PDA

View Full Version : Any of you pricks got the new Asterix book?

Anonymous
10-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Just got it today. I cunt wait to read it. Wait a minute... why am I posting? I should be reading RITE NOW! And that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

In the meantime, post your thoughts, peeps.

Cheers! :bottle:

DavidLeeNatra
10-30-2005, 06:10 AM
it's shit...asterix became shittier and shittier with goscinny passing away...uderzo alone is not able to come up with a great story, it was the collaboration of the two that made the asterix books so great...

I happened to meet uderzo once when they presented one of the old books in my local dialect. I was hired to read from it along with some other readers and got some of my books signed. uderzo is a very funny and nice man...for a french :D

Rikk
10-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm gonna check this out. I think I only have the first two Uderzo-only books, and I remember them being pretty good (though not at the level of some of the best of the original stuff). Was MANSIONS OF THE GODS the two of them or just Uderzo? I really liked that one.

Anonymous
10-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
it's shit...asterix became shittier and shittier with goscinny passing away...uderzo alone is not able to come up with a great story, it was the collaboration of the two that made the asterix books so great...

I happened to meet uderzo once when they presented one of the old books in my local dialect. I was hired to read from it along with some other readers and got some of my books signed. uderzo is a very funny and nice man...for a french :D

Yeah, it isn't that grate... Uderzo's not so good at writing stories as Goscinny. Still, the first three he did by himself were actually pretty good. After the '1001 nights of Asterix', his fourth, he started losing it. It's still entertaining, at least.

Hey, not all French are bad... but he WAS Belgian, wasn't he? :rofl:

Damn, I hope Jerôme - or any other French on the site - don't take these jabs too seriously. :D

Jérôme Frenchise
10-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Ahem... :mad:

Anonymous
10-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I'm gonna check this out. I think I only have the first two Uderzo-only books, and I remember them being pretty good (though not at the level of some of the best of the original stuff). Was MANSIONS OF THE GODS the two of them or just Uderzo? I really liked that one.

You're right, the first two Uderzo did by himself were pretty good, as I've stated on my previous post. 'Mansions of the Gods' was still by both of 'em, and being that it was released just before my favorite (The Laurels of Caesar, dunno if this is the English title but it's somewhere along those lines) we can agree that was Asterix's golden period. Goscinny went too soon... I actually do smile at some of his jokes in Asterix and Lucky Luke. A rare event when I'm reading comics.

Anonymous
10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Ahem... :mad:

Erm...

Natra started it!!!

*runs away*

Jérôme Frenchise
10-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Kidding! :D

Uderzo is Belgian, like most of "BD" ("bande dessinée", not quite the same as comics) makers. The albums he made on his own suck as compared to those Goscinny wrote... like "Mansions of the Gods".
There was a discussion about the new album on a French forum last week, and everybody safe a couple of posters were really pissed.

Aliens from space... The title of the thread was "This time the skies have fallen upon Uderzo's head!". Very clear. They said the humour was no good, the text was no good, the scenario was no good, in a word: a wreckage!
I've stopped reading Asterix after the second album Uderzo made by himself. It's said that Uderzo no longer has access to the bottom of Goscinny's drawers, and you can see it when you open his last "BDs".
Anyway, I dig reading the old albums again now and then, like the whole collection in a row for a few weeks. It's really refreshing, a bit simple but often hilarious. By Toutatis!:cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
10-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
'Mansions of the Gods' was still by both of 'em, and being that it was released just before my favorite (The Laurels of Caesar, dunno if this is the English title but it's somewhere along those lines) we can agree that was Asterix's golden period.

ABTOLUSELY! ;)

"Err... Give me some more of this wine, Obelix!"

Anonymous
10-30-2005, 09:44 PM
ABTOLUSELY! ;)

"Err... Give me some more of this wine, Obelix!"

ABTOLUSELY!!! :rofl:

CheerS! :bottle:

Jérôme Frenchise
10-30-2005, 09:50 PM
My fave is the third album "Asterix and the Goths", but I'm afraid all the playing on words has been a headache for translators.
Up to "In Belgium", it's always great fun.

