PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan for President

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
:rolleyes:

by Kristen Lombardi (Or Senate. The anti-war left seeks a challenger for Hillary Clinton)

November 1st, 2005

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20051026/i/r2480346680.jpg?x=314&y=345&sig=mlkszA385VZVDHZP5uv0Vg--

Cindy Sheehan, a/k/a the "peace mom," :rolleyes: probably never intended to sound like a candidate, but she did. Sheehan, the activist who became the face of anti-war sentiment after camping outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, last summer, had just mounted the podium at the Brooklyn Peace Fair on October 22. And already she was getting political.

"Maybe later we'll talk about your senators," she said, provoking a wave of booing and hissing from the 200-plus crowd. Sheehan, whose 24-year-old son Casey was killed in Iraq in April 2004, was referring to both of New York's "pro-war Democrats," as she calls them. But many in the audience assembled at the Brooklyn YWCA focused on just one: Hillary Clinton, the one who's up for re-election next year, the one who's believed to have her eye on the White House as well.

"Where is Hillary!" shouted an audience member from the back of the hall. The crowd, mostly members of local anti-war groups, went wild with applause, waving posters that read "Hillary Speak Out" and "We Cindy." Another audience member chimed in, "We love you, Cindy!"

They'd taken a cue from their newfound leader, Sheehan, who has plenty of fighting words for New York's junior senator these days. She first blasted Clinton for backing the Iraq invasion on October 16, writing a scathing article posted on several progressive websites. Sheehan described her as "a political animal who believes she has to be a war hawk to keep up with the big boys." Unless the senator pushes for pulling U.S. troops out of Iraq, Sheehan wrote, "I will resist [her presidential] candidacy with every bit of my power and strength."

Sheehan repeated these sentiments as she hopped from anti-war vigils to call-in radio shows during a week-long visit to New York City last month. In Brooklyn, she reminded the crowd of her efforts to "call out the pro-war Democrats," explaining, "Hillary Clinton is the leader of the pack."

She then offered up a challenge, urging activists to withhold their support for the popular senator unless she comes around. "It's time to tell your elected officials, 'If you're not with us, you're against us,' " Sheehan said, "and if you're against us, we'll vote you out of office. "

Five days later, New Yorkers who oppose the Iraq war began heeding Sheehan's advice. Some 70 activists gathered outside Clinton's midtown office on the day after American casualties in Iraq hit the grim 2,000 mark. The activists read names of the U.S. fallen and lit candles in their honor.

Carolyn Eisenberg, of Brooklyn Parents for Peace, which sponsored the peace fair, says the action represents just the beginning. "The peace movement here will be doing all it can to get in the senator's way," she adds. Already, there is talk of coordinating protests and sit-ins at all nine of Clinton's district offices. There is talk of seeking an anti-war candidate to take her on next year. There is even talk of drafting Cindy Sheehan, a bit of wishful thinking that, if anything, reflects the level of frustration.

"People are very frustrated that Senator Clinton isn't really addressing this war," Eisenberg says. And so, she adds, they aim to send her a message: "If she positions herself as a hawk, she will find her support among Democrats slipping."

:elvis:

FORD
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I don't think she's ready to be President. But she should consider running for the Senate against PNAC corporatist DLC whore Diane Feinstein. That could be an interesting race.

She is right to call out Hillary though, as she's almost as much of a hypocrite as Feinstein.

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:11 PM
200 people?

I can find more people playing bingo down at the local senior center.

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
:D

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:13 PM
The liberal media inflates Sheehan's importance when 90% of the public couldn't give two shits about her.

FORD
11-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Warham
The conservative media inflates Sheehan's importance when 90% of the public didn't know who she was until they started constantly whining about her.

Warham
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Why would conservatives inflate her importance? She's anti-Bush and anti-American. We think she's doing a disservice to her son by using him as a political tool. We think she should go back home and go take care of the family she still has.

FORD
11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
How the HELL is she "anti-american"??

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
By what Warpig just said...

jhale667
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't classify her as "Anti-American".

FORD
11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

And how does one become "anti-american" by opposing a treasonous war which is itself, truly "anti-american"?

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
By using her son's death as a political tool...

FORD
11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
By using her son's death as a political tool...

