PDA

View Full Version : BUSH Not Honest New Poll Says

Nickdfresh
11-11-2005, 04:39 AM
Nov 11, 4:24 AM EST

Poll: Most Americans Say Bush Not Honest

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUSH_AP_POLL?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-11-11-04-24-20) Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Most Americans say they aren't impressed by the ethics and honesty of the Bush administration, already under scrutiny for its justifications for an unpopular war in Iraq and its role in the leak of a covert CIA officer's identity.

Almost six in 10 - 57 percent - said they do not think the Bush administration has high ethical standards and the same portion says President Bush is not honest, an AP-Ipsos poll found. Just over four in 10 say the administration has high ethical standards and that Bush is honest. Whites, Southerners and evangelicals were most likely to believe Bush is honest.

Bush, who promised in the 2000 campaign to uphold "honor and integrity" in the White House, last week ordered White House workers, from presidential advisers to low-ranking aides, to attend ethics classes.

The president gets credit from a majority for being strong and decisive, but he's also seen by an overwhelming number of people as "stubborn," a perception reinforced by his refusal to yield on issues like the Iraq war, tax cuts and support for staffers under intense pressure.

More than eight in 10, 82 percent, described Bush as "stubborn," with almost that many Republicans agreeing to that description. That stubborn streak has served Bush well at times, but now he is being encouraged to shake up his staff and change the direction of White House policies.

Concern about the administration's ethics has been fueled by the controversy over flawed intelligence leading up to the Iraq war and the recent indictment of Vice President Dick Cheney's top aide, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice for his role in the leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's name.

That loss of trust complicates Bush's efforts to rebuild his standing with the public. His job approval rating remains at his all-time low in the AP-Ipsos poll of 37 percent.

"Honesty is a huge issue because even people who disagreed with his policies respected his integrity," said Bruce Buchanan, a political scientist from the University of Texas.

The mandatory White House lectures on ethics for its employees came after the Libby indictment, and some people say they aren't impressed.

"It's like shutting the barn door after the horse escaped," said John Morrison, a Democrat who lives near Scranton, Pa.

"This week's elections were just a preview of what's going to happen," he said, referring to Tuesday's New Jersey and Virginia gubernatorial races, both won by Democrats. "People are just fed up."

Some Republicans are nervous about the GOP's political position.

"A lot of elected Republicans are running for the hills in the Northeast," said Connecticut GOP strategist Chris DePino after what he called "a waterfall of missteps" by Republicans. Bush and the GOP must return to their message that the United States has been safe from terrorism during his administration, DePino said.

Only 42 percent in the new poll said they approve of Bush's handling of foreign policy and terrorism, his lowest rating yet in an area that has long been his strongest issue.

The war in Iraq is at the core of the public's unrest, polling found.

In an AP-Ipsos poll in early October, almost six in 10 disapproved of the way Bush was doing his job, and Iraq was a dominant factor.

When those who disapproved of Bush were asked in an open-ended question the top reason, they most frequently mentioned the war far ahead of the second issue, the economy.

"To use an unfortunate metaphor, Iraq is a roadside bomb in American politics," said Rich Bond, a former national Republican chairman.

Many of those who approve of Bush's job performance cited his Christian beliefs and strong values, the second biggest reason for support after backing his policies.

"I know he is a man of integrity and strong faith," said Fran Blaney, a Republican and an evangelical who lives near Hartford, Conn. "I've read that he prays every morning asking for God's guidance. He certainly is trying to do what he thinks he is supposed to do."

The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted Nov. 7-9 by Ipsos, an international polling firm, and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

But I thought he was a "Christian?":confused:

Warham
11-11-2005, 06:57 AM
What does being a Christian have to do with his poll numbers?

Cathedral
11-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Absolutely nothing, he isn't a Christian in my opinion.
I've seen to many out-takes of him and he is no more leading by example than I am.
The diffrence is, he has two persona's whereas i have one struggling with the most asked question in world history, "Why are we here?"

Ooops, was that a catch-phrase or a ponderance? I'm such a cop-out, lmmfao.

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Cat is not required to put on a facade like Chimpy.

How can you tell if Chimpy is lying?

His lips are moving...

:D

FORD
11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I didn't need a poll to tell me that Junior is a lying criminal bastard. It runs in the family.

Guitar Shark
11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Warham
What does being a Christian have to do with his poll numbers?

It has everything to do with it. The only people who are supporting him right now are Christians, by and large.

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey there boys 'n' gurls....

Can you say "delusional"?

Sure...I knew you could...

Warham
11-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
It has everything to do with it. The only people who are supporting him right now are Christians, by and large.

That's their prerogative then.

I sense an undercurrent besides that, though.

BigBadBrian
11-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Absolutely nothing, he isn't a Christian in my opinion.

In THE END, you won't have to make that kind of judgement of him or any other human, will you? ;)

FORD
11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Bump

Hardrock69
11-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Warham
That's their prerogative then.

I sense an undercurrent besides that, though.

Yes. The Christian Fundamentalists will do anything they can to prevent themselves as being seen as supporting a lying, thieving, corrupt, genocidal maniac.

So they will go down with the Chimp. Never admitting that they could possibly be "wrong" instead of on the Right...

:D

DrMaddVibe
11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
bump