PDA

View Full Version : I totally agree with this

PHOENIX
11-04-2005, 08:53 PM
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but
we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell
phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Ozzy Fudd
11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I am one of those Kids from the 50's:D

rustoffa
11-04-2005, 10:29 PM
No helmet? No problem.

Fuck, no nothing? No problem!
:D

Dr. Love
11-04-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm a kid of the 80s, which means I didn't read this post because the font was annoyingly large, spaced out and I ran out of available attention alotted for this thread.

Dan
11-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Amen to That.

DLRdelight!
11-05-2005, 01:49 AM
I wish i was one of those kids, sounds hella fun, but im from 88

FORD
11-05-2005, 03:06 AM
This post must be intended for the grandparents of this generation, who need 40 point type to read.

RuzDNailz
11-05-2005, 03:29 AM
It's true. Well, when I was a kid of the 80's, technology was only beginning to take control of our lives. Nowadays everybody takes everything for granted. Heck, I remember in 1988 when all the sudden people stopped coming around to meet up to play soccer or baseball or even go on a biking adventure. The imagination was our only tool
to take us places. People decided to start using the T.V. for that and their little video games. It just happened all of the sudden.

Ozzy Fudd
11-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by FORD
This post must be intended for the grandparents of this generation, who need 40 point type to read.

LMFAO Yes we Do FORD Yes we do !!!!

thome
11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
And all of the creeks that handled all the water

for 5million years were natural places to play a reason to go
outside.All the sudden our citys decided they need to turn
them into concrete paved STORM DRAINS!!

Did you ever buy a $5 wadeing pool jump in the creek durring a rageing
torrential rain w/ a couple 11yr old buds and Huck Finn your way untill
the plastic disintegrated and your all swimming to the closest bush
or tree to crawl out and laugh about it for ever .

They leave no wild land in the suburbs they build up every
square foot FOR GREED ( more tax base to be collected).

When the children NEED a place to PLAY!!!!

NOT A PARK jus a chunk of what is natural ,THE DIKS!!!!

I'm with you 100% An Don't get me started il rant for Hours..:mad:

PHOENIX
11-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by FORD

Nah i just cut and pasted from an e-mail i got. Got my attention more with that size of font.:D

Jérôme Frenchise
11-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Those were the days... Yes they were! Thank you Phoenix for sharing! :cool:

faddam234
11-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Well...I was born in 86 and I can relate to 95% of this thread...

diamondsgirl
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
That is good stuff and very true.

This was a speech Bill Gates made once. Kind of similar.

Rule 1 -- Life is not fair - get used to it.

Rule 2 -- The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 -- You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a cell phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 -- If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 -- Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 -- If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 -- Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 -- Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 -- Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 -- Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 -- Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Bob_R
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
That is good stuff and very true.

This was a speech Bill Gates made once. Kind of similar.

Rule 1 -- Life is not fair - get used to it.

Rule 2 -- The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 -- You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a cell phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 -- If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 -- Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 -- If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 -- Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 -- Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 -- Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 -- Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 -- Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

I've seen that before DG. Very cool insights from Mr. Gates. Thanks for sharing. :)

CROWBAR
11-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Why the LARGE font chief?

Thanks for your addition Diamondsgirl! If I hadn't already threw you a fiver, I woulda again!;)

Terry
11-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Seeing kids of my friends now, and the sheer amount of structure...thinking of all the crazy shit we did back then, and how back then life didn't revolve around children, and everything wasn't catered to the sensibilities of kids...

PHOENIX
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Seeing kids of my friends now, and the sheer amount of structure...thinking of all the crazy shit we did back then, and how back then life didn't revolve around children, and everything wasn't catered to the sensibilities of kids...

We were more creative. Kids are spoiled these days.

MAX
11-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Stellar thread and so true.

I think of my "Papa" who was a simple country man. He died at the age of 82 I think? He died from cancer cos he was exposed to all of the atomic bomb testing in Nevada and Southern Utah, Anyway, that's beside the point. He ate homemade toast with bacon, home churned butter and mayonaise EVERY morning for years and NEVER had a heart condition. He was a very slender and athletic man.

Hence, he lived an active lifestyle and didn't ever have to stress, worry or pay attention to the cholesterol bullshit we do today.

I once remember him saying during a Wesson frying oil ad with Florence Henderson...

"I hope she puts EXTRA cholesterol in my chicken cos I have to kill it."

He lived on a farm and all and had no fucking clue as to what the fuck "cholesterol" even was, nor did he give a shit. He had to feed his family.

Anyway, tis' weird cos we all want to protect our children from harms way but sometimes even I shake my head at the complete and total pussification of America.

If my Mom told my brothers or myself to fucking wear a helmet while riding a bike when we were kids we would have laughed our collective asses off. Only dorks did such a thing but now and with our own babies, it's become the norm.

I dunno? Oh, and we didn't fuck around with BB guns when I was a kid. No, we actually had 22's strapped to our backs and our folks NEVER worried cos we only shot cans or birds. I still am sorry about the latter. :(

Life was a lot simpler even twenty years ago. Seems a lifetime Mmmmm since yesterday... ;)

Anyhoo, fuckin' stellar thread Penix. :cool:

Hardrock69
11-07-2005, 02:44 AM
I was born in 1960, and I totally agree with the above thread.

That was my childhood.

thome
11-07-2005, 03:52 AM
# 9 was my life in the job world," But Boss what is Late, time is relative.".3 minuets whats 3 min.... jeez.Yell at me for being
3 min late id rather be broke.
Since i've gotten older i see things a li'l different.But 3 min..?

ashstralia
11-07-2005, 04:35 AM
magnificent, what thome and max said!!!!

catching guppy's in the local creek, we would cycle 5km's away
for the best stream.

i'm just fkn glad i've still got both my hands,
because i played with volatile things, too. :-/