You're going in circles.....

Her son didn't die for America. Sure, he was led to believe he was serving his country. And went there of his own free will (or whatever one has left of free will after boot camp brainwashing) believing exactly that. But the fact is, Casey Sheehan was lied to. As was his mom. As were all of us.

Casey's death did not make one American safer. Nor did the death of any of his 2000 plus other brothers in arms. Iraq is a LIE and the BCE's LIE is what is "anti-american".

Warham
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Boot camp brainwashing? :rolleyes: Obviously never served in the military, eh?

I think you libs have been brainwashed.

I wasn't lied to. I remember quite well what the reasons were for going into Iraq.

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FORD
(or whatever one has left of free will after boot camp brainwashing)

Dude, something is wrong with you...

FORD
11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Boot camp brainwashing? :rolleyes: Obviously never served in the military, eh?

It is brainwashing. It may be neccessary to make them ready for combat, but that is exactly what it is. The real problem is that nobody deprograms them when they come out of the service. Which is why you have guys who go nuts and beat their wives, kill themselves, or some become cops and confuse the streets of the USA for the combat zone. They need a "reverse boot camp" for those on their way out of the military.

I think you libs have been brainwashed.

I wasn't lied to. I remember quite well what the reasons were for going into Iraq.

Which one?

The WMD's (which didn't exist)?

The (completely fictional) ties to (the mostly fictional) Al Qaeda?

The idea that it was a "cake walk" and that US troops would be welcomed by smiling Iraqi people with candy & flowers (as promoted by PNAC'ers Perle and Wolfoshitz.)

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Fuck off FORD...

You're a complete delusional idiot...:rolleyes:

Warham
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Bootcamp isn't the reason guys came back from Vietnam and other wars with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Dr. Love
11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
That's not anti-American, that's disturbing.

FORD
11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Bootcamp isn't the reason guys came back from Vietnam and other wars with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It's not the natural state of the human mind to be a "lean mean killing machine" and to be constantly surrounded by death and violence. The combination would fry anyone's mind.

thome
11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
She obviosly is not hitting on all cylinders and from her speech
seems to have created her own self styled Jesus Christ Complex,
and would probably garner more attention if she nailed herself to
a Cross in her front yard. Sacrificing herself for the peace of the
whole world ].Get Off!

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 03:55 PM

You'll never get that through his thick skull...

I've come to believe you can't tell that idiot anything...

knuckleboner
11-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I remember quite well what the reasons were for going into Iraq.

there was just 1: to enforce the UN resolution that saddam allow weapons inspectors free and unfrittered access to his country.

everything else may be nice. (and better for the iraqi people in the long run) but as far as our reasons for going to war go, they're really just spin.

that said, God help us if cindy sheehan gets elected to the senate.

(and i initially opposed the war; presumably before she did...)

Warham
11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
That's not anti-American, that's disturbing.

FORD's sentiments disturb me.

He makes it sound like every vet that has served this country honorably has been brainwashed.

I'm downright offended.

FORD
11-01-2005, 04:01 PM
FORD's sentiments disturb me.

He makes it sound like every vet that has served this country honorably has been brainwashed.

I'm downright offended.

Actually, I wouldn't say that at all. In fact, it seems to be a more recent phenomenon.

Probably a result of these "wars" being ran by the CIA on behalf of their own interests (Drugs in Vietnam, oil in the middle east, etc.)

You didn't have to "convince" anyone that Adolf Hitler or Emperor Hirohito were threats.

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but without Prescott, there would have been no Hitler, correct ??

Warham
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
LMAO!

FORD
11-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but without Prescott, there would have been no Hitler, correct ??

Yes, it's true that the BCE funded Hitler.

Warham
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Henry Ford funded Hitler too.

Why is Ford still in business in the US?

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Idiot...

Double:rolleyes:

FORD
11-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Henry Ford funded Hitler too.

Why is Ford still in business in the US?

Hitler himself commanded the invention of the Volkswagen. I don't see you complaining about VW's.

ELVIS
11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
He's not complaining about Fords either...

He's pointing out your stupidity...

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Did you say Warpig??? :D

Keeyth
11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Sometimes I just can't figure out where you stand Elvis!

