was.

"You men eat your dinner,eat your pork and beans,I eat more chicken than any mans ever seen"