PDA

View Full Version : Manny requests trade...again...

POJO_Risin
10-29-2005, 08:54 PM
He's a cunt...

Updated: Oct. 29, 2005, 8:04 PM ET
Report: Ramirez wants Red Sox to trade himESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez is happy in Boston. He wants to be traded. He's content with the Red Sox. He wants to be traded.

One of Ramirez's representatives told Red Sox owner John Henry that Ramirez again wanted to be sent to a different team and wouldn't report to spring training unless his wish to be dealt is met, a team source told The Boston Globe.

Ramirez has the veteran right -- he is a 10-5 player, meaning 10 years of continuous major league service, five with the same club -- to block a trade to a team he doesn't want to join, and Gene Mato said the slugger might change his mind during the process, The Globe reported.

General manager Theo Epstein declined to comment on the reported trade request.

"Manny, his representatives, and the Red Sox have open lines of communication and will throughout the offseason," Epstein told The Globe. "I think we all want whatever is in the club's best interest and Manny's best interest."

Ramirez also asked to be traded in July, and has asked for such a move before, Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino said at the time.

Henry and Ramirez were scheduled to meet Wednesday, The Globe reported, but that meeting was delayed because of Hurricane Wilma.

Ramirez is due $57 million from his $160 million, eight-year contract: $19 million in 2006, $18 million in 2007 and $20 million in 2008. The deal also includes team options for two additional seasons at $20 million annually.

"Because of the size of his contract, obviously, it's hard," Lucchino said in July. "There aren't a lot of clubs that are going to be interested, but it depends how little you're willing to take in return with respect to trades. I'm not talking about Manny specifically, although it certainly applies to him."

A club might want to make a deal if it asks the Red Sox to pay 95 percent of Ramirez's salary, "but that's not a particularly intelligent thing for us to do," Lucchino said.

He also said this is the fourth straight season in which Ramirez has requested a trade "and our general response was, 'it's that time of year' and we'll explore it as we explore other trades."

POJO_Risin
10-29-2005, 08:55 PM
MRam for CBelt?

Updated: Oct. 21, 2005, 11:06 AM ET
Anaheim tops Ramirez's trade listBy Peter Gammons
Special to ESPN.com
The Red Sox did throw out the idea of a Manny Ramirez-Carlos Beltran deal in July, but it was on the weekend of the trading deadline after Ramirez had asked to be traded.

The Mets rejected the idea, and GMs Omar Minaya and Theo Epstein tried to construct two-, three-, and four-way deals -- none of which worked. "The ironic thing is that by the end of the weekend, Manny said he would not go to the Mets," says Ramirez's agent Greg Genske of Legacy Sports Group. "I know people have speculated about Pedro [Martinez] and his influence, but Manny does not want to be traded to the Mets."

And, anyway, the Red Sox say they have not offered the superstar outfielder to the Mets -- or anyone -- as of now. Genske plans to meet with Boston owner John Henry next week in Florida, and after that meeting some determination will be made on whether Ramirez will repeat his July request to be traded, or the team will see what it can get on the market, with the knowledge that as a 10-5 player, Ramirez can veto any deal.

If Ramirez does request to be traded, Genske says "his preference would be Anaheim. He also still loves Cleveland, and would go back there." Another possibility would be Arizona, if Boston would take some of the contracts the Diamondbacks are trying to move, including Troy Glaus and Luis Gonzalez. Texas was in play at the deadline.

The problem is that if the Red Sox baseball operations had their way, the only way Ramirez would be traded is if they could restock themselves with a young corner outfielder, a center fielder and pitching. Their feeling is that with so much money floating around the industry and so few quality free agents, Ramirez's contract -- three years remaining at a present-day value of slightly more than $17 million -- will not be that bad come spring training. Also, while Ramirez is unpredictable and sometimes had hustle lapses, he has played 150 or more games three straight seasons, bettered in Red Sox history by only Frank Malzone (7), Carl Yastrzemski (5), Jim Rice and Dwight Evans (4 each).

POJO_Risin
10-29-2005, 08:57 PM
If Cleveland trades for this fucking cancer...

I'm officially done with them...

unless they get Boston to ante up half that contract...

and don't have to give up a current player worth a damn...

Give them Brandon Phillips...and a couple of long-haired whores...

PenguinsKID1986
10-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Red Sox will sign Paul Konerko , we don't need Many. Trade him for some young prospects, mostly pitching well give him away. We tried before but no one would take him.

twonabomber
10-30-2005, 06:35 AM
no way Dolan spends big money on Ramirez.

Bob_R
10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Manny Ramirez is a jackass. Moody playballer. A cancer to any team that acquires him.

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Plenty wanted him...plenty...

just couldn't get it done because of the numbers...

and twona...no...Dolan won't spend the money on him...that's why the deal would have to involve the Red Sox taking a substantial piece of that shitball contract...which won't happen...because Cleveland would never give substantial players for MRam to get the Sox to pay some of that deal...

MRam will end up in Texas...maybe Anaheim...we'll just have to see...

I could see maybe a MRam for Chone Figgins, MacPherson (or that other 3B/1B/DH prospect, who's name escapes me right now) and a pitcher...I know that Boston has shown interest in Washburn in the past...

but we'll see...