FARPAITEMENT!

:bottle:

Jérôme Frenchise
10-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Here's a link to a webpage of a site that deals with the new Asterix:

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://asterix.co.nz/take_a_look/goths/pages/page3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://asterix.co.nz/take_a_look/goths/pages/page3.htm&h=711&w=577&sz=206&tbnid=wEPIogbwyWMJ:&tbnh=138&tbnw=111&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAsterix%2BGoths%2Bpages%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Click on "The books" on the left, then on "The next Asterix book", then on "The Falling Sky". Quite interesting IMO, as long as you are into it.:cool:

Uderzo gave the chief of the aliens the name of "Hubs", the anagram of you know who... :rolleyes: :D
The main reaction to this new book is consternation, but I think the best thing to do is read it myself, as most people's opinion does not always rule, does it? ;)

DavidLeeNatra
10-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Erm...

Natra started it!!!

*runs away*

you fucking coward ! ! ! :D

cheers to jerome...lol...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM

:D Cheers to you DLN! Ha! Ha!

What do you think of "Asterix and the Goths"? It's my fave, the most hilarious IMO.:p

Jérôme Frenchise
10-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Here is what you can read (I edited a few paragraphs) about "Asterix and the Falling Sky" @ Asterix NZ:

Plot

"The Gauls have only one fear: that the sky may fall on their heads tomorrow. But tomorrow never comes, says Chief Vitalstatistix. Or does it? It looks as if it's come at last for Asterix, Obelix and the other villagers."

A strange phenomena has taken over the village - everyone except Asterix, Obelix and Getafix have been frozen. The cause is soon found to be a strange Alien called "Toon" from the star "Tadsilweny", who has come to warn the village that their enemies the "Nagmas" have come to take the Magic Potion. Asterix is caught up in the struggle between the two alien races and must ensure the safety of the the Magic Potion and Village.

Background

English Title: Asterix and the Falling Sky
French Title: Le Ciel lui Tombe sur la Tete
Asterix Book Number: 33 (Note: There has been some confusion over this. Although not marked on the spine, Asterix and the Class Act is regarded as No. 32)
First Published: 2005
Written and Illustrated By: Albert Uderzo
Translated By: Anthea Bell and Derick Hockridge

Asterix and the Falling Sky is arguably the most controversial Asterix book in the series. Many fans have said it goes against the spirit of the books and have been very vocal in their disappointment of the book. Meanwhile, Falling Sky made headlines with its (supposed) attacks on America and President George Bush.

The reason why so many fans have rejected this book is because it is completely different to other books and veers off into a "fantasy" land. To get an idea of the negativity around the book, take a look at the ratings people have given it at this French Website. Take a look at my Review further down for my thoughts on the issue.

The Media has been most interested about the political aspects of the book, namely the Alien race from "Tadsilweny" (anagram of Walt Disney) and their leader "Hubs" (Anagram of Bush).

Albert Uderzo (who has been writing and illustrating the series after the death of the original writer Goscinny) has said "What the Americans are going through today with Bush got me into it" and adds he "had fun caricaturing certain things which have come from America. Even I am a bit surprised, because Goscinny and I never got Asterix involved in politics. But here there is a slight political side to it"
Albert Uderzo

In France, the traditional Franco-Belgian comics like Asterix have lost popularity for the Japanese form of comics - Mangas, just like American comics proved stiff competition when Asterix was originally published. This was the reason for incorporating both of these comic styles in the form of the competing Aliens, but as the book shows it is the Gauls (or rather the Franco-Belgian comics) that win in the end.

Uderzo took 15 months to come up with the story, hoping it would be "exceptional in every way".

He dedicated the book to Walt Disney, who "allowed some of his colleagues, myself included, to fall into a cauldron of potion which he alone knew the Magic Speaker". He also dedicates it to his older brother Bruno who had died the previous year and had first taken him to a Parisian Publisher.

Despite the backlash from fans, the book has sold remarkably well, and with its initial run of eight million copies, Asterix 33 may well have broken the record for a first printing of any comic book ever published. In France the 3.2 million copies easily surpassed the release of Harry Potter 6's 1.2 million.

