PDA

View Full Version : The Secret Files of the Anti-Hypocrite Squad

BigBadBrian
10-28-2005, 04:20 PM
The Secret Files of the Anti-Hypocrite Squad
A mirror to the Left.

"I will use whatever position I have in order to root out hypocrisy," declared a steel-jawed Democratic National Committee Chair Howard Dean not too long ago on Meet the Press.

This was the culmination of a mounting obsession on the Left with hypocrisy. Now, of course, objections to hypocrisy go back to the bible and a good bit further back than that. And the Left in particular has been upset about hypocrisy since the Freudian Marxists of the Frankfurt School convinced an entire generation of intellectuals that internal contradictions were a sign of bourgeois something-or-other.

But the fixation with hypocrisy has really intensified in recent years. The flap over Bill Bennett's gambling, Rush Limbaugh's drug hassles, and the prominence of the religious right — which most left-wingers consider to be a de facto hypocritical phenomenon — have all contributed to the trend.

Indeed, offense at hypocrisy has become a warrant to be a bit of a jerk. At a fundraiser, Dean even did an impersonation of Limbaugh snorting coke. When asked for a prediction by NBC's Chris Matthews, Maureen Dowd of the New York Times snarked, "I'll predict that the rapture is coming, and you and I, Chris, are going up, and all these hypocritical conservatives who tell people not to do stuff that then they get caught doing are not."

Now, I've written thousands of words on why I don't think hypocrisy is the worst sin imaginable. There's not a good parent in the world who hasn't felt like a hypocrite at one point or another with their kids. Telling your kids not to do certain bad or unwise things you did when you were a kid may feel hypocritical, but telling your children it's O.K. to do wrong out of some craving to be hip or to assuage your own conscience is the most asinine form of vanity I can imagine. Similarly, it's certainly wrong to do drugs, but does giving in to your addiction mean you should also advocate doing drugs for everybody? During the run-up to the Iraq war, how many times did we hear that it was hypocritical for the United States to topple Saddam since we'd worked with him in the 1980s? The upshot seemed to be that it is better to do wrong consistently than do right inconsistently.

All of that said, there's something just plain fun in pointing out hypocrisy. Years ago, when William F. Buckley was asked by Playboy why he took such delight in liberal hypocrisy he responded (I'm quoting from memory), "Who doesn't take delight in things that are delightful?"

Which finally brings me to the point of this column. There's a delightful new book out called Do As I Say (Not As I Do), by Peter Schweizer. And what makes it particularly delightful is that it goes after the anti-hypocrisy jihadists. I may not be obsessed with "rooting out hypocrisy" from American life. But who among us can't have some fun watching the leading anti-hypocrisy crusaders exposed for betraying their core values?

Michael Moore, the biggest mouthpiece of the anti-hypocrite Left, constantly denounces Republicans as racists for opposing affirmative action. Schweizer reports that Moore almost never hires black people. Moore insists, "I don't own a single share of stock." He denounces clever Enron style schemes to conceal wealth and rails against Haliburton as the Mother of All Evils. He told C-Span's Brian Lamb in his best prolier-than-thou voice that he wanted nothing to do with the stock market. "That's the rich man's game."

Well, it turns out Moore's got another game going. As Schweizer reports, Moore told the IRS his home is the headquarters of his tax-free foundation, to which he contributes some of his millions for the write-off. The foundation, in turn, not only bought stock — its holdings are a Who's Who of "greedy" corporations, including Halliburton.

Nancy Pelosi, the House Minority Leader, accepted the Cesar Chavez Award from the United Farm Workers Union in 2003. She constantly spouts about the imperative of hiring union labor. But she contracts out the grape-picking on her own vineyard to non-UFW firms. She's also a part owner of some restaurants and a hotel. No union labor there, either.

MIT Professor Noam Chomsky, who regularly denounces the Pentagon as a "fascist institution" and has mounted a campaign to expel ROTC from his school, has garnered millions in grants from the Pentagon for his linguistics research.

And so on.