Millermoos
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
We think she should go back home and go take care of the family she still has.
This is usually what man say when they find a woman that puts up a challenge the other thing they say to put a woman down is that she is a slut usually.
I don't see her as Anti American at all.If any body who oppose to the war in Iraq is called Anti American God Bless the USA cos you have quite a few of anti war protesters over there. Usually big things start in a small, quite, way.....
Millermoos

BigBadBrian
11-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Millermoos
This is usually what man say when they find a woman that puts up a challenge the other thing they say to put a woman down is that she is a slut usually.
I don't see her as Anti American at all.If any body who oppose to the war in Iraq is called Anti American God Bless the USA cos you have quite a few of anti war protesters over there. Usually big things start in a small, quite, way.....
Millermoos

What grammar school did you attend?

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
What grammar school did you attend?

Obviously none. Damn these babbling posters are annoying sometimes, huh?

FORD
11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Over 60% of this country is now "anti-american" according to Elvis' definition.

And the others believe Adam & Eve rode dinosaurs to church (-stolen from Tina Fey on last weeks Saturday Night Live)

Warham
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
No, Cindy Sheehan isn't anti-American because she's against the war in Iraq. She's anti-American for alot of bullshit she's said besides this current war.

Keeyth
11-02-2005, 12:46 PM
No, Cindy Sheehan isn't anti-American because she's against the war in Iraq. She's anti-American for alot of bullshit she's said besides this current war.

Do you have kids Warham? Do you know what it's like to love a child of your own??

She bore a son who died for this country. No matter what she does from here on out, you can NEVER call her anti-American. EVER.

You always say to respect and support the troops. Well, then you can never call this woman anti-American, or you are disrespecting the troops and specifically this soldier who died for your freedom.

To find out later that your child was killed in a war he never should have been in because we were lied to about why we entered it? I'd be mad as hell too, and speaking out against those who lied to us... ...just like any other parent in their right mind.

Millermoos
11-03-2005, 07:53 AM
None obviously.
A) Do you mean I don't know how to write?
B) You don't like what I wrote so you try to find another way to put me down?
I am dyslexic.
I would like to know what the Iraqi people think of this war cos they are the once who are getting blown up on daily basis over there.
Millermoos

ELVIS
11-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Unreadable

That post tends to reveal a little more than just dyslexia...

:elvis:

ELVIS
11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Maybe you don't speak english ??

Keeyth
11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Or worse. Maybe schizophrenic AND dyslexic??? :D

Cathedral
11-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I think Cindy Sheehan is the complete opposite of Anti-American, she gave a child to the Nation and we are greatful for his service and her difficult sacrifice.

Cindy is in no way shape or form Anti-American for trying to express her displeasure as loudly as possible and to as many as she can. It is her RIGHT to do so, more so than myself as a matter of fact because i haven't lost a child i raised to a war.

If it were me i would want my mother to feel proud that she could mount a protest against what she percieves as an injustice because her right to do that in this country is what our forces were created to preserve.
I see her as being extremely patriotic as a matter of fact.
What is Anti-American is trying to supress her protest, that is what isn't American.

Let her do whatever she wants within the law, make sure everyone is safe, including her.
The day when a Cindy Sheehan cannot express themselves in protest without being silenced is a day when Liberty and Freedom are just a memory, remember that.

What i don't like is how some people try to use her as a partisan political tool.
But, that may even prove to assist the Republicans in maintaining the White House in '08, or at least help greatly in mounting a defense against a Hillary Clinton Administration if Cindy puts a lot of fire under her position on Iraq.
If she isn't careful the Republicans will use her against herself.

Millermoos
11-04-2005, 07:59 AM
No not schizo...just dyslexic and English. I did not know that my posts where checked by teachers....
Thank you very much..
Well said Cathedral!!
Millermoos

Nickdfresh
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Funny, but how come you Neo Con dickheads (a.k.a ELVIS and BRIAN) get on peoples' grammar only when they ever-so-slightly contravene your stilted, phoney-ass ultra-right wing AMERICA Firster paradigms?

I guess THOME's, WAYNE L's, REDBALLJET88's, and about a dozen other Neo Con lackeys grammar around here is far worse than his, yet you never say anything...

Interesting.