PDA

View Full Version : Cream At Madison Square Garden: A Review

Hardrock69
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Cream In Madison
Square Garden
Review By Steve Hellerman
11-2-5

Got back to SoCal last Weds. night, but I promised you a review of the Cream show I saw at Madison Square Garden in NYC last Tuesday (11/25; middle of three shows), though I apologize for its belated entry and that my impressions are no longer "fresh":

First of all, I just will never get used to attending a rock concert complete w/ psychedelic effects backdrop behind the stage, the smell and taste of good herb, killer hard rock, and where the average age is around 55 and I'm one of the young ones at 47. I know I'll just have to get used to it, but there is some huge cosmic irony going on here.

As for the show: Best concert I've been to in years. Really, really impressed.

I didn't go to the Albert Hall shows (like I can just drop everything and just fly to London?), nor to the other two at MSG on Mon. or Weds. But I spoke to one of those went-to 'em-all-fanatics afterwards who said they were playing better at the Garden then they had in England, and that the Tues. night show was the best so far. He noted that Bruce sat for much of the London shows, whereas there wasn't even a chair for him onstage now.

Anyway, it didn't start out that way, at least where we were sitting, as the sound was muffled and the playing, at least on the first couple of tunes ("I'm So Glad" and "Spoonful") seemed somewhat lethargic and desultory. Picked up a bit on "Outside Woman Blues," though still not full throttle. Ginger Baker was certainly giving his all on "Pressed Rat" and the drums were sounding great, but the guitar and the bass seemed a bit overwhelmed.

The three of them were communicating, however; a good sign, I suppose. But maybe a third of the way into "Sleepy Time Time" the mix got louder and clearer, and then Clapton seemed to kick it up a good couple of notches. Just in time, too, 'cause w/ a bit of a nod to each other they launched into "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and it fucking smoked. You could feel the energy wind up the crowd right there, and both the phenomenal quality of the music and the good vibe energy from the audience continued from that point on.

I've included the set list, and one can get more info and reviews at the Eric Clapton Fan Club website (though not any regarding whether or not there will be anymore Cream concerts; I sure as hell hope they do this some more...), among others, so I won't recount every song or moment. Along w/ "Ulysses," my personal favorites included "Politician," "Deserted Cities of the Heart" (one of those sorta obscure Cream tunes that wasn't done justice in the studio, I think, which -- along w/ "Ulysses" -- has refused to leave my head all week), "Crossroads" (the overheard consensus was that unlike in London, the solos -- two of 'em -- were complete and the tune not just perfunctory), "We're Gong Wrong" and, of course, the encore of "Sunshine of Your Love."

Some additional thoughts: I was truly impressed by Bruce's extended harmonica on "Rollin and Tumblin": displaying a full range of techniques, such as octave playing and tongue blocking (recognizable to us harp players) w/ a variety of riffs, clarity, rhythm, and a hell of a lot of energy, alternated w/ vocals on the same mike. Not quite so good when he used the harp holder and played bass at the same time (admittedly quite hard to do) on "Sitting on Top of the World": too many high notes, not enough tremelo/vibrato.

But if one ever had doubt that Jack Bruce is a bonafide Bluesman Supremo, they were certainly erased by his singing throughout this show. His playing was also great, but at times the bass came through rather muddy and murky and sublimated to the drums and lead guitar; I couldn't hear everything he was doing. However, the man was clearly enjoying himself, at times prancing around the stage, thanking the audience "from the bottom of my heart, I really mean it."

Baker's solo on "Toad" was the best drum solo I can remember seeing in many years (where the hell has this guy been since 1969? I know, there was the Baker/Gurvitz Army and other such projects, but, c'mon). Indeed, the drums were what consistently sounded most consistent and clear throughout the evening. As for Clapton, I've seen the guy five times now over about thirty years and this was by far the best (at least for me).

Rumor is that it's up to Eric whether or not there will be more Cream.

One can only hope.

I'm So Glad
Spoonful
Outside Woman Blues
Pressed Rat
Sleepy Time Time
Tales of Brave Ulysses
NSU
Badge
Politician
Sweet Wine
Rollin' & Tumblin'
Stormy Monday
Deserted Cities
Born Under A Bad Sign
We're Going Wrong
Crossroads
Sitting On Top Of The World
White Room
Toad
Sunshine Of Your Love

ELVIS
11-02-2005, 09:56 AM
I had the new DVD in my basket at Wal-Mart and I put it back...

Nice review...

:elvis:

BrownSound1
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Buy that fookin' DVD!!!!!

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
I did...the first day it was out.

Only drag is that they do not have "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" on the DVD.

I think I read somewhere that they did not perform it in London.

Elvis, Clapton absolutely SMOKES on this DVD.

He has produced a lot of lame pop bullshit over the past 30 years, but for the first time in awhile, he is kicking ass and taking names!!!!

Jack Bruce's voice was in great shape, and Ginger Baker turned in about a 15-minute drum solo that every drummer should be FORCED to watch.

I surely hope that someone taped the MSG shows.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4399614.stm

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=musicNews&storyID=2005-11-01T172658Z_01_FLE162614_RTRIDST_0_MUSIC-CREAM-DC.XML

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/001281.html

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I am checking my resources to see if I can get any of the MSG shows. I am reasonably sure somebody recorded at least one of them out of the 3....

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Here I found this on the net, for those of you with bittorrent...

October 24th @ MSG

http://piratic.org/info?id=35333&q=Cream%2010%2024%2005

October 25th @ MSG

http://piratic.org/info?id=35401&q=Cream%20MSG%20October%2025%202005%20Schoeps%20FO B

DrMaddVibe
11-03-2005, 07:25 AM
SAid it before and I'll say it again...

When Clapton is in a "group" he shines...he has to work.

When he's solo...he's lazy and uninspiring as an artist.

Kinda like Eddie with Dave...with Dave Eddie shined like the sun...without him...he drinks and smokes too much and plays the keyboards!

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Grate description!

PHOENIX
11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Cream should do a new album.

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 12:42 PM
No shit. Too bad they are not going to tour any, but if they could do a studio album that whould rule!
:cool:

Golden AWe
11-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I just bought THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL 2-cd set...fookin' ace...

Clapton's playing sounds way more inspired than it has for ages...I really dig this...

I've only listened to this for three times but it's gonna stay on the cd player for a while now..."I'm so glad..."

Dirty Duck
11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Very detailed and impressive review...

Hardrock69
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I still have had no luck finding the Madison Square Garden set yet.

Someday....

Loons The Great
12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout nah!!!!!!

Cream re-united...is Van Halen with David Lee Roth next??

Well well well...