Clear All
  • Pink Spider
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Court Opens Door To Searches Without Warrants

Court Opens Door To Searches Without Warrants

POSTED: 3:55 pm CST March 26, 2004
    UPDATED: 12:45 pm CST March 29, 2004

NEW ORLEANS -- It's a groundbreaking court decision that legal experts say will affect everyone: Police officers in Louisiana no longer need a search or arrest warrant to conduct a brief search of your home or business.

Leaders in law enforcement say it will keep officers safe, but others argue it's a privilege that could be abused.

The decision in United States v. Kelly Gould, No. 0230629cr0, was made March 24 by the New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The ruling stems from a lawsuit filed in Denham Springs in 2000, in which defendant Gould filed a motion to suppress information gleaned from a search of his home. The motion was granted by district court, and the government appealed this decision. The March 24 ruling by the 5th Circuit is an affirmation of that appeal.
    In the case, the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office was contacted on Oct. 17, 2000, by a Gould employee who told officers that Gould intended to kill two judges and unidentified police officers and to destroy telephone company transformers. The LPSO informed the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office of the threats.

A search of Gould's criminal history revealed several arrests and that he was "a convicted felon for violent charges," according to the Facts and Proceedings section of the 5th Circuit ruling.

When officers went to question Gould, they were told he was asleep. The officers asked if they could look inside for Gould, and were allowed to enter.

The officers testified that that they believed a search of the home was necessary to ensure their safety, given the allegations by Gould's employee and Gould's criminal history, according to the Facts and Proceedings section of the 5th Circuit ruling.

Gould's bedroom door was ajar, and officers testified they peered inside and saw no one. Thinking Gould could be hiding, the officers looked in three closets. In one of the closets, the officers found three firearms, according to the Facts and Proceedings section of the 5th Circuit ruling.

Gould was found hiding outside the home a few minutes later. He was taken into custody and questioned about the guns. The officers asked for and received Gould's consent to search the home, with Gould signing a waiver of search warrant. Gould subsequently was arrested for allegedly being a felon in possession of firearms.

New Orleans Police Department spokesman Capt. Marlon Defillo said the new search power, which is effective immediately, will be used judiciously.

"We have to have a legitimate problem to be there in the first place, and if we don't, we can't conduct the search," Defillo said.

But former U.S. Attorney Julian Murray said the ruling is problematic.

"I think it goes way too far," Murray said, noting that the searches can be performed if an officer fears for his safety.

Defillo said he doesn't envision any problems in New Orleans.

"There are checks and balances to make sure the criminal justice system works in an effective manner," Defillo said.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

SIEG OIL!!
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Lousiana's Governor is a Democrat. A WOMAN Democrat. 'Nuff said on that.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

it didn't have anything to do with lousiana or its governor. it was the federal court of appeals (judges appointed by the president) that ruled on this.

and to be honest, i don't see it as a bad ruling.

Comment

• Pink Spider
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
          and to be honest, i don't see it as a bad ruling.
          And why's that?

Comment

• knuckleboner
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

because it allows police to do a preliminary search for safety reasons IF they feel they are in danger; like when an ex-felon has been mentioned to have firearms.

this ruling would NOT allow officers to search through a small jewel chest in an empty room.

especially in this case. the police didn't go to an empty house, rifle through it, find a stash of marijuana and then arrest the guy. they got a tip of danger; were invited into the house, couldn't find the ex-felon they were told had guns and a desire to murder people, and then they looked for him in his house.

Comment

• Pink Spider
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

We all know that cops will never abuse this, just like they never beat black people without a good reason.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

so, the mere possibility of abuse is enough to make it wrong?

in that case, disband all police departments. i'm sure you can find at least 1 crooked cop in each one.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                  so, the mere possibility of abuse is enough to make it wrong?

YES!

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Step by step...

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

I'm wondering who the police asked to enter the house in the first place? I mean, who told them "he was asleep", and authorized them to enter? On it's surface, the title causes alarm. But upon reading the accompanying article, I don't have enough to base a firm opinion. Perhaps you guys have seen more on this story than I (I honestly haven't heard much about it).

This article certainly doesn't give me enough to post a Bush/Hitler pic, that's for sure...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft

This article certainly doesn't give me enough to post a Bush/Hitler pic, that's for sure...
                        Remember that Adolf didn't start off with mass graves and slow roasting Jews in brick ovens. He started with staged terrorist attacks and restricting civil rights & liberties.

Sound familiar?
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

So how is Bush involved with this?

And you still didn't give me any more info to go on.

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Sounds like "Propable Cause" to me...I have been pulled over in my car based on that excuse while Clinton was in office.

This is really nothing new folks, at least not where i live.
                            I know good cops, and some friends of mine and I were supplied beer, whiskey, and pot by another who happened to marry a friends mother.

The point is, to a cop who abuses his authority it really makes no difference what laws are on the books during any administration at any time.
                            Still, I don't like the Constitution messed with...

But the important issue is to weed out and eliminate bad cops whenever possible.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The bad cops are not the issue here though. An unconstitutional ruling from a Federal court is.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...