PDA

View Full Version : 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix': Two Disc Special Edition Remastered DVD Due In January

Hardrock69
11-09-2005, 01:14 PM
I bought this at Tower Records 4 or 5 months ago....there is something fucking strange here..they musta dug Jimi up, ground up his finger bones and smoke them or something and now they are hallucinating:

Nov. 8, 2005
As news comes of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix being inducted into the much coveted UK Music Hall of Fame in London on November 16, Warner Home Video (UK) has announced the two-disc special edition DVD release "A Film About Jimi Hendrix", due January 30, 2006. If any artist deserved a biography, it's Hendrix, and Joe Boyd's 1973 authorized tribute adequately sanctifies the legend. Originally released three years after the musician's untimely death, and set the benchmark for rock documentaries.

Click here for full details about this DVD.

The pioneering rockumentary brings together the best live footage spanning Hendrix's entire career from his beginnings to the iconic Monterey (1967) and Isle of Wight (1970) festival performances, all digitally transferred and restored. Included in the film are the classic songs "Hey Joe", "Rock Me Baby", "Like A Rolling Stone", and the milestone "Star Spangled Banner".

Featuring the guitar wizard on stage and behind the scenes, classic concert footage is interspersed with interviews with friends and prominent musicians giving first-hand recollections, including Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Lou Reed, and more covering the many facets of the Hendrix story, capturing the sound, look and spirit of the mid to late 1960s and early 1970s.

The long-awaited two-disc special edition of the 1973 documentary is loaded with extras and completely re-mastered to provide exceptional sound and picture quality, and includes:

* Never-before-seen performance of "Stone Free" from the July 4, 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival, culled from the vaults of the Experience Hendrix estate

* "The Making Of Dolly Dagger" $B!=(B Producer/engineer Eddie Kramer breaks down the mix

* "From Ukulele to the Strat" – 60-minute bonus featurettes remembering Hendrix

For Hendrix' forthcoming induction into the second annual UK Music Hall of Fame, the highly regarded guitar icon will join many a new line up of international music legends honoured in recognition of their outstanding contribution to contemporary music. Other inductees this year include THE WHO, THE KINKS, BOB DYLAN, JOY DIVISION/NEW ORDER, EURYTHMICS and PINK FLOYD. The UK Music Hall ceremony will be held at London's Alexander Palace on November 16, and will be broadcast in the U.K. on Channel 4 television on November 17. The program will air in the U.S. on VH1 on November 26, then move to VH1 Classic starting November 27.

Hardrock69
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Check it out...you can get used copies of this starting at $2.15 at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/6300269787/ref=imdbdpov_vhs_0/002-4605673-6966467?%5Fencoding=UTF8

ELVIS
11-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Mine is a single disc...

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 01:20 AM
It is not quite as kickass an upgrade as the Woodstock DVD was...THAT motherfucker is a fucking MASTERPIECE!!!!

Terry
11-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
It is not quite as kickass an upgrade as the Woodstock DVD was...THAT motherfucker is a fucking MASTERPIECE!!!!

Still have as yet to get the Woodstock DVD.

Think I'll stick with my single disc 1973 Hendrix movie. Am tired of everything being upgraded, and I don't need to see the 1970 Stone Free that bad.

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Most of the Extra stuff on the second disc is interviews that were not included in the original version.

So we get to hear more coke-fueled ramblings from his bitches....though there are some funny stories about him that are worth hearing.

Rikk
11-12-2005, 12:10 AM
These looks like the exact same extras as the recent edition.

I won't be rebuying it.

Terry
11-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Most of the Extra stuff on the second disc is interviews that were not included in the original version.

So we get to hear more coke-fueled ramblings from his bitches....though there are some funny stories about him that are worth hearing.

What was up with that one chick scratching her ditch through her jeans, while smoking a cigarette talking some shit like "And it means you don't particularly anyone interesting to talk to, particularly, and it wasn't a case of being afraid of going out like you were gonna get your cock ripped off like the poor Beatles but then you get to understand what isolation really is because you can't grow as an artist..." and on and on.

I like the Ghetto Fighters talking about Jimi and his Alpha Jerk.

Hardrock69
11-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
These looks like the exact same extras as the recent edition.

I won't be rebuying it.

Uh..dude...that is my point.
It is the same thing.

I got the info off Blabbermouth.net first, then followed the link to the original source, whcih claimed somehow that this was going to be released in January 2006.

Fucking dumbasses.
:rolleyes:

Rikk
11-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Uh..dude...that is my point.
It is the same thing.

:p

Sorry, bro. I read your post very quickly (I speed-read a lot around here) and took it as a question.

But yes, you're right. Very strange. I can't imagine what this press release is actually referring to.

On a better note, the WOODSTOCK release was probably the best Hendrix DVD release yet. And Eddie Kramer promised recently on Rockline that while more studio outtakes (including an extended FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN for two discs) may be in the works in the future, Experience Hendrix is busier right now putting together releases for the highly-profitable DVD market.

Four things I wish they would get their act together on:

1) A ROYAL ALBERT HALL '69 DVD set. It's about time they finally made a deal with the widow who owns the 16-mm film masters of these shows (and the European tour documentary footage that followed) and put together a comprehensive, 4-hour documentary. The entire show with multitracks exists, and it's a good one. Plus, there are hours of documentary footage and concert footage (including backstage and on-the-road scenes) in the can. If they could work out their legal troubles, we'd have yet another great Hendrix surround sound DVD release (with the accompanying live album).

2) A more comprehensive Berkely release. The director of this footage tried to claim recently that everything that was filmed was included, but that's crap. They had more footage available to try and make a feature film but only made a one-hour movie. Plus, even if there is only a bit of footage left, the recent DVD used an old print that needs to be remastered from the original source. This is one of Hendrix's greatest recorded concerts, and the DVD version deserves better treatment. The only question is whether or not someone can find the original footage cans.

3) MONTEREY '67...this was released in the recent Criterion set of the Monterey film. But a more comprehensive DVD containing all available documentary footage surrounding Hendrix's appearance, plus new interviews and then the Monterey film with newly remixed 5.1 surround would be awesome. This is easy to do because the masters are easily available and there are no legal hurdles.

4) RANDALL'S ISLAND '70. This festival gig was filmed and I have FOXEY LADY on an old bootleg video somewhere in my parents' basement in a box. It's time that the footage was tracked down, cleaned up and released in a DVD with the accompanying surround sound remix. Besides STAR SPANGLED BANNER and FOXEY LADY, this footage has NEVER been seen by anyone.

BTW, DAGGER RECORDS (the official online Hendrix boot company) is releasing a newly-discovered recording of Hendrix's final gig ever at the Isle of Fehrman, less than two weeks before his death. It was recorded on reel-to-reel from two mic's by the festival's promoters and is coming out in December. I'm ordering my copy...