PDA

View Full Version : Lowest rated World Series ever

Bob_R
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
World Series Is Lowest-Rated Ever
Thu Oct 27, 10:44 PM

NEW YORK - The Chicago White Sox's first world championship in 88 years was also the lowest-rated World Series ever.

Chicago's four-game sweep of the Houston Astros averaged an 11.1 national rating with a 19 share on Fox. That's down about 7 percent from the previous low, an 11.9 with a 20 share for the 2002 World Series between the Anaheim Angels and the San Francisco Giants.

While the 2002 World Series, which went seven games, rated higher overall, it was only averaging an 11.0 through four games.

This year was a drop of almost 30 percent from last year's series, in which the Boston Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals for their first title in 86 years. That had a 15.8 rating with a 25 share.

Wednesday night's 1-0 Chicago win had a 13.0 preliminary national rating with a 21 share. It was the highest-rated prime-time show on Fox since the final of "American Idol" in May, but still not enough to save the series from being the lowest-rated.

Despite rating so low in comparison to other World Series, the four games of this series were each the highest rated prime-time network programs on their respective nights.

Carmine
10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Shit, I thought the series was great! Each game had drama and excitement.

Warham
10-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I think I watched two innings.

Brett
10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
It was pretty dull.

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
I watched every game...but I'm a baseball nut...

I thought all the games were damn good...

but I can't stand the fucking White Sox...

vheddyrmv8
10-28-2005, 06:45 PM
I can't stand the White Sox either, the games were pretty boring until the end of game 4, pretty much anyone could tell after game 2 that the series was pretty much for the White Sox.

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
...Didnt watch a pitch...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 08:47 PM
It just doesn't make sense...except for Dave's PA Rental who's a Sox fan...

why people don't watch these series' games...

you might as well be picketing in front of Selsuck's office with signs that say...let the Big Market squads have all the money...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I would like to think of myself as a nut as well, but realistically, outside of the two markets, can you blame anyone else if they don't give a shit ??

I mean, think about it, the media doesn't give a fuck about anyone else in baseball unless they're in Boston or New York...

You see predominantly Yankees/Red Sox coverage on all of the major networks... Those two teams playing each other has a national audience in the majority of their games....

Ever watch Sportscenter when they're playing each other ?? At least the first 10 minutes of their broadcast, quite often more.... That's a helluva lot of air time...

And yes, you guys don't want to hear it, but because MLB refuses to get a decent economic structure for it's teams, this will NEVER get any better....

And it really tears me up, because I've played baseball and/or softball for 35 years...

Baseball is now my #3 sport....

I can have a baseball game on now, and do some work in my office upstairs in my house.... I don't need to be watching intently anymore, 'cause it just ain't worth it anymore....

But if I'm watching a football game or hockey game, there is nothing else that I will be doing....

And that's sad....

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Let's see who you blamed for not watching baseball in that post...

1. the media not giving a fuck (so you let the media lead you)

2. the economic structure (well...I'm not sure where the White Sox and the Astros stand...but I know the Astros aren't in the top half...and the Sox...if they are above it...aren't by much)...

If you are blaming the economic structure and the media for what you are watching...

then you would have stopped watching hockey 10 years ago...

because the game sucked ass...the media coverage was all Detroit and Colorado...with some New Jersey sprinkled in there...(if you call whatever the NHL airplay they got media coverage)...and the economic structure was skewed...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 09:14 PM
I won't disagree with you on hockey's structure in the past...

But they bit the bullet, and now they've got their structure, would you not agree ??

That's something MLB, nor it's owners, will never do...

So yeah, as a fan of a team who doesn't have a chance from day #1 of spring training, it's finally caught up to me...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:19 PM
You not having a chance from day 1...has more to do with your ownership group...and admin and manager decisions than it does with your salary structure...

teams prove year after year after year that you don't need a billion dollar payroll to do well...

They lost Bonds to a mega deal...and haven't had a player even close to that since...

that's poor farm management...period...

Giles was above average...slightly...Kendall the same...

they've been run by idiots...

and when that happens...you can't get good players to come to your team to play...

Cleveland is in the same exact kind of market...

and have been in contention for 8 out of the past 11 years...and will be better next year...

they have enough to sustain a 5 year run now...before they lose the bulk of their team to large market teams...

good management...wins...period...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Okay VA...so you withstood a shit team that threatens to leave yearly...

a player in Lemieux who is injured half the time...and couldn't enjoy the prime of his career because of cancer...rules...retiring...and injuries...

a game that had absolutely no media push whatsoever...and when they did...it sucked...

Major markets signing not some of the good players...ALL OF THE GOOD PLAYERS...

and over a year of a lock out...

and you are complaining about baseball?

Yeah...hockey's on the other side of it...but I don't recall you saying anything...ever about you not caring about hockey...lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Like I said, at least when the Pens start training camp, they've had a chance (small one admittedly recently) to make the playoffs...

