PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie

Golden AWe
11-11-2005, 04:39 PM
I recently bought a 3-cd platinum collection by David Bowie...now naturally ZIGGY STARDUST is the best phase of his career, but there are some good songs here and there from his latter albums too...not too much though, I think most of his 80's and 90's albums have been smaller or bigger failures...but what are your favorite albums and songs? He does have a dahm good voice...

Discuss.

Golden AWe
11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
SPACE ODDITY...STARMAN...ZIGGY STARDUST...

ALL THE YOUNG DUDES...LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER...KNOCK ON WOOD...OH! YOU PRETTY THINGS...REBEL, REBEL...DIAMOND DOGS...DRIVE IN SATURDAY...THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD...LIFE ON MARS?...HEROES...LOVING THE ALIEN...

There are a lot of GRATE songs...

Golden AWe
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/wallpaper/images/640/david_bowie.jpg

FORD
11-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Nothing can touch the Ziggy era stuff, but Young Americans was a great album. The late 70's Eno produced stuff is an acquired taste, but there were some great songs in there.

Scary Monsters set a blueprint for the early 80's that dozens of "new wave" bands tried to copy.

Let's Dance would have been an ordinary dance pop album without the addition of a then-unknown guitarist named Stevie Ray Vaughan. Though it's certainly not the blues material he would be known for, SRV brings that record to life.

After that, the only thing Bowie did in the studio that I really connected with was the Tin Machine records. For the first time since the Ziggy era, he was playing as part of a real rock band. Those albums were horribly underrated.

I'd still go to a Bowie concert any time, but don't ask me to name a song off his last album. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Golden AWe
11-12-2005, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the advice...I'm gonna get some of those studio albums you mentioned next...

twonabomber
11-12-2005, 05:46 AM
i liked Never Let Me Down. probably the last good one before the Tin Machine stuff.

i have Outside but i hardly ever listen to it...saw the Bowie tour with nine inch nails that year too.

Soul Reaper
11-12-2005, 08:33 AM
David Bowie albums are fantastic....I have almost every single one of his albums.....and I've got a DVD of his.....he's an excellent songwriter, vocalist and frontmen.....a true artist....he never stuck to one genre.....he always tried new things...

Last_Child
11-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Download the Marquee DVD from Dime!

Friggin' Awesome stuff.
Pro Shot..
Grate Set list..
Mick Ronson!
etc.

fe_lung
11-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I go for the Heroes-Lodger-Low era myself. But really as long as one avoids the Tonight-Never Let Me Down-Tin Machine era, you really can't fail.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
My fave album is "Station to Station". The opening track is incredible. "Stay" kicks ass too IMO (I have the first re-issue, with the 2 live bonus tracks, "Word on a wing" and, above all, "Stay"). I'm fond of that funk-rock stuff.

I dig "Young Americans" (the song) a lot too. Great, great tune. "Suffragette City", "Heroes" (despite advertising pollution), "Ashes to Ashes"... The first single I bought was "Let's dance", and it's still my favorite song by Bowie.
I don't like what he's done since the early 1990s. The last record I bought was Tin Machine.
I dig "Pin Ups" a lot as well. But I haven't got "Low" or "Lodger" yet. So I'm only mentioning the stuff I've known so far. :cool:

Terry
11-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Enjoy most of it through Let's Dance. Can't be bothered after that. Saw a roughly 20 min Tin Machine promo film when I went to see Jimi Plays Monterey in 1989, which was then enjoying a limited theatrical release in small cinema houses...thought Tin Machine just stunk.

Never was a huge Bowie fan, though. No longer have any of his stuff in my collection, but he was purty good back in the day.

Kinda lost enthusiasm for him and Mick Jagger simultaneously when that whole Live Aid Dancing In The Streets remake video was played into the ground...just the worst bunch of insipid poofery. Matter of fact, that's just about the time MTV started going down the suckfest tubes as well.

loss of fools
11-13-2005, 03:57 PM
im a huge fan of the ziggy era bowie, iv tried to get into some of his 80s stuff but i just dident do it for me. saying that i saw bowie last year and he did a mixed set and it was all good.

franksters
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Tin Machine, stellar stuff!

blueturk
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Do yourself a favor and find a boot of "The 1980 Floor Show", Bowies 1973 "Midnight Special" appearance. It kicks ASS!

Wawazat
11-16-2005, 03:08 AM
Ziggy, Aladin Sane, Station to station, Young Americans, Scary Monsters all great albums

I like Heathen a lot