Asterix and the Falling Sky's cover is very similar to the first Asterix book - Asterix the Gaul's cover. You both have the grass and the sky, you both have Obelix with his menhir in the corner, and you both have Asterix in the center punching something in almost the exact same body position.

This has led to speculation that Asterix and the Falling Sky is intended to be the "Book end" for the series. Albert Uderzo explained his reasoning for Asterix 33's cover as thus: "This album was the first, the character was not really well built then. I always said that if I could redo the first album, I would, but the answer has always been it wouldn't please the readers, they prefer to keep their first feelings".

However, in the same press conference he rejected rumours it wouldn't be his last - "I enjoy what I'm doing despite my age and as long as I can find a good idea I will make another album". You can find out more about a potential Asterix 34 here.

Interesting to note that Falling's Sky cover has nothing to do with the book. Lightning does not appear in the story, let alone does Asterix punch it away!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notable Characters

Toon: Also known as "Shrinking Violet", this native of Tadsilweny has come in his great star-like ship to confiscate the Gaul's Magic Potion to ensure Universal peace. He befriends the Gauls, and helps save them from the Nagmas - the Tasilwenyan's sworn enemies.
Superclone: The Security men of the Tasilwenyans, designed to keep the peace. The superclones are able to fly thanks to Antigravity (if they do their sums right) and have great strength (but not enough when up against Obelix).
Nagmas: This Nagmas (not named) has arrived in Gaul from the planet Gnama to take the Magic Potion so they can finally defeat their enemies the Tadsilwenyans. This Nagmas has the power to make things turn invisible, and fights using "Karate". He attempts to take over the village using his army of robotic "Cyberats".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References
The following is a list of references and meanings in the book you may or may not have picked up on, to allow a greater appreciation of the book.

Tadsilweny: Anagram of Walt Disney, an American Animator.
Toon: Short for Cartoon.
Hubs: Great Sage of the Tasilwenyans. Anagram of Bush, as in current American President George Bush.
Nagmas: Anagram of Mangas, a Japanese style of comic.
Gnama: Home Planet of the Nagmas. Anagram of Manga.
Akoaotaki: Leader of Nagmas. Anagram of Takao Aoki, author and creator of the Manga "Beyblade".
Centurion Polyanthus: Polyanthus are a type of flower that come in every colour of the rainbow.

Dogmatix looking at Cockeral: (p5, panel 10). Appears to be a reference to the Short Story "Chanticleerix" Uderzo especially wrote for Class Act in 2003. In the story, Dogmatix helps Chanticlerix, who looks like the Cockeral here.
Superclone: Costume similar to American Superhero "Super Man". The face is a caricature of Arnold Schwarzenegger, an Actor best known for his Action roles in American movies.
Spider and Bat Super Clones: (p11 ,panel 4). Reference to other American Comic (and Film) Superheroes - Spiderman and Batman.
Toon says (P16, panel 2), "We are from a Galaxy of 50 stars, all of them at Peace with their neighbours". Reference to American flag, which has 50 stars representing 50 states.
Galactic Council of the Wise: (P16, panel 4). Reference to the United Nations.
Hot-dog: (page 20, panel 6) Toon offers Asterix a hot-dog, a food associated with America.
Cyberats: Although they belong to the Japanese Nagmas, they have Mickey Mouse heads and ears. A reference to both Mickey, and how cultures steal/borrow from other cultures?
Obelix wonders if Asterix and Getafix have gone back to childhood (page 30, panel 2). Reference to Asterix and Obelix all at Sea when Obelix actually did revert to childhood.
Getafix says that after drinking the Magic Potion Toon will be able to move mountains (page 30, panel 7). Allusion to Islamic prophet Mohammed who supposedly moved a mountain.
The Alien Toon is repeatedly described as a "Shrinking Violet". Toon shares similarities with Shrinking Violet - a DC comic book Superhero who comes from the planet Imsk and has the power to has the power to shrink to tiny size.
Toon suffers a side effect of drinking the Magic Potion and balloons in size. This is a possible reference to Violet Beauregarde, a character in Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who swells up like a balloon... or blueberry.

