PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of cults?

Millermoos
11-10-2005, 07:39 AM
The other day I was slowly reading the newspaper when I found an article about Madonna defending the cult called Kabbalah. As you know several famous people are part of this cult.
So it made me think why people do attack her or others that are part of Kabbalah? Why anybody would want to be in a cult where you have to pay a lot of money to the cult leaders, instead of being part of an established religion? Why does the name cult got a negative connotation lately? Cos at the beginning the word derived from the French word "culte" which came from Latin noun "cultus." The latter is related to the Latin verb "colere" which means "to worship or give reverence to a deity which really did not have a negative meaning attached to it.
What is a cult anyway? How does it differ from a sect for example?
And how do you know if the members are getting brainwashed? How can it differ from a main religion? Is it cos they can't live the cult or sect?Why do we care what famous people preferences are? I mean I don't care about Madonna never bought one of a records and never will cos I think she is a Vampire who takes stuff from other musicians.
Millermoos

Jérôme Frenchise
11-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Wow, thank you for etymology! :)

Originally posted by Millermoos

What is a cult anyway? How does it differ from a sect for example?
And how do you know if the members are getting brainwashed? How can it differ from a main religion?
Millermoos

Main religions do not make adepts pay for brainwash, which is a little less serious. ;)

DrMaddVibe
11-10-2005, 08:15 AM
I think they serve a useful purpose!

They keep all of the weak minded people away from people like me!

Rock on and don't forget to drink the kool-aid after the meteor shower!

franksters
11-10-2005, 08:52 AM
the biggest cult is TV!

Matt White
11-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I Larve THE CULT!!!

"THIS IS WHERE IT ALL ENDS!"

bueno bob
11-10-2005, 12:15 PM
The Sheep Pen is the bestest cult ever.

Diamondjimi
11-10-2005, 02:02 PM
It's all fairy tale folklore .

They (religions) are all cults IMO............

Dr. Love
11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
The only difference between a cult and a religion is population count.

loss of fools
11-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love

true that, true that.

Antman
11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I like the Cult. Saw them open for Metallica.

Seshmeister
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love

And maybe a bit of age.

Are Morman's still cuntsidered a cult?

I suppose scientologists won't be a cult soon.

Ozzy Fudd
11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I have always liked blue oyster cult myself.

Dr. Love
11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure about Mormonism... I think it's established enough now to have passed from cult -> religion. Most people I know still treat it like a cult, though.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
We see Mormons here, even in the city where I live. They're always as pale as shreds, they never go out without another adept, wearing those dark blue coats, white shirts and red ties. They seem inoffensive, but I don't know much about them though.

Matt White
11-11-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm Dee CULT of

I'm Dee CULT of

I'm Dee CULT of

I'm Dee CULT of

I'm Dee CULT of

I'm Dee CULT of

PER-SON-AL-ITY!!!!

Ask NOT what your Country can do for YOU!!!

Millermoos
11-11-2005, 06:17 AM
I am suprised you have Mormons if France. I did not know.
I agree with all of you, you gave some interesting replies.
Why Scientology won't be a cult soon?Is something new happening that I don't know?
Millermoos

Jérôme Frenchise
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Millermoos
I am suprised you have Mormons if France. I did not know.

I mean they're a few American students whose hobby is to try and convert as many "autochtons" as they can. I had a discussion 15 years ago with two of them (they always "work" in pairs), as believers they both were convinced to hold "the" truth, but were obviously well-trained as far as carefully handling individuals' wariness and susceptibility...

Seshmeister
11-11-2005, 10:08 AM
The story behind the founding of the Morman religion is very fucking funny but it's also kind of sad that there are so many stupid gullible people in the world.

Golden AWe
11-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Denmark had loads of mormons too...I only let them in when there were two attractive chicks trying to convert us, but they were not so much into my drinking habits...isn't it a pity?

Matt White
11-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Quite Right

Jérôme Frenchise
11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Denmark had loads of mormons too...I only let them in when there were two attractive chicks trying to convert us, but they were not so much into my drinking habits...isn't it a pity?

:D
"I got a girl named Bonie Mormonie
She’s as skinny as a stick of macaroni
When she rock and rolls with her blue jeans on
She’s not very fat, just skin and bones
I love her, she loves me
Oh, how happy now we can be
Making love underneath the apple tree"

BITEYOASS
11-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
I have always liked blue oyster cult myself.

Yeah and that song they did called "Don't fear the Reefer"! LOL I know it's not the title, but I bet it was the alternate version, WITH MORE COWBELL!!! Here's a little know fact about that band, the lead singer is Howard Stern's cousin. :D

Antman
11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I never feared the reefer.

alexpgrimes
11-11-2005, 05:56 PM
The largest cult in the world is the Catholic Church.

Anonymous
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I think they serve a useful purpose!

They keep all of the weak minded people away from people like me!

Wow... I used to have a negative opinion on cults... thanks doc!

Cults ARE a blessing, peeps. As long as they are entertained killing themselves, we get some peace.

Which is severely needed these days.

Cheers! :bottle:

guwapo_rocker
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I like to lick them....oh wait sorry.

Anonymous
11-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
I like to lick them....oh wait sorry.

:lol:

Cheers! :bottle:

Terry
11-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Kinda Sociology 101, but just people looking for something to believe in larger than themselves...wanting to think someone on the planet either has all the answers or at least a conduit to some otherworldly entity that will explain it all.

Have to think a lot of these people have had broken lives...I mean, how do you get to the point where someone tells you to put on your new running shoes and matching tracksuits, then kill yourselves sos the Mother Ship can beam you away...and to actually go through with it...

Plenty of 'em out there, too. Many of 'em accepted governmental institutions, religions or political parties.

Am with DrMaddVibe on this one. Let 'em drink the Kool-Aid. Helps thin out the herd. Too many damn idiots on this world sucking up my oxygen and energy needs. Best just to let 'em waste their money and lives. Think of it along Carlin's lines, as passive eugenics.

Millermoos
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Actually thinking about it.... last year I was sitting on a bus when a gal of my age sat next to me and started talking to me about God, how good her church was and how we are blessed..... after she pulled out a small book and she put into my hand and she asked me to go with her to meet her group. I looked at her straight in the eye and put her small pamphlet back into her hand ( she was part of a group called Geova?) and I said no thanks. She gave me a dirty look like I was the Devil, and she gave me another dirty look when she saw what was I reading: a book about the Englightment period in Fance and Voltaire after that she went off at the next stop to my great relief.
Have you had any encounters with people from so called cults?
Millermoos

The Scatologist
11-14-2005, 02:46 PM
I believe all other cults are false and their followers shall be doomed to a afterlife of eternal suffering.

Therefore, everyone should join my Cult of the White Toothed Ballerina, in order to recieve salvation.

Millermoos
11-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Cult of the White Toothed Ballerina,
Are There any special requirements to get into your cult Scatologist?