Now, none of this means that the lions of the Left are wrong when they say what they say. I grew up in a rent-controlled apartment, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong that rent-control is idiotic. If Howard Dean has really decided to root out hypocrisy anywhere he finds it, he should pick up this book and get to work putting his own house in order.

Link (http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg200510280721.asp)

Hardrock69
10-29-2005, 06:13 PM
There is a grain of truth in that.

The "Conservative Right" seem to be (but not always are) people who portray themsevles as "law-abiding" citizens who are as blameless as "the driven snow" and who somehow are "God's Children" (Christian God only...no Jews or Muslims or anyone else allowed) who can do no wrong, and will all wind up in Heaven someday....

While at the same time they castigate anyone who does not think like them....anyone who actually feels that people should be able to live their lives as they choose (as long as they do not harm others).

They seem to always try to portray themselves as "sensible" people, while at the same time calling people who actually have common sense names, and portraying them as "dangerous".

Yes, it is dangerous to actually think for yourself.

The Government cannot control free-thinking citizens.

And that is something that many Conservatives seem to fear.

Here are some myths propagated by many leading Right-Wing Conservatives in the USA:

1. If you have sex with someone of your own sex, you are Evil & Inferior as a human being.

2. Many conservatives believe that If Liberals call for an irrational and incompetent Conservative President to step down from office, it is because they are "Conservative", not because they are incapable of doing their job

3. If you do not go to a Christian Church and you do not believe 100% in the Christian Fairy Tale, you are somehow evil & inferior.

4. If you do not believe in Unjustified War, you are somehow evil & inferior.

5. A Republican Administration can do no wrong, while a Democratic Administration is ineffective, corrupt, evil and inferior, and can do no right.

6. If you are not white, you are somehow evil & inferior

I need not submit a rebuttal to any of the above myths, as it is quite obvious that they are just that...MYTHS. NOT TRUE.

But that appears in many cases to be the "Party Line" so-called "Conservatives" droolingly worship.

True or not.

Much is true of the "Left" and their name calling as well.

Just try to tell a Christian Conservative "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone", and watch them turn purple with righteous indignation.

I have done it before.

It makes for some great entertainment.

:cool:

I find it funny that BigBadBrian has in his sig:

"The Democratice Party Is A Criminal Enterprise."

while indictments are being handed down against some of the Republicans who have gone to war based on lies, causing us billions of dollars per month, and the untold lives of hundreds of thosands of inoocent people.

Again, the above argument in Brian's Sig is a Fairy Tale.

IF BBB actually believes this, he is a moron. Just as is anyone who believes The Republican Party is a Criminal Enterprise, but not the Democrats.

PHOENIX
10-29-2005, 08:34 PM
:confused:

Seshmeister
10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Now, I've written thousands of words on why I don't think hypocrisy is the worst sin imaginable. There's not a good parent in the world who hasn't felt like a hypocrite at one point or another with their kids. Telling your kids not to do certain bad or unwise things you did when you were a kid may feel hypocritical, but telling your children it's O.K. to do wrong out of some craving to be hip or to assuage your own conscience is the most asinine form of vanity I can imagine. Similarly, it's certainly wrong to do drugs, but does giving in to your addiction mean you should also advocate doing drugs for everybody?

I love this analogy.

So the Republican ruling class are your parents and betters and should be obeyed by you children?

And then one of their kids reads it and posts it on this board.

Well guess what Brian I don't like your Daddy's rules...:)

DrMaddVibe
10-30-2005, 08:06 PM
And I fucked Sesh's sister!

LoungeMachine
10-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
And I fucked Sesh's sister!

Way to raise the bar, Doc......;)

BigBadBrian
10-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I love this analogy.

So the Republican ruling class are your parents and betters and should be obeyed by you children?

And then one of their kids reads it and posts it on this board.

Well guess what Brian I don't like your Daddy's rules...:)

That's really strange, Sesh.

You manage to bring "ruling class" and other phrases like that into your arguments almost every time.

Social structure has nothing to do with teaching your kids to do with what is correct now does it? Or does it? You tell me by what you quoted out of the article and by nonchalantly mentioning the words "ruling class" and Republicans.