Toon turns black and white after drinking the antidote, the same colour scheme as the original Mickey Mouse design.
Song: If I had a Hammer (p13, panel 6).Sung by Peter, Paul and Mary.
Song: Do Wah Diddy Diddy (p47). Originally performed by Manfred Mann and a No.1 hit in 1964.

[...]

flappo
10-31-2005, 11:17 AM
i loved the old asterix books , amazing artwork and so clever

tin tin had it's moments too

Rikk
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, TINTIN was a very cool comic book.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Cheers to you,Imapus, DLN, Rikk and Flappo: you are amazing connaisseurs! ;)

http://www.feinspitz.net/ezine/buecher/haddock2.gif

Haddock speaking German, kickass! :D

Anonymous
11-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Jérôme, I was too lazy to reply to this post that day, so I decided to get away with just a abtolusey, but you made some grate points that ddeserve to be replied to.

Kidding! :D

Uderzo is Belgian, like most of "BD" ("bande dessinée", not quite the same as comics) makers.

Yeah, I know it's BD, but I can't fine the proper term for it in English, so I just called it "comic".

The albums he made on his own suck as compared to those Goscinny wrote... like "Mansions of the Gods".
There was a discussion about the new album on a French forum last week, and everybody safe a couple of posters were really pissed.

Aliens from space... The title of the thread was "This time the skies have fallen upon Uderzo's head!". Very clear. They said the humour was no good, the text was no good, the scenario was no good, in a word: a wreckage!

Now, that's just overreacting. Sure, it's kinda sucky because of the aliens, but the humour's still pretty good, the text is ok - as good as it can be, for the story - and the scenario was pretty much the same. All in all, the only really bad thing were the aliens. Why do arseholes exaggerate so much?

I've stopped reading Asterix after the second album Uderzo made by himself. It's said that Uderzo no longer has access to the bottom of Goscinny's drawers, and you can see it when you open his last "BDs".
Anyway, I dig reading the old albums again now and then, like the whole collection in a row for a few weeks. It's really refreshing, a bit simple but often hilarious. By Toutatis!:cool:

You know, that's exactly what I'm doing now...shit, I didn't even remember Asterix and Obelix being chased by the romans on "Asterix and the Goths"... Hilarious!

Anonymous
11-03-2005, 12:55 AM

A live coward beats a dead hero any day of the week, I always say. :rofl:

Anonymous
11-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Cheers to you,Imapus, DLN, Rikk and Flappo: you are amazing connaisseurs! ;)

http://www.feinspitz.net/ezine/buecher/haddock2.gif

Haddock speaking German, kickass! :D

Ha! My favorite all time character. The stunts Haddock pulls just to drink another glass of scotch and his justifications for doing so always crack me up. In fact, he's the only reason I keep opening Tintin albums. A role model ever since I was of young age.

And cheers all around the table once again: Jérôme, Natra, Rikk and Flappo.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-03-2005, 02:22 PM
:D Imapus...

Your precisions about Asterix are right, I think: you got the new album, I could only echo reactions... Maybe it's the old reflex that makes some people automatically say "it's not the same as it used to be", whatever they allow themselves to criticize from the height of their self-importance.

Ha! My favorite all time character. The stunts Haddock pulls just to drink another glass of scotch and his justifications for doing so always crack me up. In fact, he's the only reason I keep opening Tintin albums. A role model ever since I was of young age.

Captain Haddock is my fave too. I learnt to read one year before time thanks to him. He's not only hilarious, but also the character who counterbalances Tintin's exasperating happy know-it-all boy scout world...

And cheers all around the table once again: Jérôme, Natra, Rikk and Flappo.

Yeah! :bottle: Cheers!

WARF
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I'll buy that for a dollar!

Mezro
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by flappo

tin tin had it's moments too

I like that story where Tin Tin was fist fucking the guy who looks like Nathan Lane inside the submarine disguised as a shark.

Mezro...dive...dive...TIN TIN?...NOOOOOOOOOO...