PDA

View Full Version : Fetal pain issue grows in Congress

BigBadBrian
11-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Fetal pain issue grows in Congress
WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- U.S. anti-abortion rights activists in Congress are stepping up efforts to raise awareness of fetal pain during an abortion.

A bill pending in the House called the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act would require doctors to inform women who have an abortion after 20 weeks that the fetus will feel pain and offer her the option to use anesthesia on the fetus.

One of the most recent representatives to sign on as one of the bill's 127 co-sponsors is Steve Chabot, R-Ohio, who told the Cincinnati Enquirer he would like to see abortion made illegal altogether, but since the law is on the books, he's committed to doing what he can to "protect innocent and unborn life whenever possible."

An August article in the Journal of the American Medical Association said fetuses don't feel pain until the third trimester, which spans weeks 28-40.

Chabot said premature babies born before the 28th week feel pain, so a fetus must also feel it.

Similar measures have been enacted this year in Arkansas, Georgia and Minnesota and are pending in several other states.

Link (http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20051031-13180700-bc-us-abortion.xml)

ELVIS
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Hmmm...

Seshmeister
11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Noone should be aborting after 22 weeks these days unless the mothers life is in danger.

BigBadBrian
11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Noone should be aborting after 22 weeks these days unless the mothers life is in danger.

Agreed.

I don't, however, oppose terminating a pregnancy if a mother's life is in danger.

I'll make that clear to everyone here before I get the inevitable remarks.

:gulp:

jhale667
11-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

I'd agree with that too.

Seshmeister
11-02-2005, 12:16 PM
First ever thread about abortion with no arguments?:)

jhale667
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
It's still early...:D