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 10:34 AM
And you are kidding if you think that the Sox will "GIVE MANNY AWAY..."

Yeah...okay...funny how quick people forget just how much a guy does for a team.

Do the Sox win a series without Manny...

fuck

no...

so go ahead and talk all your smack about the guy...

but without Manny...that team isn't even IN the Series last year...

that is fucking all...

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Manny Ramirez is a jackass. Moody playballer. A cancer to any team that acquires him.

So back several years ago when the players signed a new CBA (00..or '01?) the Red Sox were about to leave on a road trip somewhere. The news stations were all at Fenway Park with the cameras showing the team bus. If the bus left, then a new CBA had been reached, and no strike.

I lived about 3 miles from Fenway at the time, and had the day off, so I decided to go down there to get a first-hand look and listen to what was going on.

I get there and there is a crowd around the bus and the players entrance...players were getting on the bus...a deal must have been made...

So a half hour goes by and the ENTIRE TEAM is on the bus...but its not pulling out...I see Jason Varitek sitting by a window, staring out like he's going to kindergarten...there's front office people standing around outside, equipment guys, grounds crew...a rumor starts to spread that they were waiting for Manny to show up!

A few more minutes go by, and all of a sudden this gold Mercedes tricked-out sports car turns from Ipswich Street onto Yawkee way...It was Manny finally showing up!

The best part was seeing and overhearing a couple of the grounds crew kids from Dorchester or Mattapan rolling their eyes at Manny's arrival and making jokes about what a jackass he is...

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 10:47 AM
And I still want him on my team...

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 10:52 AM
lmfao...good story bro...

Gold Mercedes...

He played for the Indians for 5 years before he left...maybe 6...

and the first time I heard him talk was this year...after the trade debacle...

the guy is a weird ass recluse...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
And you are kidding if you think that the Sox will "GIVE MANNY AWAY..."

Actually, they've tried at least once before to "give him away" by putting him on waivers....

Right ???

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Actually, they've tried at least once before to "give him away" by putting him on waivers....

Right ???

yes they did...and no takers.

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Wait...wait...wait...

Waivers is overrated...

nearly every player with big contracts are put on waivers...this year...including Randy Johnson...Mussina...ARod...

the list goes on and on...

sometimes a player gets claimed..and you just pull that player off waivers...

sometimes the guy doesn't get claimed...because if you say you want him...and the other team says fine...you're stuck paying up the asshole for him...

Manny was put on waivers to try and work a deal out if they needed to. He wasn't claimed because several teams said they'd block it...

it's that simple...

don't make a big deal out of a rule that seems to be what it isn't...

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Wait...wait...wait...

Waivers is overrated...

nearly every player with big contracts are put on waivers...this year...including Randy Johnson...Mussina...ARod...

the list goes on and on...

sometimes a player gets claimed..and you just pull that player off waivers...

sometimes the guy doesn't get claimed...because if you say you want him...and the other team says fine...you're stuck paying up the asshole for him...

Manny was put on waivers to try and work a deal out if they needed to. He wasn't claimed because several teams said they'd block it...

it's that simple...

don't make a big deal out of a rule that seems to be what it isn't...

No, Pojo...this one was different. Manny was put on 'irrevokable' waivers...the Sox couldnt pull him back. If any team wanted to assume his contract, they could have had him...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah, it's a rigged system....

What else would you expect from the looney bin of MLB....

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Ramirez placed on waivers
Move could signal end of his career in Boston
By Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff, 10/30/2003

Offered to the first taker: Top-level major league hitter. Available with power, but has behavioral baggage. Asking price: $104 million.

In a surprising move, the Red Sox put Manny Ramirez up for grabs, placing the All-Star outfielder on irrevocable waivers last night, according to the websites of The New York Times and the Boston Herald. That means any team can have him if it is willing to pay his salary. Ramirez has five years and $104 million remaining on a $160 million, eight-year contract, and is scheduled to make $20.5 million in 2004.

"The waiver procedure is a confidential procedure, and we're prohibited from commenting on it. We're not permitted to say whether a player is on or is not on waivers," Red Sox spokesman Kevin Shea told the Associated Press.

Ramirez's agent, Jeff Moorad, did not return calls to the AP.

If a team, including the free-spending Yankees, claims Ramirez by tomorrow's 2 p.m. deadline, Ramirez's time with the Sox will be up. Unlike regular waivers, the Red Sox cannot pull Ramirez back if he is claimed. If he is not claimed, Boston will keep him, but can try to trade him.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-30-2005, 11:11 AM
[[ In my best Carson voice... ]]

I did not know that...

Dave's PA Rental
10-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Im out for a while...gotta get my hair cut. Be back for the 1:00 games...I have a test to correct today...why do I give so many essay questions?????

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 11:15 AM
nor did I...

Well...how many teams can take on 17 million dollars a year...I don't even think the Yankees could do that...without dumping some payroll...

it's still not as simple as...

there weren't any takers...

POJO_Risin
10-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
Im out for a while...gotta get my hair cut. Be back for the 1:00 games...I have a test to correct today...why do I give so many essay questions?????

Yeah you dumbass...

imagine...someone trying to find out if they REALLY know the answer...lmfao...

as opposed to guessing + or o...

or making patterns with ABCD...

I agree though...a pain in the ass...