You know I don't disagree with the management/ownership, etc....

I just find hockey more enjoyable to watch on TV nowadays, that's all...

I'll continue to go to games with my son, no doubt...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm just trying to get you to admit that you don't watch baseball because it bores you...

and because the Pirate management sucks ass...

and less for the money...;)

and the Penguins haven't had a snowball's chance in hell of winning the cup in the past how many years?

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:37 PM
discounting this year...

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
It just doesn't make sense...except for Dave's PA Rental who's a Sox fan...

why people don't watch these series' games...

you might as well be picketing in front of Selsuck's office with signs that say...let the Big Market squads have all the money...

Dude, you are kind of coming across as a 'You're not a real baseball fan if you didnt watch the World Series' kind of person here...

(from what ive heard and seen on Sports Center) The games were not that exciting. There was the 14 inning game (which by the way, ESPN ran a poll asking if people were awake for the end...something like 20% answered 'yes'). Big deal. Ozzie didnt do anything insane, the pitching was good, MLB made Houston close the roof...that's about it.

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Gee...ESPN said the series wasn't exciting?

OF COURSE THEY DID...

Just like they enjoy sucking off Mike Vick...

they enjoy shambling any team that doesn't have a payroll on the North side of 100 million...

Was I riveted to my seat for this series? No more or no less than that BORING FUCKING SERIES LAST YEAR!

But of course...a moderately big market team won...and gee...who was there sucking off the "we aren't losers anymore" mentality...the Peter Gammons led ESPN crew...

no offense Rental...it's not that I'm ripping on you or the Red Sox...

but had the Red Sox been involved in this series...and the games would have been identical...what do you think ESPN would have been saying then?

let's go back...

11-9

6-2

4-1

3-0

Yeah...that was fucking riveting...

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree about last years WS...Game 1 was it. When the Cards tied it at 9-9 in the top of the 8th, I got seriously depressed. "Here we fucking go again"...and ill bet MILLIONS of people laughed and said 'loser Red Sox...' but when Bellhorn hit that two-run shot in the bottom of the eighth, THAT was exciting...

And that was it. If you werent a Red Sox fan. I can see that.

Watch how friggin sappy-eyed Gammons gets if/when Cleveland wins it all, even if all the games are 3-2...

redblkwht
10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Great post pojo, I did laugh at
the ESPN blow Mike Vicks dick statement..
Totally true.

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:04 PM
So if you bitch about the money structure outside of Boston or New York...and don't watch any of the other teams because it's "boring..."

then don't bitch...lmfao...that was my point...

if you think I'm sounding sanctimonious...lmfao...go listen to ESPN...I'm sure they'll agree...:rolleyes:

PS...

Game 1...CWS 5-3...which was a 1 run game throughout...until the 8th...

Game 2...CWS 7-6...which was won in the bottom of the ninth with a Pods dinger...after Houston had tied it in the top of the ninth on some nifty ass baserunning...

Game 3...CWS 7-5...in a 14 inning game...

Game 4...1-0...on a run in the 8th...

yeah...fucking boring...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Oh...Rental...

don't worry...

I know Gammons sucks off the Tribe as well...

do you know the backstory behind that?

During the 90's...you'd have sworn he was a Plain Dealer beat writer...

redblkwht
10-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Bro, Im a cubs fan & hate the White-Sux..
but i watched it cause i dig baseball..
Its like not watching the superbowl to me.
I cant do that..& BTW Im sick
& tired of the same 2 AL
teams every year..

Its like SF & NE..old hat to me.

same teams year in year out
kinda like the phrase

same time, same channel
or fuckit lets eat the same
lunch every fucking day.:rolleyes:

new teams & the underdog ill take every time..

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Was I riveted to my seat for this series? No more or no less than that BORING FUCKING SERIES LAST YEAR!

Actually, im going to call you on this one a little bit.

You CANNOT tell me, in all honesty, that the curiosity factor last year didnt make for a more exciting WS, even if three of the games were boring.

Here are the 'curiosity factors' for this past world series:

1. The White Sox havent won since 1917. And since the Cubs rule Chicago, thats about all the 'true' White Sox fans that there are.

2. That cuddly Roger Clemens...would he win one for his home town?

3. Would Barbara Bush get hit with a foul ball?

4. MLB made Houston close the roof, and Houston was pissed about it.

Did I miss anything?

