PDA

View Full Version : Buckethead Quits Gn'R

Sarge
03-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Enigmatic masked guitarist Buckethead has left Guns n' Roses after four years of service.
According to reports, Buckethead, whose name refers to the inverted Kentucky Fried Chicken tub he wears on his noggin, had grown tired of idle time spent in the troubled Gn'R, which hasn't released a new album in a decade. The group made some motions towards a comeback in late 2002 with a winter tour, its first in nine years, but weeks after its troubled launch, the whole tour was cancelled.

Having released more than ten albums in the past decade, Buckethead seems most comfortable doing regular work. He has a pair of solo albums slated for release this summer, and he's also recorded with Primus frontman Les Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains ensemble along with keyboardist Bernie Worrell and drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia, who also has been playing with Guns n' Roses. Buckethead is also in the middle of a solo tour that runs through the middle of April.

As for Guns, there is no word as to whether the group would replace Buckethead. The most recent lineup included a pair of guitarists (Robin Finck and Richard Fortus) along with two keyboardists (Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman) and bassist Tommy Stinson. The delay of the group's new Chinese Democracy has caused other headaches for frontman Axl Rose. The group's label, Geffen, had assembled a Greatest Hits collection during the downtime, the release of which Rose tried unsuccessfully to block.

MARC W. DOLECH
(March 19, 2004)

http://rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19490

ALinChainz
03-28-2004, 01:13 PM
I think we've all quit GnR at this point.

PHOENIX
03-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Axl's little world is imploding.:D

Mr Badguy
03-28-2004, 03:13 PM
I find it hard to fell anything for a guy who was a non recording member of a band who haven`t released an original album for 13 years.

Does anyone know how good this guy is?

Mr Grimsdale
03-28-2004, 03:52 PM
i've never heard anything by the guy, he's supposed to be good but how can anyone tell

what stuff has he done?

Chong Li
03-29-2004, 07:20 AM
A couple of points.

Buckethead is pretty good. I have downloaded some of his stuff because I was curious. He can write and jam and his stuff is just endless pointless solos. He was a weird fit for GNR because he isnt a bluesy type player like Slash, more of a technical virtuoso like Steve Vai.

I met a guy that was a mixer on recent albums by RATT and others. He worked on Chinese Democracy and its a mess. Geffen has sunk like 10 million dollars into this thing and they have basically written it off.

This guy also told me about the Velvet Revolver project (Weiland heading up the old GNR) before it was ever announced. Before they had settled on Weiland, the old GNR guys had considered a chick as the lead vocalist and also KID ROCK replacing Axl and being the head man in Velvet Revolver. Now THAT would have been interesting. Imagine Kid Rock singing old GNR on tour!

Mr Badguy
03-29-2004, 01:50 PM
The only thing I`ve heard by Buckethead was an instrumental on "The last action hero" soundtrack.

If he`s anything like Steve Vai then we`re not missing much.

Technical virtuosity doesn`t do much for me, personally.

PHOENIX
03-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
The only thing I`ve heard by Buckethead was an instrumental on "The last action hero" soundtrack.

Also the fact that he wears a bucket on his head is not cool.

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
don't knock it unless you've tried it

Roy Munson
03-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I'm the same way. I do appreciate great musicianship, but there is a point where it becomes extremely boring. A friend of mine is a Dream Theater nutcase and I just don't get it. After hearing 30 seconds of one of their songs I'm done. That's enough for me.

I really like music that has a lot of feeling and soul. Not something you have to think so hard about.

I'd rather listen to Jack White than John Petrucci anyday.

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2004, 10:21 AM
It's preferable listening to Jack White than watching his ex-wife/sister/whoever she is.

I didn't know you chaps allowed such extreme medical experiments until I saw her. Shocking.

DLR7884
04-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Buckethead--who cares?

DLR7884
I sure don't.

TMR
04-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Buckethead--who cares?

DLR7884
I sure don't.

Exactly....I can see it now JOHN5 joins AXLE in the studio

VanJay011379
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I say GNR with Buckethead and he had one hell of a stage presence and did a guitar solo you had to see live to appreciate.

He did this robot dance that made me LMAO and then did different styles of guitar playing (funk, rock, etc) and did the Star Wars theme.

I had the same feeling like, oh a dumbfuck with a KFC bucket on his head, at first until I saw him play.

I also picked up Bucketheadland 2. Some great guitar playing. Although the oddball dialogs take a little away.

Anyway, it was 120 bucks to see the new GNR for my girlfriend and I and I was totally impressed. That new song Madagascar was incredible.

Let's put it this way, my girlfriend didn't want to go at all. After the show she was asking to borrow my GNR discs.

Finally, I know this is going to piss everyone off, but when you look at Buckethead, thats what some people see when they look at DLR. Don't get me wrong, I love Dave but I usually catch myself defending him in "other realms" (ie message boards) of the Internet.

Mr Grimsdale
04-13-2004, 02:18 PM
did she give you a topless hand shandy afterwards?

Panamark
04-17-2004, 07:14 AM
AXL ! The Rock Gods have spoken, call Slash before its too late !!

DLRismydad
04-18-2004, 05:08 PM
At this point I think Axl should be on his knees begging Slash to come back

Hecubus
04-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Oh no...

This is going to delay Chinee Democlacee even more....

Oh no....

GAR
04-27-2004, 02:32 AM
uAKJHG LKJH B

LKJN UI[ YUI[=0M ;KJ;J