:gulp:

Millermoos
10-31-2005, 08:21 AM
But do the kids listen?No...nobody likes to be told what to do. You learn from experience.
Millermoos

BigBadBrian
10-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
There is a grain of truth in that.

The "Conservative Right" seem to be (but not always are) people who portray themsevles as "law-abiding" citizens who are as blameless as "the driven snow" and who somehow are "God's Children" (Christian God only...no Jews or Muslims or anyone else allowed) who can do no wrong, and will all wind up in Heaven someday....

While at the same time they castigate anyone who does not think like them....anyone who actually feels that people should be able to live their lives as they choose (as long as they do not harm others).

They seem to always try to portray themselves as "sensible" people, while at the same time calling people who actually have common sense names, and portraying them as "dangerous".

Yes, it is dangerous to actually think for yourself.

The Government cannot control free-thinking citizens.

And that is something that many Conservatives seem to fear.

Here are some myths propagated by many leading Right-Wing Conservatives in the USA:[quote]

You don't have a damn clue of what conservatives in the USA think. Trust me, you don't. You don't know how they live, you don't know how they work, you don't know how they play and you don't know how they fuck. So shut up with your silly-assed assumptions. :cool:

[quote]
Just try to tell a Christian Conservative "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone", and watch them turn purple with righteous indignation.

I have done it before.

No you have not. If you had done this before, any real Christian would have agreed with you. Christians are sinners just like anyone else. That's why they go to church. However, they recognize the difference in themselves. You are lying about this story. As usual.

I find it funny that BigBadBrian has in his sig:

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/105963.gif

while indictments are being handed down against some of the Republicans who have gone to war based on lies, causing us billions of dollars per month, and the untold lives of hundreds of thosands of inoocent people.

Again, the above marquee in Brian's Sig is quite funny. :D

IF BBB actually believes this, he is a genius.

Thanks dude, glad you like it. ;) :D

Hardrock69
10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
No you have not. If you had done this before, any real Christian would have agreed with you. Christians are sinners just like anyone else. That's why they go to church. However, they recognize the difference in themselves. You are lying about this story. As usual.

Oh? You have not lived my life, nor experienced the things I have.

If you do not believe it, that is fine. Just do not accuse someone of lying simply because you do not like what is being said.
:rolleyes:

Not all Christians react as you think they are supposed to. That is obvious.

But I won't apologize if that is too difficult a concept for you to understand. I know that you miss a lot by living in NeoCon Fantasy Land.

And no, the scrolling marquee is stupid.

Phil theStalker
10-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Everyboody is a crime enturdprise..

even mmme..

i own philthestalker.com..

hitchWORLD1969 is aboot t2o HIT da LIGHT waves aff da Age aff AQUAREEOHS, BAYEE..

fiber opticallyously, obviouslyouslus!

:spank:

Seshmeister
10-31-2005, 10:20 AM
That's really strange, Sesh.

You manage to bring "ruling class" and other phrases like that into your arguments almost every time.

Social structure has nothing to do with teaching your kids to do with what is correct now does it? Or does it? You tell me by what you quoted out of the article and by nonchalantly mentioning the words "ruling class" and Republicans.

:gulp:

What's cuntfusing you?

The guy gives the example of how you know best for your kids even when you're being hypocritical to validate his argument that there is nothing wrong with a politician being a hypocrite.

If that's the example then that makes the politician the parent and the electorate the children.

The writer is either snobbish and arrogant or else just stupid.

Probably both.

Hardrock69
10-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Are you sure the writer is not BigBadBrucie?

BigBadBrian
10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
What's cuntfusing you?

The guy gives the example of how you know best for your kids even when you're being hypocritical to validate his argument that there is nothing wrong with a politician being a hypocrite.

If that's the example then that makes the politician the parent and the electorate the children.

The writer is either snobbish and arrogant or else just stupid.

Probably both.

No, the writer makes it clear that there is nothing at all wrong with a parent being a hypocriten by telling their kids right from wrong, even if they did that particular act themselves.

How in the world did you get "Republican", "ruling class', and "politician" into the mix?

Hmm?