PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld Can Authorize Torture under New Directive

DLR'sCock
11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Rumsfeld Can Authorize Torture under New Directive
Agency France-Presse

Wednesday 09 November 2005

Washington - US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld can authorize exceptions to a new Defense Department policy on military interrogations that bars torture and calls for "humane" treatment of detainees, a spokesman said Wednesday.

The new directive lays out broad policy governing interrogations of detainees in Defense Department custody, but leaves the definition of "humane" to a separate, yet to be released directive that is still being debated within the administration.

A little noticed loophole in the directive, which was made public Tuesday, gives the secretary of defense or his deputy authority to override the policy.

"Intelligence interrogations will be conducted in accordance with applicable law, this directive and implementing plans, policies, orders, directives, and doctrine developed by DoD components and approved by USD (I), unless otherwise authorized, in writing, by the secretary of defense or deputy secretary of defense," the directive states. "USD (I)" refers to the undersecretary of defense for intelligence.

Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said there was nothing unusual about the caveat because a defense secretary always has the authority to change or modify policy he has made.

"Any deviation from the policy would have to be approved," he told reporters. "The secretary can make an exception to any policy."

The language in the directive echoes a struggle between the White House and members of Congress over a proposed amendment to the defense spending bill that would ban outright "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of prisoners in the detention of the US government."

Vice President Dick Cheney reportedly has pressed Senator John McCain, the amendment's sponsor, to exempt the CIA from the ban.

The White House denied Tuesday it is seeking an "exemption for torture" for the CIA, despite President George W. Bush's threat to veto the legislation.

The New York Times, meanwhile, reported Tuesday that a classified report last year warned that some interrogation procedures approved by the CIA after the September 11 attacks might violate some provisions of the United Nations Convention Against Torture.

The report by CIA inspector general John Helgerson listed 10 procedures approved in early 2002 for use against terror suspects, including one known as "waterboarding" in which a detainee is made to feel as if he is drowning, the Times said.

Helgerson did not conclude that those procedures constituted torture, but found they did appear to constitute cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment under the convention, the Times said.

The debate also has been fueled by a Washington Post report that the CIA has kept top al-Qaeda captives hidden away in a network of secret prisons around the world under conditions that might be considered cruel and inhuman.

The CIA has requested that the Justice Department investigate the leak of classified information contained in the Post report, a US official said.

Republican leaders in Congress on Tuesday also called for an investigation by the House and Senate intelligence committees into who leaked the information.

But other members of Congress, including some Republicans, said any investigation should probe the prisons themselves.

ELVIS
11-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Good...

:elvis:

Warham
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I wonder which music they'll play over the PA at Club Gitmo...they'll probably put on an album so sinister, the only word to come to mind is torture: Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood!

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/9325/panama.ra

ELVIS
11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
That's not that bad...

The album Chevy Chase made in the 70's is 100 times worse...

Nickdfresh
11-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah, 'cause RUMMY has really made some good calls.:rolleyes:

You dick bags would suck off this incompetent douche bag that has gotten hundreds of US troops killed in his fuckups...

Now I guess he'll get a few tortured in future wars...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/Rumsfeld.jpg

LoungeMachine
11-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Like I said....

Sometimes you go to war with the Secretary of Defense you have, not the one you want

Seshmeister
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Good...

You haven't got the hang of this Christianity shit yet at all have you...?:)

Hardrock69
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
He is not a Christian.

He thinks he is....

Warham
11-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Only God knows what's in somebody's heart.

ELVIS
11-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Here we go again with the non-christians thinking they know what being a Christian is...:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
11-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Here we go again with the non-christians thinking they know what being a Christian is...:rolleyes:

Comparing people's actions with their beliefs is okay.

It's no different than a Christian condemming a "radical" Muslim.

Those of us who are on the outside looking in at organized religions have gotten pretty good at spotting hypocrisy when we see it.

You can't pick and choose which Commandments you wish to follow, can you?

:cool:

Peace be with you, my brother.....

LoungeMachine
11-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Only God knows what's in somebody's heart.

Lust.
Greed.
Sloth.

I'm toast any way you slice it ;)

Seshmeister
11-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Please educate me I must be fucking retarded.

I just can't see it and I would genuinely love to know how you make the jump.

Tell me how your love of Jesus and his teachings leads you to want to torture people.

Cheers!