Here are the 'curiosity factors' that made last years WS WAAAAYYY more exciting:

1. The national fixation on 1918 and The Curse.

2. The comeback from 0-3 against the Yankees...did they shoot their load in the ALCS?

3. What would whiny, self-pitying Red Sox fans DO with themselves if they actually won it all?

4. Schilling's ankle and the bloody sock.

5. Pedro's probable last hurrah with Boston.

6. When would the choke happen? Who would become the next Bill Buckner?

7. How many people would die in the riots around Fenway Park if it went to game 7? (ok, that one was just my mom...)

I think the latter list is more compelling than the former...

redblkwht
10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
1. The White Sox havent won since 1917.
And since the Cubs rule Chicago, thats about all the 'true' White Sox fans that there are.

hek man..shoulda saw all the fucking
bandwagoners that called in sick today for the rally..
talk about koolaid drinking closet white-suxs homos.
fucking stadium never sells out, riots & Umps
get hit at comisky.
today was totally stupid in chi town.:monekyr:

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
1. The White Sox havent won since 1917.
And since the Cubs rule Chicago, thats about all the 'true' White Sox fans that there are.

hek man..shoulda saw all the fucking
bandwagoners that called in sick today for the rally..
talk about koolaid drinking closet white-suxs homos.
fucking stadium never sells out, riots & Umps
get hit at comisky.
today was totally stupid in chi town.:monekyr:

Absolute frauds if you ask me. Just like all the Yankee fans becoming Mets fans in the '80's, then when the Yanks got good again, acting like they never knew there was a team at Shea...

redblkwht
10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
You guys hear the WS deal here?
you buy season tix, you
got a free pair of WS tix..

what a way to get them back in
cause they dont sell themselves..
Idiots.

redblkwht
10-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Later gents..wifes getting pissed
shes packing by herself.

OUT ;)

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:22 PM
thats what happens when you build a stadium next to housing projects because the state will give you crazy tax breaks and other incentives...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm just trying to get you to admit that you don't watch baseball because it bores you...

and because the Pirate management sucks ass...

and less for the money...;)

and the Penguins haven't had a snowball's chance in hell of winning the cup in the past how many years?

The game itself doesn't bore me, like I said, I've been involved in it all my life...

But I don't have the desire anymore watching other teams play, even in the World Series, with how MLB is nowadays, even if I agree with you about the money, management, ownership, all of the above...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

Did I miss anything?

Here are the 'curiosity factors' that made last years WS WAAAAYYY more exciting:

1. The national fixation on 1918 and The Curse.

2. The comeback from 0-3 against the Yankees...did they shoot their load in the ALCS?

3. What would whiny, self-pitying Red Sox fans DO with themselves if they actually won it all?

4. Schilling's ankle and the bloody sock.

5. Pedro's probable last hurrah with Boston.

6. When would the choke happen? Who would become the next Bill Buckner?

7. How many people would die in the riots around Fenway Park if it went to game 7? (ok, that one was just my mom...)

I think the latter list is more compelling than the former...

I'm not saying that the "story" around last year's series wasn't more compelling...no doubt about it...I won't disagree...

BUT THE ACTUAL GAMES...weren't even close.

I did think Boston would get dumped into the Harbor...like that suckass British Tea 200 years ago...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
The game itself doesn't bore me, like I said, I've been involved in it all my life...

But I don't have the desire anymore watching other teams play, even in the World Series, with how MLB is nowadays, even if I agree with you about the money, management, ownership, all of the above...

Don't worry VA...

I know you won't agree with me even though you admit you agree with me...;)...

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm not saying that the "story" around last year's series wasn't more compelling...no doubt about it...I won't disagree...

BUT THE ACTUAL GAMES...weren't even close.

no doubt...how does a team make 4 errors in the first two games of the WS...and win them BOTH?

But didnt Houston get walked like 14 times in one game and not win?

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
no doubt...how does a team make 4 errors in the first two games of the WS...and win them BOTH?

But didnt Houston get walked like 14 times in one game and not win?

That makes the game..."boring?"

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:36 PM
It's clear that I was interested in this years WS...it's just that I wasnt going to invest that amount of time to watch it all...

I think there is also the fact that they start the games too late...that turns alot of non-Houston/Chicago baseball fans off...people gotta work in the morning!

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Chicago didn't have any errors the first 2 games...

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Chicago didn't have any errors the first 2 games...

last year...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:38 PM
They had 3 in game 3...the 14 inning game...

and there were a boatload of walks that game...I think 20 combined between the two teams...

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:39 PM
The Red Sox had 4 errors in games 1 and 2...last year.

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:39 PM
That makes the game..."boring?"

I don't know if they were boring or not! I didnt watch them! ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Do you realize that an entire generation realistically hasn't watched an entire World Series game ??

The last day game in the WS was in 1987...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I absolutely agree that the people running MLB are fucking homos...

obviously...not one of them ever sat around with their kids watching day games...

that's what happens when your commish is from the money side...and not the

"Giamatti side"

Someone who gets picked because they loved the game...

Fay Vincent was an imbecile...but he loved the game...and would probably be doing shit to help the game...

Selig is a cunt...a royal cunt...

there should be 50% day games....

Dave's PA Rental
10-28-2005, 10:54 PM
I had to...

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Well...at least I can say the AL is dominating the Series...