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
11-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Please educate me I must be fucking retarded.

I just can't see it and I would genuinely love to know how you make the jump.

Tell me how your love of Jesus and his teachings leads you to want to torture people.

Cheers!

Who Would Jesus Waterboard?

Nickdfresh
11-11-2005, 04:25 AM

Like you?

Warham
11-11-2005, 06:58 AM
If somebody here said they were Muslim, would you guys be picking on them as well?

Seshmeister
11-11-2005, 07:03 AM
If somebody here said they were Muslim, would you guys be picking on them as well?

If they were shouting for Christians to be tortured?

Damn right.

Warham
11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
If they were shouting for Christians to be tortured?

Damn right.

I think Elvis is referring to Islamic fascists, which is not to be considered indentical to lawful believers in the Muslim faith.

He might say different, but I've never seen Elvis shouting for torture of 'normal' Muslims.

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I advocate torture of pedophiles & serial killers, but then I am not a Christian.

I would never put myself up on a paper pedestal like that...

Seshmeister
11-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I think Elvis is referring to Islamic fascists, which is not to be considered indentical to lawful believers in the Muslim faith.

Firstly show me the bit where Jesus says torture Islamic facists.

Secondly this is how a torture session works

Q: You are a fucking Islamic Terrorist aren't you?
A: No
Torture
A: Yes
Ok good now lets torture the fucking terrorist. Thank fuck we were right about him being a terrorist otherwise that could have been against the law of Elvis.
Q: There WMD's in Iraq aren't there?
Torture

DrMaddVibe
11-11-2005, 10:02 AM
http://www.gotwavs.com/cgi-bin/wavs.cgi?Cheech_And_Chong=chainme.wav

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
LMAO!

:D

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Sesh put it right!

DrMaddVibe
11-11-2005, 10:25 AM
So Club Gitmo has your panties in a twist?

Those kneeling buffoons never had it so good...we're not torturing them...we're feeding them 3 squares a day...pointing them in the right direction for prayer time...giving them new clothes...why I say we get Sally Struthers to sob on tv and blab about how "For just pennies a day...you can make a difference"!

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
LMFAO!!!

That fat fucking whore....she was hot back int he 70s....

I find it so laughable she whines and cries about people who are fucking starving, when she has her head buried in fucking trough 24/7 inhaling food.

Perhaps she should wear a fucking feedbag over her face, so she can inhale food and be gagged, and hide her face all at the same time!

:cool:

Guitar Shark
11-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Who Would Jesus Waterboard?

LMFAO :D

Warham
11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Firstly show me the bit where Jesus says torture Islamic facists.

Secondly this is how a torture session works

Torture
Ok good now lets torture the fucking terrorist. Thank fuck we were right about him being a terrorist otherwise that could have been against the law of Elvis.
Torture

Do liberals like yourself think that turning off air conditioning and playing rap music loudly over a PA constitutes torture?

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I believe they do...

DrMaddVibe
11-11-2005, 04:07 PM
You forgot being forced to wear wires...women's underware...dog collars...and forced to make nude pyramids!

This to a pack of fucks that used to use rape rooms to break down an "enemy". Metal shredders to throw political opponents in and whole cities at your disposal to use chemical and biological weapons on!

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
LMFAO!!!

No shit!

Seshmeister
11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Do liberals like yourself think that turning off air conditioning and playing rap music loudly over a PA constitutes torture?

It's funny I was talking to my best pals tonight and they were saying I was a right wing reactionary.

All relative I guess...

If you think that all that happens in Abu Grahib is that people occasionally get some music or no air conditioning then you are deluded.

In any case until they are charged with anything never mind prosecuted then they are innocent.

What gives anyone the right to lock people in chains for years when they patently don't have enough evidence to prosecute them?

Cheers!

Nickdfresh
11-11-2005, 10:09 PM

What the fuck does your lifestyle choices have to do with this?

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
What gives anyone the right to lock people in chains for years when they patently don't have enough evidence to prosecute them?

Cheers!

Your right...

They should give them their court date and return their laptops and shoulder fired SAMs...

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
His right?

What about his left?

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 11:01 PM
it depends on how much vodka he's had...;)

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
LMFAO!!

"NO! NO! Your OTHER left!"

kentuckyklira
11-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Good...

:elvis: So, why should Cuba, China and others respect human rights when the US even officially doesn´t??!!??